Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-11-2012, 17:43   #1
B-One

My New LCR 22

This is going to be fun! I've burned up 100 rounds so far today and would have gone through an entire brick if it hadn't been so stinking cold out. The bulk pack Remington ammo had one or two light strikes per cylinder, but the Thunderbolt worked flawlessly.

I bought it ostensibly for inexpensive practice as an understudy for my .38 LCR. Five hundred rounds of .22 are about the same price as 50 rounds of .38; ten times the trigger pulls for the same cost. I figured that the cost of the .22 LCR was equivalent to about 1500 rounds of .38 special ammo. I know it would take me quite a while to burn up 1500 rounds of .38 simply because it isn't terribly pleasant to shoot from the LCR. On the other hand, 1500 rounds of .22 are going to go pretty quick and be an absolute riot.

In the long run, I guess I realize that it isn't going to be cheaper because I am going to be shooting more. But that can't be all that bad, can it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-02-11 17.13.23.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	224.3 KB
ID:	222849
B-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 18:58   #2
G19aps

Love my LCR 22 as well. I have the XS sights and boot grip on my 38 LCR and am not sure which way I'm going to go as far as setting these 2 guns up to be as similar as possible. I will put the boot grip on the LCR 22 but am actually thinking about putting a standard Ruger front sight on the LCR 38 and taking off the XS sight.
G19aps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 19:34   #3
Foxtrotx1

I'm about to pick up a Smith 317 snub .22 snubs look like fun.

Eagle Scout.
Foxtrotx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 19:38   #4
JDMitchell

I have wanted an LCR since I shot my buddy's .357. The .22 would make a great range tool. Have fun!
JDMitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 19:56   #5
Berto
woo woo

Good call, a snub .22 is practical as hell, great understudy to a snub .38sp and gaining proficiency with one will pretty well guarantee skill with any handgun.
I was in the house when the house burned down.
Berto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:11   #6
whitebread
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Excuse my ignorance on this subject, but I have been perplexed by the .22LR snubbies coming to the market. What are you guys using them for? Just range shooting? If so, why a snubbie over a longer barrel?
whitebread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:20   #7
Foxtrotx1

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitebread View Post
Excuse my ignorance on this subject, but I have been perplexed by the .22LR snubbies coming to the market. What are you guys using them for? Just range shooting? If so, why a snubbie over a longer barrel?
BUG and CCW for women who can't stand recoil. Also training aids for larger snubs.

Eagle Scout.
Foxtrotx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:41   #8
B-One

Other than understudy practice for my LCR38, I can see the LCR22 as my second gun for walks in the woods and a handy piece for the BOB. In each of the above cases 100 extra rounds of .22 would be nothing to carry in comparison to .38.

The trigger pull on my LCR22 is a bit heavier than on my LCR38, but not so much so as to be a big deal. The trigger seems to break at the same point for both. The bulk pack Remington ammo had one or two light strikes per cylinder, but the Thunderbolt worked flawlessly. Remington Thunderbolt and Federal Classic both printed about 2.5 inches low from the rest at 7yd. The Federal had the tightest groups. Aquilla sub sonic sniper printed a bit left but the elevation was close to being on.

I am getting a bit of lead build up at the back edge of the flutes on the cylinder. The lead is also building up in an arc pattern right above the back edge of the flutes. My best guess is that I am getting small amounts of lead vapor escaping from the barrel/cylinder gap that are hitting the top strap, splashing backwards, collecting on the back edge of the flutes where some is collecting and a bit more is splashing back up to the top strap. I wrote Ruger and I may post some photos here if I think of it.
Old 02-16-2012, 13:38   #9
up1911fan

I plan on getting one of these to go along with my .38 this year as well.
up1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 13:50   #10
B-One

I received a response from Ruger about the lead build up on the back edge of the cylinder flutes:
Comment / question:

Just got a new LCR-22 and love it.

I notice that there is lead accumulating on the back edge of the flutes in the cylinder and in an arc above the back edge of the flutes on the top strap. My guess is that there is tiny lead particles or vapor escaping from the barrel/cylinder gap, splashing against the top strap and then back. Timing seems fine, all the cylinders line up and lockup is solid.

Is this something to worry about? What is the safest way to clean the lead out of the flutes?

Response:
This is normal and can be cleaned with a product called M-Pro 7 which can be purchased from Brownells.
I am now wondering if I am inhaling this crap when I shoot.
Old 02-16-2012, 18:56   #11
up1911fan

Are you shooting indoors or out? Breathing in lead is alway's gonna be a concern when shooting indoors.
up1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 19:15   #12
B-One

I am out in the back yard, which makes me feel better. It's lead vapor from the base of the bullet isn't it?
Old 02-16-2012, 21:21   #13
HiVel
HiVel

I like my 22 LCR and my 357 too!! The 22 is a real blast to shoot -I have had no misfires with 6 different types of ammo, and lead does come off with a good cleaning. Indoor ranges are not for me -I had a chance to join a new one recently and despite fans etc, I did not like the feeling it gave me......

The 22 trigger is a bit harder cuz the22 rounds require a bit more spring to ignite=at least that is what I am told. Seems to be right. I have a Ruger sp101 4" 22LR - it does misfire
more than is acceptable to me. Working on that. Good gun otherwise.