Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:57   #1
verdugo60

Turned in my first police recruit application.

After a long time considering different avenues and getting a lot of good advice off of here I have decided to try for some local PD positions in the Denver, CO area.

Turned in my first one today, supposedly will get a letter of invite to test(obstacle course and written test) if I meet minimum qualifications, which I think I do.

Only thing I worry about is that I have had 3 tickets in the last 5 years. Two for speeding, one for running a "pink" light. Don't have anything else in my past. Tried to disclose full info, but did not put anything under "action taken against license" since I just didn't know.

I am planning to shotgun apply to all the PD's in the area that are hiring with intent to put recruits through the academy. If I get hired by one before I graduate this coming December, all the better. I can finish the last semester doing online or night classes.

Anyways, having trouble sleeping partly because of falling asleep on the couch earlier and partly because I can't stop visualizing hopping my big butt over the 6' wall and running through the other obstacles. It's gonna be epic!

Just thought I would update ya'll and check in since it's been a while.
verdugo60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:58   #2
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

When they ask about action against your license, they're almost certainly looking for suspensions, revocations, and the like.

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:03   #3
verdugo60

Oh, gotcha. I answered that in another section. Never had any.
Old 02-22-2012, 15:41   #4
verdugo60

You guys are supposed to tell me how, if you were on a hiring board you would hire me first. And that I won't even be out of breath after the agility test. And how I will have a meteoric rise in the department and get hired from my very first application!

Last edited by verdugo60; 02-22-2012 at 15:42..
Old 02-22-2012, 16:24   #5
JBaird22

OP, I am going to tell you this, LE, is a profession where nothing ever seems to go right. So, be prepared for rejection, having your dreams pissed on and other forms of disappointment. That said, if you really want to be a cop, you'll keep pressing on. Coping mechanisms are your friend.

Former Certified Super Glock fixer
JBaird22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 17:00   #6
Patchman
Florist

It's usually a very long road before walking across that stage to get sworn in. Just ask some of the other posters here!

You just started, so... keep the faith and your eyes on the ball.

In a gunfight, even if you do everything right, you can still get killed.
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 17:03   #7
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdugo60 View Post

Only thing I worry about is that I have had 3 tickets in the last 5 years. Two for speeding, one for running a "pink" light.
:
You need to kill that "pink" light stuff. You ran a red light. It was your choice and it was a poor choice.

In general, if you do anything other than accept what you did, it looks like you have problems with honesty, reality or a number of other issues.

This is something that will help you.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

"Few men desire liberty; most men wish only for a just master." - Sallust
Rabbi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 18:10   #8
KiloBravo
Lifetime Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchman View Post
It's usually a very long road before walking across that stage to get sworn in. Just ask some of the other posters here!

You just started, so... keep the faith and your eyes on the ball.
Agreed! Good luck OP, and I second what Rabbi said about admitting any wrong doings immediately and be truthful through the entire process.

Now if you all will excuse me, I am going to get ready to go for a run.
Old 02-22-2012, 20:27   #9
kayl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
you need to kill that "pink" light stuff. You ran a red light. It was your choice and it was a poor choice.

In general, if you do anything other than accept what you did, it looks like you have problems with honesty, reality or a number of other issues.

+1...
If I saw a guy robbing a bank I would get on my horse and cut his head off with my katana.
kayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 20:45   #10
TMNKWD

People make mistakes. You learn from those mistakes and you don’t make excuses for those mistakes. Whatever it is, you own it – after all,it’s yours! There are no “pink” lights. There are red lights and yellow lights and green lights. What color was the light when you entered the intersection? What are the consequences for entering the intersection when the light is that color? Every day you live, you learn. You’re not going to be excluded because you ran a red light – that’s an excuse. You won’t get accepted because you don’t know the difference between being truthful and making excuses for your behavior.

Hey, good luck though. ;-)

Last edited by TMNKWD; 02-22-2012 at 20:47..
TMNKWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 20:48   #11
TMNKWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
you need to kill that "pink" light stuff. You ran a red light. It was your choice and it was a poor choice.

+1,000.00097
TMNKWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 20:56   #12
verdugo60

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaird22 View Post
OP, I am going to tell you this, LE, is a profession where nothing ever seems to go right. So, be prepared for rejection, having your dreams pissed on and other forms of disappointment. That said, if you really want to be a cop, you'll keep pressing on. Coping mechanisms are your friend.
Roger that, I am simply trying to be positive. I know that for many it is a matter of years rather than months to be hired. I also know it's what you make of it a lot of times.
Old 02-22-2012, 21:03   #13
Top_Shot_31

Some of the best advice I heard regarding applications for LE jobs is this: There is NOTHING in your life that you have done that is worse than lying about it.

