GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 23:44   #1
clogspecialist
10-head
 
clogspecialist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 79
Why is 10mm so expensive?

I understand that the 10mm auto is sort of "rare" or exotic, but even though not many handguns are chambered for it, it should not be $33 a box of 50! the lowest ive ever gotten it was about a year ago.... CCI blazer (aluminum case) 200gr fmj going 1050fps. at that time the cost was $24 a box of 50, now that same box is about $30. not to mention self defense/hunting ammo can be as much as $40 a box of 20! thats just wallet rape. anyways because of these prices i havent been able to shoot my glock that much. have only had it for a year and only 400rds down the pipe, 100 of those being cci blazer, the rest being crappy (but accurate) federal american eagle (dirtiest ammo i have ever experienced). so i am highly considering getting into reloading. will ammo prices ever go back down, or will the current copper costs and value of the dollar going down continue to negatively effect the prices of basic bang bang?
clogspecialist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 23:50   #2
PrecisionRifleman
Senior Member
 
PrecisionRifleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,306
Your simply not buying it at the right place. Check around online, but if you really want full power ammo at reasonable prices start handloading.
__________________
PrecisionRifleman

G20SF
Gen4 G23
PrecisionRifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 23:50   #3
Tiro Fijo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 6,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by clogspecialist View Post
...or will the current copper costs and value of the dollar going down continue to negatively effect the prices of basic bang bang?

Ammo prices have NEVER gone back to where they were in history. Has a Big Mac? An auto? Historically speaking, ammo is cheaper today than in the 1800's relative to buying power. Example: the average monthly wage in the 1870's was about $20 and 1,000 rds. of Win. 44-40 cost $40 or better, i.e., TWO months entire salary. Besides, you will never be able to be a good shot shooting only factory fodder. You'll go broke first. Reloading saves money AND you can make better ammo.
Tiro Fijo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 23:52   #4
PrecisionRifleman
Senior Member
 
PrecisionRifleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
Ammo prices have NEVER gone back to where they were in history. Has a Big Mac? An auto? Historically speaking, ammo is cheaper today than in the 1800's relative to buying power. Example: the average monthly wage in the 1870's was about $20 and 1,000 rds. of Win. 44-40 cost $40 or better, i.e., TWO months entire salary. Besides, you will never be able to be a good shot shooting only factory fodder. You'll go broke first. Reloading saves money AND you can make better ammo.
Very true. Factory ammo is far to expensive to really be able to spent time with your weapon like you should in order to become really proficient with it.
__________________
PrecisionRifleman

G20SF
Gen4 G23
PrecisionRifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 00:00   #5
MinnesnowtaWild
Senior Member
 
MinnesnowtaWild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 553
Judging by all your frustrated posts about your G20 (grips too big, ammo too expensive) you should consider selling it or trading it for a different gun.
MinnesnowtaWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 00:06   #6
LASTRESORT20
LongTerm-Guy
 
LASTRESORT20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 7,678
`Its Well Worth It.....G20SF`
LASTRESORT20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 00:30   #7
Wonder140
Senior Member
 
Wonder140's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 533
For SD ammo, go Underwood. I personally use their ammo for range days too. Great price, fantastic power.

I saw on palmetto armory that they have some stuff for 17-18 bucks a box of 50. Probably not a hot round but if you want cheap ammo, there you go.

Problem solved.
Wonder140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:14   #8
alwaysshootin
Senior Member
 
alwaysshootin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 5,060
HERE YOU GO!

http://www.underwoodammo.com/
__________________
If guns kill people, then, I can blame my pencil on my spelling!
alwaysshootin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:40   #9
fredj338
Senior Member
 
fredj338's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: so.cal.
Posts: 21,651
Blog Entries: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by clogspecialist View Post
so i am highly considering getting into reloading. will ammo prices ever go back down, or will the current copper costs and value of the dollar going down continue to negatively effect the prices of basic bang bang?
You'll not see a lot of drop in ammo prices because the copper & lead goes down a bit. The increases are as much a part of the high fuel prices that affect everything & the falling dollar as the raw mat'l.
You answered your own question, the 10mm is a cult cartridge w/ few guns being made for it. A good round for sure, but so is the 41mag, price ammo for that bad boy! It's always about supply & demand & there just isn't that much deman for 10mm ammo to justify breakign down commercial equip & running off small batches, so it's expensive. Priced 25acp lately? Yeah, 10mm, like any of the magnum rounds, is a handloaders prop if you want the best performance & cheapest cost.
__________________
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 02-08-2012 at 10:41..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:44   #10
K1500
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 169
Hmmmm...BVAC works out to around $19 per box at CTD.
K1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:11   #11
English
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: London
Posts: 5,546
10mm is priced high so that only a better quality of people use it.

