Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-10-2012, 20:49   #1
luv2brode

training question

so been in training this week, had the major come in one day and say if you cuss lose it as when ya go to court it looks bad, i see that and have been trying to get out of the habit of just throwing it around anyways, so today while training with a swat officer i was called to nice of a guy that needed to be more aggressive and needed to cuss ????
i am not knew to dealing with the people we deal with on a daily basis, and i know there are times that it slips or for effect it can be utilized, just threw me off as i had never trained with this instructor before. he had told us early that he was still learning to be an instructor, not sure if maybe that was it.
i still did not cuss in the training as it didnt feel warranted at the time.
once again i am not some goody goody, i was an infantryman for 8 years and been in le for 10.
opinions.......
luv2brode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 23:26   #2
Agent6-3/8

If not for cursing there wouldn't have been much talking at my academy... The f-bomb was particularly popular. I will freely admit to letting rip more than one profanity laced tirade at suspects who couldn't understand the way it was gonna be in plain english.

With that said, my mother always told me the use of profanity was a sign of a weak mind. While there are situations that most certainly call for it, overall I tend to agree with her. Overuse of profanity just makes you look ignorant. At this point in my life I'm trying to get it out of my vocabulary as much as possible and reserve it for special circumstaces.
Old 02-10-2012, 23:57   #3
kayl

+1 to the above
There are times when profanity is the only way to get through to some people. Seems like most of the time that isn't the case

Plus my wife gets pissed when I don't censor myself at home!
If I saw a guy robbing a bank I would get on my horse and cut his head off with my katana.
kayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 00:09   #4
Sharkey

I've used it before and sometimes it is the only language your contact might speak. Your consideration might be a sign of weakness as he sees it. That said, I try to be as nice as people allow me to be.

I got complained on one time and the Lt asked me what I said. I told him exactly and he smiled and said that is exactly what he told me you said.

Another lady filed a formal complaint on me for abusive language and I swear to this day, I did not curse in front of her.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:11   #5
Ftttu

I had the dirtiest mouth after being in the USMC and I went pretty much cold turkey after being hired by my current agency. I only let it out when I need to be VERY intimidating. We had an an officer at the station with his kids for some reason and he sat in on briefing even though he was off duty. I was so embarrassed by the other officers cussing profusely while the children were in there. My view is that you are not respecting your company if you use bad language. To me, it just isn't professional.

Last edited by Ftttu; 02-11-2012 at 01:12.. Reason: Spelling
Ftttu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:47   #6
Wonder140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftttu View Post
I had the dirtiest mouth after being in the USMC and I went pretty much cold turkey after being hired by my current agency. I only let it out when I need to be VERY intimidating. We had an an officer at the station with his kids for some reason and he sat in on briefing even though he was off duty. I was so embarrassed by the other officers cussing profusely while the children were in there. My view is that you are not respecting your company if you use bad language. To me, it just isn't professional.
Wow, shame on those officer's who can't respect children, especially a fellow officer's...
Wonder140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:49   #7
Wonder140

I never swore as much as I do now. I know I have a choice on what I say, but when you're around it all day, its hard for it not to come out, especially when crap hits the fan.
Wonder140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:32   #8
luv2brode

thanks all, i try to keep it under control at work out at the ranch with just the guys its a different story usually get in trouble when i git home til i get my self censored
Old 02-11-2012, 08:51   #9
Ajon412

It has it's place and I don't see an issue when you're talking among your peers (park and gripe sessions....) or when you HAVE to get your point across in certain situations.....In court it's a big NO, unless it's part of your testimony as to conversations or statements made....
Ajon412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:22   #10
msu_grad_121
BOOSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajon412 View Post
It has it's place and I don't see an issue when you're talking among your peers (park and gripe sessions....) or when you HAVE to get your point across in certain situations.....In court it's a big NO, unless it's part of your testimony as to conversations or statements made....
This.

I got a few complaints a while back when a dingleberry I was arresting donkey kicked in on the inside of my left knee and ripped my ACL, dislocated my knee and broke a piece off my tibula (or fibula, whichever the bigger bone is, escapes me now) because a stream of profanity came out of my mouth like 40 seconds long. And 40 seconds is a LONG time when all you're doing is swearing.

