Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:25   #1
msgtmmgn

Which Is Better? Glock Made in Austria or USA?

I know that Glock Austria is still using Tenifer treatment to hardened the steel for the slide. Tenifer treatment is one of the advantage that made the Glock famous. It's hardened slide on all their Glock pistols known to resist corrosion very well and it's durability...

Then we have Glock USA using other treatment to equal the Tenifer treatment in Austrian made Glock.

Alot of torture test I read and seen on website, including here in "Glocktalk" (THREAD TITLE - i think my 21 has proven its durability) are mostly made in Austria. So the question in my mind is, does Glock made in the USA can match up the durabilty of the the Glock slide made in Austria with proven Tenifer treatment, in a side by side torture test?

An innocent question in my mind, hope somebody can share their experienced insight in that matters...

Thank you once again Glockers...
msgtmmgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:59   #2
hunter 111

When was the last time you bought anything usa made that was not junk, put together wrong, or broke quick.
Todays usa businesses model is make crap, lifetime warranty it then go out of business.
Sad but true

Last edited by hunter 111; 10-09-2014 at 09:02..
hunter 111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:07   #3
DJCantonGA

All my Glocks are made in Austria.

So, Austria. Hands down.

John 3:16
Matthew 6:34

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
DJCantonGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:09   #4
WT

Österreich!
WT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:18   #5
HEXE9
Shootin' Fool

If it weren't for the "USA" or "AUSTRIA" on the slide, nobody here could tell the difference, period.

It all comes down to which of those you prefer to have on the slide.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:26   #6
proguide

Glock stopped using the Tenifer process years ago. They are of equal quality. The frames all get molded the same way using the same process specs. The internal metal parts are all stamped out the same way from the same material. And the milling process for the forged parts ....again the same. These are not custom pistols fit by trained gunsmiths. They are a mass produced consumable that function as designed. Gaston struck gold with that design as it is a simple machine that works well. Sure to be timeless for that exact reason. A great tool.
proguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:27   #7
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEXE9 View Post
If it weren't for the "USA" or "AUSTRIA" on the slide, nobody here could tell the difference, period.

Yep..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:31   #8
Flincher

USA vs Austria

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEXE9 View Post

Absolutely
Flincher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:22   #9
AMZ

If I was buying another , and given the choice between the two, I would choose Austria.

Because my Mom is from Vienna.

The last 5 Glocks I bought ,are all Gen4 Austrian, but I didn't even look at that until I got home.

Last edited by AMZ; 10-09-2014 at 10:23..
AMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:25   #10
beyonddisturbed

I own all Austria models but wouldn't mind a USA one just because I think they are cool. No difference in the ones I have handled.
beyonddisturbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:54   #11
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter 111 View Post
When was the last time you bought anything usa made that was not junk, put together wrong, or broke quick.
Todays usa businesses model is make crap, lifetime warranty it then go out of business.
Sad but true
I buy good USA made stuff all the time. In fact the general quality of US made products is far superior to just about everything, with the exception of cars and some electronics. I think you may be a nut.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:58   #12
Pluto

When Mr. Glock first started his firearms factory, "he hired three dozen workers, many of them Turkish immigrants".

"Glock, The Rise of America's Gun' by Paul Barrett.

So if your gun is made in Austria, that doesn't mean it's made by Austrians. It's just a good design that can be done almost entirely by CNC machines.

And tennifer is a metal treatment, not the finish you see. here's a post by a knowledgeable person on this very forum:

"1.) The EPA did not outlaw anything... PERIOD! The process is used in the auto industry, etc. every minute of every day in the U.S. Yes, it is (and always HAS BEEN) regulated. But, no it is not banned. This is a common process in the metal industry, and we still do it here, there, and everywhere! Older bath processes have been phased out for newer approaches that result in less waste, but that is true worldwide. The finished product and results are the same... harder metal! It is not banned!
2.) The mythology associated magically with only the Tennifer brand name, which is simply branded by other names in the U.S. (including Melonite, etc., see below). Tennifer is NOT better than Melonite, Tufftride, or QPQ... THEY ARE THE SAME, but the marketing department uses different regional brand names!
3.) The confusion between the finish (which absolutely is different/worse for some Glock versions, of late), versus the metal hardening treatment (which is the hardening process, and has NOTHING to do with the cosmetic scuffs to the aforementioned finish).

Glock stopped referring to Tenifer on their web site for good reason... regional brand names were not the same for all countries (Tenifer is not appropriate for the US market). They can also use generics (not one of the many brands owned by Hef-Durferrit). The Tenifer name is reserved for other regions of the world. From Hef Durferrit's site (the company that owns the product and the Tennifer brand name):

"Controlled Liquid Ionic Nitriding (CLIN) is the family name of different nitriding / nitrocarburizing processes which are well known under the tradenames ARCOR®, TENIFER®, TUFFTRIDE®, MELONITE® or QPQ®."

Go to their web site. They own it, and spell it out clearly.