So when I fill out applications and it asks if I've ever been fired, I say yes, I have. It may have been when I was in high school, and it may have been for petty reasons, but they never asked why. They just asked if. After being honest with yourself (and with the department's application), it becomes easier to do and you begin to stop trying to justify they things you've done. Just be 100% honest, don't try to justify anything, and let the chips fall where they may.

Best of luck to you. It sucks reading some of the posts on here about guys who have been applying for two or three years and getting zero bites. Hopefully the process is quicker and more painless for you.
Fast forward 6 months for the DUI trial. Prosecutor is reviewing the booking room video and asks me why I am moon-walking while the drunk offender is hopping around in slow motion in a big white suit.

Last edited by Top_Shot_31; 02-22-2012 at 21:04..
Top_Shot_31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 22:31   #14
verdugo60

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNKWD View Post
People make mistakes. You learn from those mistakes and you donít make excuses for those mistakes. Whatever it is, you own it Ė after all,itís yours! There are no ďpinkĒ lights. There are red lights and yellow lights and green lights. What color was the light when you entered the intersection? What are the consequences for entering the intersection when the light is that color? Every day you live, you learn. Youíre not going to be excluded because you ran a red light Ė thatís an excuse. You wonít get accepted because you donít know the difference between being truthful and making excuses for your behavior.

Hey, good luck though. ;-)
The pink light statement was simply an attempt at humor. I obviously took ownership of it as I paid the ticket promptly and was up front.

The light WAS yellow when I entered the intersection, the pink joke was because I wasn't clear when it turned red. Should I have entered with heavy traffic and a yellow light? Probably not, and normally I wouldn't. Only reason I did was because I was at the time working with a severely handicapped individual that was about to lose it to anxiety and was about ready to put his head through the window. All the same, I had to pay the consequences.

Thanks for the good advice, and point taken on not making excuses, just being upfront.
Old 02-22-2012, 22:34   #15
verdugo60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Shot_31 View Post
Some of the best advice I heard regarding applications for LE jobs is this: There is NOTHING in your life that you have done that is worse than lying about it.

So when I fill out applications and it asks if I've ever been fired, I say yes, I have. It may have been when I was in high school, and it may have been for petty reasons, but they never asked why. They just asked if. After being honest with yourself (and with the department's application), it becomes easier to do and you begin to stop trying to justify they things you've done. Just be 100% honest, don't try to justify anything, and let the chips fall where they may.

Best of luck to you. It sucks reading some of the posts on here about guys who have been applying for two or three years and getting zero bites. Hopefully the process is quicker and more painless for you.

Thanks for the well wishes. I hate seeing some of the dudes on here that can't catch a break, it sucks for them and is disheartening for me. I'm just hoping that with enough departments hiring and my Spanish and maybe a little luck I will get a fair shot. We will see...
Old 02-22-2012, 22:35   #16
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
The pink light statement was simply an attempt at humor. I obviously took ownership of it as I paid the ticket promptly and was up front.

The light WAS yellow when I entered the intersection, the pink joke was because I wasn't clear when it turned red. Should I have entered with heavy traffic and a yellow light? Probably not, and normally I wouldn't. Only reason I did was because I was at the time working with a severely handicapped individual that was about to lose it to anxiety and was about ready to put his head through the window. All the same, I had to pay the consequences.

Thanks for the good advice, and point taken on not making excuses, just being upfront.
You are still missing the point.

It is as simple as "I ran a red light"

If you cant understand that, you are probably in for a hard time with what you are trying to do.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

Old 02-22-2012, 22:35   #17
verdugo60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
You need to kill that "pink" light stuff. You ran a red light. It was your choice and it was a poor choice.

Point well taken Rabbi thank you.
Old 02-22-2012, 22:38   #18
verdugo60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
You are still missing the point.

It is as simple as "I ran a red light"

If you cant understand that, you are probably in for a hard time with what you are trying to do.
I understand what you mean. I think I have a pretty good moral compass, and I know that was not the best choice. Live and learn. Just glad it wasn't a bigger "learning experience" involving something like a felony.
Old 02-22-2012, 22:41   #19
SAR
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
The light WAS yellow when I entered the intersection
Don't know about your state, but in California, it is not illegal to enter an intersection with a yellow light. If you don't take 100% ownership of running a red light, you will never be hired. I don't know if it is stubborn pride or inability to accept responsibility, but most candidates who do not get hired refuse to own up to simple mistakes which are no big DEAL, but refusal to admit to them IS.
Old 02-22-2012, 22:44   #20
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
I understand what you mean. I think I have a pretty good moral compass, and I know that was not the best choice. Live and learn. Just glad it wasn't a bigger "learning experience" involving something like a felony.
You are STILL missing the point.

"I ran a red light. It was my fault and it was a poor choice" (or similar language)

That is it. It is a test and you are going to have to take it, maybe several times. You suck thus far.