Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-07-2012, 14:02   #21
YtownGlock
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
As a LEO (academy attendee?) you should have a handle on that. I am not trying to be a prick, even though that is the result. If you are going to tell a story....
I'm not a LEO, never said I was. I did attend the academy. Just never took the state test because I did not pass the Run. So I am retaking the WHOLE academy again.
YtownGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 14:06   #22
YtownGlock
Rookie

I respect that you guys corrected my mistake in calling him a "felon". I appreciate it so I do not make the same mistake in the future.
Old 02-07-2012, 14:18   #23
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by YtownGlock View Post
ORC 2921.23 Failure to aid a law enforcement officer.
(A) No person shall negligently fail or refuse to aid a law enforcement officer, when called upon for assistance in preventing or halting the commission of an offense, or in apprehending or detaining an offender, when such aid can be given without a substantial risk of physical harm to the person giving it.

(B) Whoever violates this section is guilty of failure to aid a law enforcement officer, a minor misdemeanor.
Interesting law. Certainly a lot of vagueness. What is the definition of substantial risk. Also, what if you are obliged based on the law, only later to get sued in civil court for any actions you took?

Have to find out if we have such a thing in PA.
BuckyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 14:22   #24
YtownGlock
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyP View Post
Interesting law. Certainly a lot of vagueness. What is the definition of substantial risk. Also, what if you are obliged based on the law, only later to get sued in civil court for any actions you took?

Have to find out if we have such a thing in PA.
According to http://definitions.uslegal.com/s/substantial-risk/ "Substantial risk means a strong possibility, as contrasted with a remote or even a significant possibility, that a certain result may occur or that a certain circumstance may exist. It is risk of such a nature and degree that to disregard it constitutes a gross deviation from the standard of care that a reasonable person would exercise in such a situation."

As for being sued in civil court, heck, almost everything you do nowadays leaves the door open to Civil Court. Right or wrong.
Old 02-07-2012, 14:26   #25
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

Florida had a similar FSS..

I for one would just appreciate any help, and would not expect any...
Old 02-07-2012, 14:55   #26
blueiron

As Sam has pointed out, Arizona has a similar statute and I was told at the academy that it is nearly unenforceable and none of the staffers recall ever using it or knowing of its being charged.

When I was an instructor at the academy, I informed the class that I had never seen it applied and it is likely to never be successfully prosecuted.

An offense and the failure to act would have to be so egregious and shocking that it would offend the jurors weighing the case.
blueiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 15:52   #27
collim1
Shower Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatbwana View Post
Whacker alert is code orange..

John has a long mustashe.

The chair is against the wall.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 17:07   #28
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by YtownGlock View Post
You know what I mean. Would it have been better put if I said he used to be a criminal and has now decided to pursue a career in LE even though he committed a few felonies in his past? lol
YtownGlock, you're new here, so, if I could, I'd like to offer a bit of friendly advice. Think before you post. Chose your words carefully. Make sure you understand what you're posting before clicking on the [Submit Reply] key. You've gotten a little taste of what happens when you use a word incorrectly. Not ragging on you, just trying to save you some grief. These boys and girls in here, they can get down right mean...

Now, you have "Rookie" under your screen name. What kind of rookie are you?

Oh, yeah, and about maybe embellishing a story, adding in stuff that, well, might just make the story sound better...we sniff that **** out real quick.

Welcome to Cop Talk!!

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921

Last edited by RussP; 02-07-2012 at 17:11..
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 17:10   #29
Vigilant

A private citizen jumping into such a scenario with guns blazing might take a round or three from the Coppers, unless that citizen clearly identifies his/her intentions.
Old 02-07-2012, 17:14   #30
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron View Post
As Sam has pointed out, Arizona has a similar statute and I was told at the academy that it is nearly unenforceable and none of the staffers recall ever using it or knowing of its being charged.

When I was an instructor at the academy, I informed the class that I had never seen it applied and it is likely to never be successfully prosecuted.

An offense and the failure to act would have to be so egregious and shocking that it would offend the jurors weighing the case.
I once had a plan to deputize bad guys and order them to help me in their own apprehension. It has the bonus of being able to name them in a 1983 suit should they, as duly deputized officers under Arizona Statute, deprive me of my civil rights as they resist arrest---unreasonable force under the 4th Amendment dontchya know.

