SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:07   #61
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by YtownGlock View Post
Well said brother, I 100% agree. This may sound a bit crazy, but if I knew I would survive, I would take a bullet for a LEO. Especially the ones I know personally where I live.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
Do you have any idea, any idea at all what you just posted?

You say you've been through an academy and you want to go into law enforcement.

When do you expect that mindset to change???
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlynusn View Post
This is what people have an issue with I think.

If I see someone about to execute an officer and I'm armed, I will intervene. Cop or not. If I get shot and killed, then thats the way the cards fell. You don't know that you will survive every day. Is that the goal? Absolutely. But don't for a second think that every cop here isn't prepared to die. If they aren't, they are in the wrong line of work. If you aren't going to do something because you might die (but preparing and fighting to stay alive) then you shouldn't be a cop.
My bold in merlynusn's post to tie into my bold in your post, YtownGlock.

My question above in bold blue stands. Have you thought about it?

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921

Last edited by RussP; 02-09-2012 at 09:08..
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:22   #62
Chad Rogers

Quote:
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2921.23

ORC 2921.23 Failure to aid a law enforcement officer.
(A) No person shall negligently fail or refuse to aid a law enforcement officer, when called upon for assistance in preventing or halting the commission of an offense, or in apprehending or detaining an offender, when such aid can be given without a substantial risk of physical harm to the person giving it.

(B) Whoever violates this section is guilty of failure to aid a law enforcement officer, a minor misdemeanor.

Effective Date: 01-01-1974
Bottom line would appear to be:

you have to be called upon for assistance

and

not reasonably fear you will get killed in the process (like jumping into a gunfight)

Last edited by Chad Rogers; 02-09-2012 at 09:23..
Chad Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:35   #63
RussP

A long, long time ago, this topic came up. The discussion was a bit heated.

A Sgt. with the Norfolk PD here in Virginia participated. His belief was that citizens should not get involved.

I asked him how he would feel if I did intervene, stopped the bad guy from murdering him, but I was killed instead of him. He said, "I would tell your wife and family that you were a fool."

I asked him what his wife and family would say to that. He never answered the question.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:06   #64
YtownGlock
Rookie

Quote:
My bold in merlynusn's post to tie into my bold in your post, YtownGlock.

My question above in bold blue stands. Have you thought about it?
Wow... I am an idiot. Once again I have posted before properly thinking through what I typed. I apologize for that. I shouldn't have said "IF I knew I would survive."

I don't fear death. The thought of it though is scary as heck but if and when the time comes that I need to put myself in harms way to preserve the life of another, I will do so.

Sorry, I didn't understand what you were getting at until I read over what I posted a few times. Sorry for the mishap.
YtownGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 19:57   #65
Chad Rogers

Quote:
A long, long time ago, this topic came up. The discussion was a bit heated.

A Sgt. with the Norfolk PD here in Virginia participated. His belief was that citizens should not get involved.

I asked him how he would feel if I did intervene, stopped the bad guy from murdering him, but I was killed instead of him. He said, "I would tell your wife and family that you were a fool."

I asked him what his wife and family would say to that. He never answered the question.
I'm speechless...
Chad Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 21:25   #66
nikerret
Mr. Awesome

Damn, RussP, is that thread still around?
nikerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 21:34   #67
YtownGlock
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
I'm speechless...
you're not the only one...
Old 02-09-2012, 21:36   #68
Vigilant

Quote:
I know its a rite of passage on here to heckle and rag on the FNG.

Sorry I blew up the way I did.
Not necessarily so, and not just the FNGs. There is an active thread on this forum that clearly shows this. This person has been posting here for quite some time, and took a torpedo. Broadside. We are all accountable.

Have you thought about working in Corrections, or Detention, and gaining some experience and a reference? You may end up staying on long-term once you swim with the sharks for a while. Some of us belong behind bars.

Last edited by Vigilant; 02-09-2012 at 21:40.. Reason: Because I'm a knuckle dragging Neanderthal.
Vigilant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 21:43   #69
YtownGlock
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilant View Post
Not necessarily so, and not just the FNGs. There is an active thread on this page that clearly shows this. This person has been posting here for quite some time, and took a torpedo. Broadside.

Have you thought about working in Corrections, or Detention, and gaining some experience and a reference? You may end up staying on long-term once you swim with the sharks for a while. Some of us belong behind bars.
I thought about Corrections, I have been on some tours (via ride-alongs and the academy) through the local county jail and I wasn't very fond of it. I was told that if I were to get a reserve position (an easy way to get my commission faster) that I would have to work like a minimum of 32 hours a month working at the jail. And with the CSO where I live having a really bad budget, I'm not too fond of being stuck in a pod for several hours with nearly 50 inmates.

