GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2013, 07:39   #1
etcetera
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 53
Aftermarket 17L barrels

What is a good choice for an aftermarket 17L 6" barrel?
KKM, Bar Sto, Wilson?
With most accuracy.
etcetera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:35   #2
SJ 40
Senior Member
 
SJ 40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vermont
Posts: 6,387
The gun smith fit Bar Sto or Jarvis should get you where you want to be but then again if you are looking for a bulls eye gun you may want to look at a design other than a Glock. SJ 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:45   #3
etcetera
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 53
I have seen impressive practical type accuracy with a custom barrel. Never occured to ask what brand it was.

What does fitting the barrel entail? I suppose I need to find a gunsmith.
I haven't yet test driven the 17L yet so don't know how well it groups. First impression is, essier to align the sights versus anything with a short barrel, the longer radius is nice.

Last edited by etcetera; 12-25-2013 at 08:49..
etcetera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 09:12   #4
happie2shoot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 478
There are many things that make a pistol accurate, the inside of the
barrel is just one of them and not the most important, tightness of the hood
(back top of barrel) front of barrel and lugs (bottom of barrel) slide tightness.

If you are going to shoot jacketed bullets to SAAMI Spec. a Lone Wolf will be
a good barrel, they are tight but that is part of being match grade, and they
are cheeper.

Any barrel you get can be improved on by lapping and reaming or polishing the
the chamber larger.
happie2shoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 09:13   #5
BamaTrooper
Almost Done
 
BamaTrooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: football heaven
Posts: 11,671
Send a message via Yahoo to BamaTrooper
Quote:
Originally Posted by etcetera View Post
I have seen impressive practical type accuracy with a custom barrel. Never occured to ask what brand it was.

What does fitting the barrel entail? I suppose I need to find a gunsmith.
I haven't yet test driven the 17L yet so don't know how well it groups. First impression is, essier to align the sights versus anything with a short barrel, the longer radius is nice.
What type shooting are you planning on doing?
__________________
"Some people learn by words, some people learn by consequences, some people can't learn." CNS
BamaTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 09:27   #6
happie2shoot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 478
When I was in gunsmithing school , started in 1987, I got an Auto Ordnance 1911 to match grade.

The inside of the barrel was the worst I had ever seen, some or the rifling was torn
out and I thought it would never shoot good.The hood was loose so was the lugs, the bushing and slide loose, everything was bad, It was a good learning experience.

After welding up and refitting the loose barrel tighting the slide and everything else
it would shoot 3/4'' at 25yds in a Ransom Rest.
happie2shoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 09:33   #7
happie2shoot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 478
LWD Barrel M/17L 9mm 6" Stock Length $124.95

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.a...OD=923&CAT=238
happie2shoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 10:08   #8
etcetera
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 53
Target shooting at 50m.
etcetera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 12:16   #9
Bruce M
Senior Member
 
Bruce M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: S FL
Posts: 20,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by happie2shoot View Post
When I was in gunsmithing school , started in 1987, I got an Auto Ordnance 1911 to match grade.

The inside of the barrel was the worst I had ever seen, some or the rifling was torn
out and I thought it would never shoot good.The hood was loose so was the lugs, the bushing and slide loose, everything was bad, It was a good learning experience.

After welding up and refitting the loose barrel tighting the slide and everything else
it would shoot 3/4'' at 25yds in a Ransom Rest.
Could you get a Glock 17L to do that? Would there be other pistols that would be easierto get to do that?
__________________
Bruce
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 13:31   #10
happie2shoot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
Could you get a Glock 17L to do that? Would there be other pistols that would be easierto get to do that?
Some Glock shoot pretty good in stock form, they are a combat type pistol but so was the 1911 and look what can be done with it.

If the barrel locks in the slide without slop at both ends it will shoot better than most can hold, how good that is I am not sure.

I quit shooting NRA bullseye in 93 because my eyes are not too good, floaters.

One of my favorite shooters is a 6'' GP-100 357 Ruger, if you can stand revolvers.

I have tested many of them and I can tell you from much experience that 3'' at 100yds is not too hard to get with jacket and cast bullets.

The Ruger SRH in 44mag and 454casull do it too, the other day I got under 2'' at 100yds with 314gr cast in the 44, 6 shots, 5 was in 1'', that was a good day.

Yes I need a scope and a rest and I can't do it all the time.

With all my magnums I can get good accuracy with light and heavy loads, good acc = under 1'' at 25 yds.

Most of what I shoot is cast boolits as I can load for about
.08 pr shot, I cast my own boolits.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/
happie2shoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 19:00   #11
etcetera
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 53
I want to see what a long slide with a custom match barrel can do at 100m.
etcetera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 19:16   #12
domino1
Senior Member
 
domino1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: OH
Posts: 120
The big limitation of the Glock would be the trigger and the sights. If you improve on them then you can get the 17L to shoot better. I am sure there are several that can chime in on what they have done to improve their pistols.
__________________
Gen 1 17L P/// Gen 2 17L, 17, 19,
Gen 2.5 26 /// Gen 3 34 17 RTF2 /// Gen 4 17 19 34
GSSF
domino1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:47   #13
etcetera
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 53
17L has a nicer trigger than 17, it's a little lighter it seems.
I wonder if I can install a different connector to make it even lighter.
etcetera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:33   #14
jcshelto
Member
 
jcshelto's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: FSGA
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by etcetera View Post
What is a good choice for an aftermarket 17L 6" barrel?
KKM, Bar Sto, Wilson?
With most accuracy.
I have a lone wolf threaded 17L barrel and don't recommend it. I find I get better accuracy with the stock barrel. Also, the headspace is not nearly as generous, so it won't take about half my reloads. When I called lone wolf, they blamed it on "match tolerances."

They wanted 30 bucks to even look at it. I am keeping it for when I get a suppressor, then I can custom load the 147gr bullets for the barrel, but I am done with their barrels.
__________________
_______________________________________________
Active Duty Army
NRA, GOA, SAF, USPSA, IDPA Members
10mm and Longslide Evangelist
jcshelto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 13:39   #15
happie2shoot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcshelto View Post
I have a lone wolf threaded 17L barrel and don't recommend it. I find I get better accuracy with the stock barrel. Also, the headspace is not nearly as generous, so it won't take about half my reloads. When I called lone wolf, they blamed it on "match tolerances."

They wanted 30 bucks to even look at it. I am keeping it for when I get a suppressor, then I can custom load the 147gr bullets for the barrel, but I am done with their barrels.
I think most barrels need lapped to shoot their best,
shooting jacketed bullets will help but its slow.

I near give up on some Ruger barrels but after shooting 3 or
400 rds they would shoot 3/4'' at 25 yards.
happie2shoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:06.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 661
192 Members
469 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42