I got a gold star for "out of the box" thinking, and a threatened assignment to landfill detail out of that one.
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 17:16   #31
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
I once had a plan to deputize bad guys and order them to help me in their own apprehension. It has the bonus of being able to name them in a 1983 suit should they, as duly deputized officers under Arizona Statute, deprive me of my civil rights as they resist arrest---unreasonable force under the 4th Amendment dontchya know.

I got a gold star for "out of the box" thinking, and a threatened assignment to landfill detail out of that one.
That is priceless!!

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 17:58   #32
blueiron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post

I'll buy you a beer if you can add in the preparatory charges of conspiracy, facilitation, and solicitation as defined by A.R.S. Chapter ten. [13-1002, 13-1003, and 13-1004]
blueiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 23:26   #33
YtownGlock
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
Now, you have "Rookie" under your screen name. What kind of rookie are you?

Oh, yeah, and about maybe embellishing a story, adding in stuff that, well, might just make the story sound better...we sniff that **** out real quick.

Welcome to Cop Talk!!
"Rookie" as in new to this blog/forum stuff.
Old 02-07-2012, 23:53   #34
wjv

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatbwana View Post
FYI these definitions are tricky AND MEAN something

I did background investigations while going through the GA part time acadenmy , you can be arrested for a felony, say a girl cries rape, they arrest you.
But she was drunk she recants you are never formally charged, running your CH will show you were arrested for rape, but you are not a felon....
Hell, Wife and I adopted two girls (in different years) from China. Every fricken time I do a Brady check it comes up as having been investigated by Child Services and the WA State PD twice. . The FBI once, and Homeland security once. . Get the 3 day delay every tine

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -
wjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:40   #35
merlynusn

I wouldn't care who came to assist me if I needed it. Just make your intentions clear and known to the officers so they don't take action against the assisting citizen.

NC does not have a mandatory "must aid LEO" statute. They do have one that if I request aid from a citizen and they assist me, they are now covered under our liability and can't be sued.
merlynusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:22   #36
YtownGlock
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlynusn View Post
NC does not have a mandatory "must aid LEO" statute. They do have one that if I request aid from a citizen and they assist me, they are now covered under our liability and can't be sued.
That's a nice perk. But what happens if the citizen comes to your aid and you did not request it (but needed it), are they still covered?
Old 02-08-2012, 12:48   #37
Bluestreakfl

As a law abiding citizen, I know I would certainly be compelled to aid if I were able wether asked or not. The way the statute reads is that the citizen is required if asked as long as it does not put them in any sort of danger of harm. Here in FL we've had several LEOs that have been lost in the line of duty, I'd have no problem risking my life for someone who does the same exact thing on a daily basis.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.
G27 Gen3, Mossberg 500A, Mossberg 702 Plinkster, Armi Salvinelli 12gauge Strapgun. Florida Glockers Club #941
"Politics is 2 wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting the vote."
Bluestreakfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:57   #38
YtownGlock
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreakfl View Post
As a law abiding citizen, I know I would certainly be compelled to aid if I were able wether asked or not. The way the statute reads is that the citizen is required if asked as long as it does not put them in any sort of danger of harm. Here in FL we've had several LEOs that have been lost in the line of duty, I'd have no problem risking my life for someone who does the same exact thing on a daily basis.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.
Well said brother, I 100% agree. I would take a bullet for a LEO. Especially the ones I know personally where I live.

Last edited by YtownGlock; 02-09-2012 at 12:09..
Old 02-08-2012, 13:00   #39
Deployment Solu
Kydex Crafter

The Felon didn't want to come to the aid of the Officer's cause he'd have to whack his homies!!!!!Word!!!

The world needs less victims and more victors!!!!!
Deployment Solu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 13:07   #40
YtownGlock
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deployment Solu View Post
The Felon didn't want to come to the aid of the Officer's cause he'd have to whack his homies!!!!!Word!!!
True dat.

Tags
ccw, gunman, orc, stop, traffic