I have my references from when I worked Liquor control and enforcement with a neighboring PD. Was very successful with it and excelled in the courtroom when I testified. Got to work with a great group of guys from OIU and got to meet some cool guys from BCI. I performed quite well. Of course, they also busted my balls at times, but it was all fun and games. I enjoyed it.

I also work in private security and have an awesome working relationship with the local PD. We're always giving each other a hand. I've established a lot of good and strong relationships with the officers both locally and within the entire county.

Last edited by YtownGlock; 02-09-2012 at 21:46..
Old 02-10-2012, 03:59   #70
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikerret View Post
Damn, RussP, is that thread still around?
Unfortunately, no.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:25   #71
MoneyMaker

ytown dont let this bother you,99 percent of these guys on these forums are wannabes thereselves and are behind the scene actors,They like to make fun of how you type or how you phrase something,But in the real world,LE,Military and other Agencies dont come to these gun forums and post,So dont let them tell you they are all LE here or other forums!!Russ you seem to enjoy to poke fun at folks until they return the favor huh?

Last edited by MoneyMaker; 02-10-2012 at 04:26..
MoneyMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:13   #72
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

The only thing for sure is you wouldn't know either way.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:30   #73
Vigilant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
The only thing for sure is you wouldn't know either way.
Bullseye.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:40   #74
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyMaker View Post
ytown dont let this bother you,99 percent of these guys on these forums are wannabes thereselves and are behind the scene actors,They like to make fun of how you type or how you phrase something,But in the real world,LE,Military and other Agencies dont come to these gun forums and post,So dont let them tell you they are all LE here or other forums!!
So you are saying that 99% of the people posting in this thread, challenging YtownGlock, are not who they say they are, that they are not in LE, retired LE? Are you saying they are lying about being in law enforcement?

For the record, I am not and you are not. There are 20 people posting in this thread, so 10% are not in the business. And you believe the remaining 80% most likely are not either?
Quote:
Russ you seem to enjoy to poke fun at folks until they return the favor huh?
What are you talking about?

Last edited by RussP; 02-10-2012 at 09:56..
Old 02-10-2012, 09:56   #75
lwt210

Quote:
ytown dont let this bother you,99 percent of these guys on these forums are wannabes thereselves and are behind the scene actors,They like to make fun of how you type or how you phrase something,But in the real world,LE,Military and other Agencies dont come to these gun forums and post,So dont let them tell you they are all LE here or other forums!!Russ you seem to enjoy to poke fun at folks until they return the favor huh?
Crap. The secret is out.

This thread is full of win.

And if I am shot, on my back, looking down the barrel of the would be killer's gun and some jogger comes up and double taps him from behind.....

The jogger just made a friend for life.

And likewise, when I am done with this line of work and I am out and about, and the scenario mentioned in the OP arises, I'll be the one running up behind the shooter with a suprise in store.

Legalities/liabilities aside....no way I could stand by and watch two people murdered in front of me without acting to prevent it. I have mirrors to look into each and every day.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:08   #76
Vigilant

Reminds me of a spoof I once heard on the famous cowboy song, The Streets of Laredo:

"I see by your outfit that you are a cowboy.
I see by your outfit you are a cowboy too.
We see by our outfits that we are both cowboys........................
If you get an outfit, you can be a cowboy too."
Old 02-10-2012, 11:07   #77
Kaybe

Iwt210 said it best. If I am the officer on the ground, I don't care who shoots him, somebody just do it. If I am the "jogger" going by, I will intervene in a heartbeat. I couldn't live with myself knowing that I could have stopped the murder of two police officers and didn't. Besides, if the guy shoots the two officers, I am probably next anyway since I am "there". I would rather sees the tears of a happy reunion of an officer and his family then the tears of the family at the funeral.
Kaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:10   #78
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaybe View Post
Iwt210 said it best. If I am the officer on the ground, I don't care who shoots him, somebody just do it. If I am the "jogger" going by, I will intervene in a heartbeat. I couldn't live with myself knowing that I could have stopped the murder of two police officers and didn't. Besides, if the guy shoots the two officers, I am probably next anyway since I am "there". I would rather sees the tears of a happy reunion of an officer and his family then the tears of the family at the funeral.
Damn, that's good, really good.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:26   #79
YtownGlock
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaybe View Post
Well said. Very well said.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:17   #80
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:

You're a tool....a dull one at that.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

"Few men desire liberty; most men wish only for a just master." - Sallust
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ccw, gunman, orc, stop, traffic