These processes are all in use in all parts of the world. It results in harder, more corrosion resistant metal. Tennifer is NOT a trade-name marketed in the U.S. (it is how they brand in Europe) That is why it isn't on the U.S. version of the Glock web site. There are non-Hef-Durferrit (generic and competing) brands that also exist. Gas has displaced liquid for many applications due to environmental and regulatory reasons, BUT YOUR GUN IS JUST AS WELL HARDENED AS IT EVER WAS!!!!"

And a link to the thread in case you want to read all four pages of the posts:
[url]http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1545015[/url]
Pluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 11:02   #13
tbob38

Have both, like both.
tbob38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 11:27   #14
boilergonzo

Tennifer discussion is in other threads, and it simply doesn't matter (all have a metal hardening treatment).

Quality of manufacturing? It does not always associate with country of origin.

A Honda made in the US is a Honda.
A Chevy Vega made in Ohio, California, or Canada is a Chevy Vega...

Changes CAN happen in quality, but companies that pay close attention to quality pick places to manufacture that they CAN control product quality. And good companies DO control quality.

I will happily buy a tire from Yokohama made in Mississippi, Virginia, or Japan. I also will happily buy an Intel chip made in the US, Ireland, or China. And I will also happily buy a Glock made in both Austria or Georgia.

Now if I am buying for the pure purpose of collecting (not just general use), location of manufacture matters a lot... some will have strong preferences for a German or Russian Makarov over a Bulgarian or other version... In that case the Austrian name may resonate more.
boilergonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 13:05   #15
Mike-M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluto View Post
When Mr. Glock first started his firearms factory...

And tennifer is a metal treatment...
The mythology associated magically with only the Tennifer...
Tennifer is NOT better than...
Glock stopped referring to Tenifer on their web site for good reason...
(Tenifer is not appropriate for the US market...).
The Tenifer name is reserved for other regions of the world.
From Hef Durferrit's site (the company that owns the product and the Tennifer brand name)...
...the family name of different nitriding / nitrocarburizing processes which are well known under the tradenames ARCOR®, TENIFER®, TUFFTRIDE®, MELONITE® or QPQ®.
Tennifer is NOT a trade-name marketed in the U.S. ...

Go to their web site. They own it, and spell it out clearly.
They also spell "Tenifer" correctly, a technique that lends credence to any written argument. I agree with most of your posting...it is somewhat similar to postings I have made on GT several times since 2012...but correct spelling of the main topic of the post would increase the power of the presentation. Anything written to the internet will be there forever.

Also, Glock has not "stopped referring to Tenifer on their web site". The Tenifer reference appears in multiple places on their European site:

http://eu.glock.com/english/pistols_intro.htm
http://eu.glock.com/english/pistols_adv06.htm
http://eu.glock.com/english/pistols_adv08.htm

It's made in even more places than the above citations on the Glock European site, if one searches in all of the several languages found there.

All of which should (but won't) be sufficient to dismiss distressingly-common false statements found on GT like:

Quote:
Originally Posted by proguide View Post
Glock stopped using the Tenifer process years ago.
With respect to the original posting, I prefer my Glocks to be Austrian-made, just as I prefer my BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Ferrari, and Yugo to be made in their respective country of origin. (OK...I don't really have any of those automobiles...I'm being rhetorical.)
Mike-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 13:29   #16
Mainspring13

aren't "Made in Austria" Glocks unless proofed in Austria, really assembled in Smyrna, GA with imported parts from Austria?

so technically, USA or Austria marked both made in US in essence?

same treatment process, just different name for it depending on origin of the slide?

Last edited by Mainspring13; 10-09-2014 at 13:32..
Mainspring13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 13:31   #17
Gen421

Is this a trick question?
Gen421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 13:33   #18
Gen421

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainspring13 View Post
aren't "Made in Austria" Glocks unless proofed in Austria, really assembled in Smyrna, GA with imported parts from Austria?

so technically, USA or Austria marked both made in US in essence?

same treatment process, just different name for it depending on origin of the slide?
WRONG Bud, The Austrian models are MADE and ASSEMBLED in Austria!
Gen421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 13:34   #19
Bruce M

I am not sure there is a big difference between the Austrian and US made versions. My guess is that there is probably more difference between individual Glocks than any statistical difference between those made here and those made in Europe.

And I am uncertain everything made in the US is of poor quality. Rumor has it that from locomotives to heavy trucks and equipment, to airplanes, to some network and server equipment and a few medical things here and there, our products range from competitive to world class. And the new Corvette seems to compare fairly well if there is a performance per dollar scale or graph.

Oh, and so far my Smith and Wesson Model 41 seems to hold its own against some Umarex .22s.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.

Last edited by Bruce M; 10-09-2014 at 13:36..
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 13:41   #20
AH.74

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter 111 View Post
Sad but true
I have a new USA G19 I bought back in May. It was available and at the right price.

If you took the stamps off of it, there is NO WAY you could tell it was any different from another Austria-stamped G19.

They are exactly the same. Quality is superb.
AH.74 is offline   Reply With Quote