I realize I swear too much, and I try to keep it under control both personally and professionally. Obviously it slips out, but for an instructor to say you don't swear enough just seems to me like the guy is trying to be ultra-macho, which makes me lose respect for him. He could be a great guy, and knowledgable on his subject, but that comes off as ignorant, at least to me.

My dad (a US Army veteran) told me once I started to drop swear words around him that they are like spices for language. A little bit goes a long way, and too much can ruin everything.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:39   #11
merlynusn

I know I curse too much. I do try to hold it in sometimes, but it does come out. More than I want it too. It's just too much of a habit at this point.

But I have had situations where if you don't curse at people, they think you're weak.
merlynusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:12   #12
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

I don't cuss on duty when dealing with the public, even at suspects. I've seen a few guys say "SHUT THE **** UP!" but I have never had a problem with simply saying, "BE QUIET" or "NO TALKING" at the most. I don't know if I even have said "SHUT UP" in the line of duty... not sure.

In private with other officers or off duty... it's on, cuz!
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 13:32   #13
scottydl

Agreed with Agent's mom. Cussing just shows you have no other effective way to make use of the English language. We are all trained enough in verbal communications, that we ought to be able to get our point across without cussing IMO. It takes us down to THEIR level, and we should do everything we can to stay above that.
scottydl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 13:52   #14
Sharky7
Boomshakalaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder140 View Post
Wow, shame on those officer's who can't respect children, especially a fellow officer's...
I think it depends on the context and how much they are using.

A few of my friends have kids now in the age range from 1-6 now and I accidentally have let a swear or two slip by. Completely not on purpose at all and my conversation is always appropriate, but just a big time goof up on my part when talking quickly.

I usually get the evil look from their wife and then realize what I just did and my face turns slightly red shortly after that while I do that "whoops" face.
Sharky7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 14:07   #15
Sharky7
Boomshakalaka

Most of the time, I don't swear much at work. It all depends on who I am dealing with. 99% of my citizen contacts or traffic stops - no. If I am working with an informant and trying to put him/her at ease and make the conversation less tense, I will drop a few swears especially if he or she is using them a lot in their conversation. Just as you would mirror body language or use other forms of interview techniques, I don't think it's good practice to be too rigid when dealing with certain individuals.

All of us are from all over the US. Each of our communities are a little bit different.

Sometimes it might useful to drop an f bomb to let people know you are not messing around to prevent a physical fight or resistance. It really just depends on your clients....it's all about who you are dealing with. A good "Stop f-ing around" can sometimes put an end to things before they start.

Other times, you can get some people with a huge sense of entitlement, pompous, or just egotistical that won't respond well to any commands much less aggressive commands.

Other times it helps to take a more subdued approach. If you just saw a hand to hand drug deal and both people are still 50 feet away, you don't want to start screaming "get on the f-ing ground" from 50 feet away. That fight or flight will kick in and when they realize they can get away, they will start running.

It's all situational. Somethings that work for me won't always work for you.
Sharky7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 16:23   #16
Ajon412

Quote:
Originally Posted by msu_grad_121 View Post
This.

I got a few complaints a while back when a dingleberry I was arresting donkey kicked in on the inside of my left knee and ripped my ACL, dislocated my knee and broke a piece off my tibula (or fibula, whichever the bigger bone is, escapes me now) because a stream of profanity came out of my mouth like 40 seconds long. And 40 seconds is a LONG time when all you're doing is swearing.
You didn't mention it, but how many days did this "dingleberry" spend in the hospital after assaulting you?......

Quote:
My dad (a US Army veteran) told me once I started to drop swear words around him that they are like spices for language. A little bit goes a long way, and too much can ruin everything.
I like this...Good advice......

Last edited by Ajon412; 02-12-2012 at 14:37..
Old 02-11-2012, 20:58   #17
luv2brode

thanks for the opinions i see we are mainly tracking
Old 02-12-2012, 14:36   #18
Ajon412

I came across this article today and thought it was relevant to this topic. It's a good read and some here may find it useful...

http://www.lesc.net/blog/interacting...ment-can-use-1
Old 02-12-2012, 18:22   #19
luv2brode

good article
Old 02-12-2012, 18:53   #20
Patchman
Florist

Under normal circumstances, I don't see a need to curse and use profanities.

Of course, with some people, you're not speaking their lingo unless you're cursing a blue streak. Then, it's not cursing. It's communicating and establishing dialogue.

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.

Last edited by Patchman; 02-12-2012 at 18:54..
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote