GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-15-2012, 15:23   #41
SpringerTGO

I'm not an LEO, and don't post in your forum, but......
I appreciate the LEO's who do respond to OC calls. That would be a tough and scarey job.
If the OP had a wife and kids at the mall, and a strange looking guy with an AK slung over his shoulder, a G19 with a 30 round magazine on his belt, and was scoping out the entrance, I wonder how he would feel about LEO's having a talk with the guy?
There's a time and a place for OC, but way too many OC'rs are looking for trouble.......JUST LIKE THE OP.
SpringerTGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 15:31   #42
firefighter4215

I don't OC in populated areas like stores or restaurants. I conceal there. I will OC when hunting, but that hardly counts. Regardless, I see no reason to not cooperate with the police, especially if they are being polite. If you have done nothing wrong, providing ID when requested seems to be no big deal. It is probably the most convenient way to end the encounter quickly and peacefully for everyone involved. I'm in the "just because it's legal doesn't mean it's always a great idea" camp.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
firefighter4215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 15:54   #43
MoneyMaker

I am done with the politics of OC,Fair well
MoneyMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 16:05   #44
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyMaker View Post
I am done with the politics of OC,Fair well
You started the thread... What went wrong?

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 16:59   #45
MoneyMaker

its just a dead horse subject i suppose
Old 02-15-2012, 17:09   #46
nikerret
Mr. Awesome

Quote:
It only comes up every couple of weeks.... If you do a search, several of us have posted, in depth, our thoughts, beliefs, and sometimes, practices, when dealing with armed citizens.

Check Carry Issues and Cop Talk during your search.
nikerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 17:12   #47
RussP

Quote:
Then why did you start it?

Old 02-15-2012, 17:52   #48
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Sweet Jesus, this thread makes my head hurt.

I'm off to pop some popcorn before the lock hits. Who wants some?

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Say NO! to Washington I-594
Morris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 18:10   #49
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris View Post
Sweet Jesus, this thread makes my head hurt.

I'm off to pop some popcorn before the lock hits. Who wants some?
Me! Me! I could use some popcorn...

Morris, you've been in many, more convoluted threads than this one...

Old 02-15-2012, 18:12   #50
JBUS
I'mHellaJelly!

Unloaded Open Carry was allowed here in CA. However, as of Jan '12, they changed the law to NO open carry at all.

I feel that this was due to the over zealous groups who UOC'd everywhere to prove a point. Doing the group UOC at certain business' or areas.

While I did not support how they went about it, I supported what their message was.

I've been asked while out on the street/at calls if I support the law(s) that do not allow open carry, whether loaded or unloaded.

My stance is CA is making 'victims' out of it's upstanding citizens. I believe in CCW and loaded open carry to LAW abiding citizens. BUT due to the state's stance, I will most likely never see it legal in my LEO career.

My Sheriff IS issuing CCW permits now and more frequently but the problem is the back log.
JBUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 18:15   #51
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Morris, you've been in many, more convoluted threads than this one...
True, but I'm getting too old to verbally wrastle with high schoolers.

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Say NO! to Washington I-594
Morris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 18:51   #52
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

Quote:
Ok seein this is being a big issue with the starbuck crazed group,What is your thoughts and reaction each time you get called on a man with gun call when it is to a place that does allow open carry? Do you ticket the person who made the call ? Do you ticket the store manager if he called and his store is not marked no open carry allowed?Why do the police make a man who is sitting at a table having dinner with his family get up and go outside to check him out?If it is legal to open carry then why do you go in and then bother this man ?
i personally don't understand the point of OC. There is absolutely 0 advantage over carrying concealed. The only time im going to OC is if im at work wearing a vest. Even when going to LE classes i choose to carry concealed. I'm not a big fan of making myself a target and hanging a gun on your hip legal or not isn't the best idea. It seems to me most people that are in the OC crowd are just wanting attention. Are you allowed to do it? sure. is it a good idea? i don't think so. Heres a very good link to OC issues:

Old 02-15-2012, 19:49   #53
MoneyMaker

Thats my point i started but it seems others just wanna post TROLL about the subject,How many of them fat little show boats you think have a clue as to how to use weapon retention to save there life or to keep someone from taken there weapon?
Old 02-15-2012, 20:04   #54
G30Mike
Say When!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSU74 View Post
i personally don't understand the point of OC. There is absolutely 0 advantage over carrying concealed. The only time im going to OC is if im at work wearing a vest. Even when going to LE classes i choose to carry concealed. I'm not a big fan of making myself a target and hanging a gun on your hip legal or not isn't the best idea. It seems to me most people that are in the OC crowd are just wanting attention. Are you allowed to do it? sure. is it a good idea? i don't think so. Heres a very good link to OC issues:

Open Carrier Discrimination - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 04/12/10 - Video Clip | Comedy [email]Central
This is the opinion of CCers everywhere. I actually believe OC works as a deterrent against them. Criminals prey on and attack the weak. If you have an obvious means to self defense, they will look elsewhere.
Why do uniformed police officers OC? I believe they do so for better access to their weapons and its by far more comfortable than CC, especially because of all the gear they have to wear.

