Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-08-2012, 20:52   #1
gen2tegboi

white hat maxtuck holster question

ok, so a few weeks ago I bought my first firearm. G17 gen4, then I sent it out for repair right away and bought an sr9c in the mean time. Now I have two really nice pistols, a shotgun, and a CCW permit too.

Someone on this or another forum (cant remember) recommended the maxtuck holster in combat cut. I am planning on getting it with two kydex for my two pistols.

can someone explain to me the differences in the combat compared to the standard cut? on the website it says that you sacrifice a little comfort, but gain more control of the firearm. Is this significant, also does it still do a good job at protecting the firearm from contact with the body?

any maxtuck holster owners, please chime in.
gen2tegboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 21:50   #2
Bindar_dundat

Combat cut removes some additional leather from the grip side. It helps with the draw. I use a Kholster for my PF9 and gave it a combat cut, the Kohlster is kind of a DIY thing. Has plenty of material to work with. I use a Cross Breed for an LCP. I like the Crossbreed very much.
Bindar_dundat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:00   #3
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

i would get a crossbreed... what was wrong with your 17? as stated the combat cut removes leather near where your thumb would be when you grip your pistol
Old 02-09-2012, 13:31   #4
jb1911

I love my White Hat, they have interchangable kydex molds and no stupid crosses on their clips. The horse hide is very comfortable.

Black Rifle Club Member "LE6920Colt"

Last edited by jb1911; 02-09-2012 at 13:31..
jb1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 16:53   #5
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

Because crosses are terrible things...

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 02-09-2012, 17:02   #6
jb1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSU74 View Post
Because crosses are unecessary things on a holster clip...

fixed it for ya.

Black Rifle Club Member "LE6920Colt"
jb1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 18:07   #7
gen2tegboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSU74 View Post
i would get a crossbreed... what was wrong with your 17? as stated the combat cut removes leather near where your thumb would be when you grip your pistol

my 17 was cursed with the errratic ejections, FTE, FTF etc. After a new ejector, and dot connector. It is perfect.

So would my body make contact with the pistol?
Old 02-09-2012, 18:31   #8
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1911 View Post
fixed it for ya.
Haha if you say so. With the combat cut your pistol would most likely make body contact, yes.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:48   #9
racer88
NRA & SAF mbr

I've got both. Like both. I swapped out the clips on my Crossbreed for the more stealthy V-clips (and no crosses). I wear it with my daily business slacks, and it's invisible. I frankly don't want religious symbols on my holster (or anything else for that matter). But, the main reason I swapped them was for the more stealthy v-clips.

More recently, I got a White Hat Maxtuck. I wear it with my casual clothes and still have the standard metal clips (which are quite robust). I may eventually switch to v-clips on it, too. The Maxtuck is EASILY as high quality as the Supertuck. It is built rock-solid. It has interchangeable kydex for different guns, if you so desire. One of the things I like about the Maxtuck is the ability to customize the kydex with graphics. It's purely a "cosmetic" thing, of course. And, of course, nobody else will ever see it. But, I just think it's way cool. Just a little "extra" thing I can do to make the holster "mine."

Some photos of both holsters: (the Maxtuck was brand new out of the box when I took these photos. Obviously, the Supertuck has been worn a bit! )

Carry Issues

Carry Issues

Carry Issues

Carry Issues
racer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:27   #10
gen2tegboi

racer88,

how are you liking that maxtuck? standart cut I see. comfortable?
Old 02-12-2012, 16:34   #11
racer88
NRA & SAF mbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2tegboi View Post
racer88,

how are you liking that maxtuck? standart cut I see. comfortable?
Wore it all day today. Very comfortable. I have standard cuts for both my Supertuck and Maxtuck. I do not find it interferes (at all) with drawing. And, I like having the extra leather between me and the gun grip.
Old 04-13-2013, 13:32   #12
frbejarano

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer88 View Post
Wore it all day today. Very comfortable. I have standard cuts for both my Supertuck and Maxtuck. I do not find it interferes (at all) with drawing. And, I like having the extra leather between me and the gun grip.
I know this is an old thread but which holster do you prefer and why?
frbejarano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 14:20   #13
racer88
NRA & SAF mbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by frbejarano View Post
I know this is an old thread but which holster do you prefer and why?
I like the looks of my Maxtuck (flag and Constitution on the kydex is pretty cool).

But, I find the Supertuck a bit more comfortable. Maybe I'm overly sensitive, but here's what bugs me a little bit. The studs that secure the interchangeable kydex on the Maxtuck stick out a bit from the leather backing. At the end of the day, it's irritating. I can feel them.

The Supertuck's studs are flush with the leather (but, the kydex is not interchangeable). So, it's a completely smooth surface.
Old 04-13-2013, 18:27   #14
Scott30

Quote:
I like the looks of my Maxtuck (flag and Constitution on the kydex is pretty cool).

But, I find the Supertuck a bit more comfortable. Maybe I'm overly sensitive, but here's what bugs me a little bit. The studs that secure the interchangeable kydex on the Maxtuck stick out a bit from the leather backing. At the end of the day, it's irritating. I can feel them.

The Supertuck's studs are flush with the leather (but, the kydex is not interchangeable). So, it's a completely smooth surface.
Get some moleskin and put it over the nuts on the back. Problem solved.
Scott30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 18:30   #15
Clusterfrack

I prefer the Comp-Tac Minotaur and Tucker Answer to Crossbreed. (I haven't tried White Hat.)
Old 04-13-2013, 19:15   #16
racer88
NRA & SAF mbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott30 View Post
Get some moleskin and put it over the nuts on the back. Problem solved.
I'll give that a try, but I'm not very hopeful. The nuts will still be sticking out as "bumps." I already wear an undershirt, and I can feel the nuts through that.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try it.
Old 04-13-2013, 19:26   #17
racer88
NRA & SAF mbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
I prefer the Comp-Tac Minotaur and Tucker Answer to Crossbreed. (I haven't tried White Hat.)
Until your post, I had not heard of the Tucker Answer. So, I checked them out. Looks very nice! The lining over the hardware on the inside looks great (and comfortable). Does it add noticeably to the thickness of the holster? The leather lined kydex option is also an attractive feature.
Old 04-13-2013, 20:10   #18
Clusterfrack

Quote:
Until your post, I had not heard of the Tucker Answer. So, I checked them out. Looks very nice! The lining over the hardware on the inside looks great (and comfortable). Does it add noticeably to the thickness of the holster? The leather lined kydex option is also an attractive feature.
I actually like the Comp Tac better but the Tucker is very well made and comfortable. I wouldn't bother with the leather lining because I don't care if my guns get worn or scratched. Also the leather slows the draw a bit. The thickness is negligible though.

Comp Tac clips are tougher than Tucker's. and the holster is overall thinner. Retention is almost too good on the Minotaur though. Takes getting used too but I like it now.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:41   #19
SCmasterblaster

I OC my G17 in a Bianchi 4/4L hip holster here in the 14th state.

http://www.bianchi-intl.com/