Either that or it is supply and demand but that would be a boring explanation.

English
English is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:15   #12
dtuns
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 95
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index....stol-ammo-10mm
dtuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:03   #13
clogspecialist
10-head
 
clogspecialist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysshootin View Post
I THINK YOU HAVE SHOWED ME THE LIGHT!

but seriously these are very good prices, and the reviews show nothing but excellence. As long as they dont get backed up for months like Reed's ammo, i will be ordering from this company for a while. i also like that this ammunition isnt "watered down" like the rest of the factory ammo available.
clogspecialist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:06   #14
clogspecialist
10-head
 
clogspecialist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtuns View Post
these prices arent bad at all, the cheapest is obviously the "Right to bear Ammo", but this company seems shady, never heard of them before, nor seen anyone talk of them
clogspecialist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:08   #15
clogspecialist
10-head
 
clogspecialist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASTRESORT20 View Post
`Its Well Worth It.....G20SF`
If i could magically swap my regular G20 for a 20SF i definently would, although there couldnt be very much of a difference in grip size, might be enough to make my accuracy a WEE bit better
clogspecialist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 18:43   #16
OctoberRust
Anti-Federalist
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by clogspecialist View Post
If i could magically swap my regular G20 for a 20SF i definently would, although there couldnt be very much of a difference in grip size, might be enough to make my accuracy a WEE bit better

if your accuracy is being handicapped by that grip, then it's time for a new gun. Even if it's in a smaller caliber. Using caliber as a substitute for skill may land you in a whole world of hurt if god forbid you ever have to use that firearm to protect yourself.
OctoberRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 19:16   #17
clogspecialist
10-head
 
clogspecialist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberRust View Post
if your accuracy is being handicapped by that grip, then it's time for a new gun. Even if it's in a smaller caliber. Using caliber as a substitute for skill may land you in a whole world of hurt if god forbid you ever have to use that firearm to protect yourself.
One of the reasons i went with a glock is because of affordability, in the same price range my only other considered firearm in the price range would be a ruger gp100, or maybe a cheapo 1911-which i shoot best
clogspecialist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 19:23   #18
Wonder140
Senior Member
 
Wonder140's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by clogspecialist View Post
If i could magically swap my regular G20 for a 20SF i definently would, although there couldnt be very much of a difference in grip size, might be enough to make my accuracy a WEE bit better
I have the 20sf. I held both before I purchased it. The 20sf was a big difference imo. The 20 feels like a 2x4 in my hand while the 20sf feels just right. If the 20 is to big, others are right, you will not shoot it properly and your accuracy will suffer.

In any event, your price complaint was handled.
Wonder140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 19:27   #19
Roering
Sorting nuts
 
Roering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by clogspecialist View Post
I understand that the 10mm auto is sort of "rare" or exotic, but even though not many handguns are chambered for it, it should not be $33 a box of 50! the lowest ive ever gotten it was about a year ago.... CCI blazer (aluminum case) 200gr fmj going 1050fps. at that time the cost was $24 a box of 50, now that same box is about $30. not to mention self defense/hunting ammo can be as much as $40 a box of 20! thats just wallet rape. anyways because of these prices i havent been able to shoot my glock that much. have only had it for a year and only 400rds down the pipe, 100 of those being cci blazer, the rest being crappy (but accurate) federal american eagle (dirtiest ammo i have ever experienced). so i am highly considering getting into reloading. will ammo prices ever go back down, or will the current copper costs and value of the dollar going down continue to negatively effect the prices of basic bang bang?
Sounds to me like a certain someone didn't think their firearm purchase through very carefully Hmmmmm?
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Warranty voiding

Never buy vegan tacos from a chick with longer armpit hair than yourself. - Woofie
Roering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 19:28   #20
PrecisionRifleman
Senior Member
 
PrecisionRifleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,306
The 20sf grip is quite a bit smaller than the regular g20. If Glock didn't make the SF I would have sadly not been able to own a 10mm Glock. The difference for me is significant.

Edit : honestly if your not happy with it sell it. Us 10 ringers love the 10mm, and none of us want bad publicity for the round since we all want to see the popularity grow. Just like any other firearm its not for everyone. Sell the thing and try an SF model or get a 9mm. That should solve your complaints.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
__________________
PrecisionRifleman

G20SF
Gen4 G23

Last edited by PrecisionRifleman; 02-08-2012 at 22:15..
PrecisionRifleman is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 13:31.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,257
278 Members
979 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 16:42