I personally don't OC for the amusement of uploading youtube videos or the tacticool showoff factor a few OCers do. I do so because one, its a right that I like the choice to have, and to protect myself and my 16 month old son. If some oversensitive citizen is offended by it, well boo hoo for them. I don't like dogs, but I don't ask someone to cover their dog up while they're walking it on a leash. I bet id get a summons if I saw someone walking their pit bull or german shepherd and called 911 over it, even if the dog looked at me menacingly or barked at me.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions and I respect that, I would just rather have the choice to do it if I wanted.
G30Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 20:15   #55
RussP

Quote:
Thats my point i started but it seems others just wanna post TROLL about the subject,
Are you saying others are posting trolling posts, or they are calling you out as a troll?
Quote:
How many of them fat little show boats
Here are the people posting in this thread.
  1. MoneyMaker
  2. G30Mike
  3. RussP
  4. trdvet
  5. whoflungdo
  6. Morris
  7. PuroMexicano
  8. SCSU74
  9. BlisteringSilence
  10. TheeBadOne
  11. Agent6-3/8
  12. firefighter4215
  13. Snowman92D
  14. CJStudent
  15. RocPO
  16. BULLRUNN
  17. DaBigBR
  18. SpringerTGO
  19. nikerret
  20. packsaddle
  21. JBUS
  22. WarCry
  23. gsp174
Who among them are the "fat little show boats"?
Quote:
you think have a clue as to how to use weapon retention to save there life or to keep someone from taken there weapon?
A lot of the posters are law enforcement and have that kind of formal training. Again, which posters are the "fat little show boats"?

Old 02-15-2012, 20:16   #56
firefighter4215

Quote:
i personally don't understand the point of OC. There is absolutely 0 advantage over carrying concealed.
OC does allow for slightly faster access to the weapon compared to CC. How much faster depends on the concealment method utilized. It is also slightly more comfortable for most people. For me, though, those advantages don't outweigh the disadvantages. I definitely don't buy the deterrent argument as a blanket statement. It may work sometimes. Other times it may cause the criminal to identify you as the first target in an ambush. Overall I'm for it being legal, but very rarely exercise that particular right.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
firefighter4215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 20:22   #57
Vigilant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheeBadOne View Post
Don't feed the troll.

Do a search of the OP's recent history.

Don't feed it.
TBO beat me to it. 'Nuff said.
Old 02-15-2012, 20:27   #58
nikerret
Mr. Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris View Post
True, but I'm getting too old to verbally wrastle with high schoolers.
It's not even verbal. You have to type and they have to comprehend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
Are you saying others are posting trolling posts, or they are calling you out as a troll?Here are the people posting in this thread.
  1. MoneyMaker
  2. G30Mike
  3. RussP
  4. trdvet
  5. whoflungdo
  6. Morris
  7. PuroMexicano
  8. SCSU74
  9. BlisteringSilence
  10. TheeBadOne
  11. Agent6-3/8
  12. firefighter4215
  13. Snowman92D
  14. CJStudent
  15. RocPO
  16. BULLRUNN
  17. DaBigBR
  18. SpringerTGO
  19. nikerret
  20. packsaddle
  21. JBUS
  22. WarCry
  23. gsp174
Who among them are the "fat little show boats"?A lot of the posters are law enforcement and have that kind of formal training. Again, which posters are the "fat little show boats"?
I believe he was referring to the previous poster who commented on the groups showing off their ability to carry an unloaded firearm. At least, I hope he was
Old 02-15-2012, 20:28   #59
MoneyMaker

Russ i meant the video that was presented,Geez you all want to find **** to point out about everything besides what the topic was,I have come to the conclusion you are some different folks with high strung attitudes,So long Have a good time pretending to be what you cant be.
Old 02-15-2012, 20:29   #60
nikerret
Mr. Awesome

Quote:
i personally don't understand the point of OC. There is absolutely 0 advantage over carrying concealed.
There are pros and cons to both methods of carry as much as there are pros and cons to different methods of concealed carry.