GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2012, 16:42   #1
LippCJ7
Senior Member
 
LippCJ7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,259
Next Phase Polygraph

Ok guys I passed my Integrity Interview and now its time for Polygraph, I have only taken one Polygraph but its been 20 years, I remember the first time it made me nervous as all get out then! I was completely honest in my Integrity Interview so I shouldn't have anything to worry about in my Polygraph.


any advice or am I just putting to much thought into this?
__________________
Don't follow me you won't make it, Glocks, Black Rifles, Hunting rifles and Mathews Bows
LippCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 16:52   #2
Mattz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 907
Polygraphs are used to sweat people to the point they break during the interview room. Assuming you were honest on your personnel packet, stick to your answers. Just remain calm
Mattz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 18:01   #3
DaBigBR
No Infidels!
 
DaBigBR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Circling the wagons.
Posts: 15,924
This is a topic that reguarly gets folks all riled up.

Relax, get a good night's sleep, eat a decent breakfast, easy on the caffeiene and sugar. You already know the answers to all of the questions. Be polite and cordial, follow directions, etc. Everybody goes in to it nervous, everybody worries about being disqualified. Don't lie about anything. Anything.

FWIW, I've only ever taken one polygraph, and the detective administering it worked a lot in sex crimes, so we spent a long time in the pre-polygraph talking about the kind of porn I look at. It was uncomfortable, but ultimately you just have to answer honestly and let the chips fall where they may.
__________________
"Logic is rarely the engine that propels a police department forward."

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 18:25   #4
nikerret
Mr. Awesome
 
nikerret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kansas
Posts: 7,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
we spent a long time in the pre-polygraph talking about the kind of porn I look at.
That would have been an easy one

The biggest problem I had was filling out the answer sheet two weeks before the poly. It's amazing how much you remember when you have two weeks to worry about what you did.

My packet looked like a two year old had scribbled all over it, I had to change almost all of my answers a few times.

If I have to do another, I'll fill out the packet in the lobby.
__________________
-Ambition is only appreciated after success.
-3/325:Now, where's my dedicated bodyguard? Oh, yeah, he's staring back at me in the mirror.
-"Every fear hides a wish"
nikerret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 19:54   #5
msu_grad_121
BOOSH
 
msu_grad_121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NW Burbs
Posts: 2,654
Just had one on Tuesday, lasted over 4 1/2 hours all in with the packets I had to fill out, the interview before being hooked up and the post interview. Mine seemed to be heavy on theivery and brutality, which I've got nothing to worry about, but of course when you're getting asked, your mind goes through all kinds of acrobatics.

The biggest piece of advice I've heard time and again is to remain calm, which is good advice, but of course also not exactly the easiest thing to do, either.

I'd say you're thinking too much about it, but something tells me another person telling you to relax isn't going to do you any good either, so just try to relax and remember to breathe! Good luck and keep us posted!
__________________
The name on the left side of your chest represents who you work for. The name on the right side of your chest represents who raised you. Make them both proud.
msu_grad_121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 20:05   #6
Ajon412
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NJ. Don't hold it against me
Posts: 3,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by msu_grad_121 View Post
Just had one on Tuesday, lasted over 4 1/2 hours all in with the packets I had to fill out, the interview before being hooked up and the post interview. Mine seemed to be heavy on theivery and brutality, which I've got nothing to worry about, but of course when you're getting asked, your mind goes through all kinds of acrobatics.

The biggest piece of advice I've heard time and again is to remain calm, which is good advice, but of course also not exactly the easiest thing to do, either.

I'd say you're thinking too much about it, but something tells me another person telling you to relax isn't going to do you any good either, so just try to relax and remember to breathe! Good luck and keep us posted!
I was kinda hoping you'd chime in.......
__________________
"A man's got to know his limitations."-Harry Callahan
“...Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing”
“The difficult is what takes a little time. The impossible is what takes a little longer.”

Last edited by Ajon412; 01-27-2012 at 20:32..
Ajon412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 20:19   #7
Hunca Munca
nonplussed
 
Hunca Munca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: allegheny county
Posts: 1,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
FWIW, I've only ever taken one polygraph, and the detective administering it worked a lot in sex crimes, so we spent a long time in the pre-polygraph talking about the kind of porn I look at. It was uncomfortable, but ultimately you just have to answer honestly and let the chips fall where they may.
Did you just direct him to the websites?


__________________
My cynicism comes from experience.
Hunca Munca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 22:34   #8
LippCJ7
Senior Member
 
LippCJ7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,259
Guys I really appreciate the advice, please keep it coming!
__________________
Don't follow me you won't make it, Glocks, Black Rifles, Hunting rifles and Mathews Bows
LippCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 00:19   #9
MeefZah
Cover is Code 3
 
MeefZah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 3,515
I've taken 4 in 15 years, the first three were around 1997, and the last one was in 2011. Passed them all.

I hate the polygraph, not because I worry about passing it, but because it's a bull**** tool that relies on voodoo and fear tactics to work. It gives the examiner free reign to mistreat you and, in some cases, allows him to pretty much disqualify an otherwise qualified applicant.

This most recent polygraph, I had a major personality conflict with the guy giving it. He was a world class d-bag, and overtly called me a liar and screamed at me several times during the course of the examination. I just smiled politely and thought about grabbing him by the throat and smashing his face with my fist until his eyeballs popped out. Each question he would ask me, I would pause long enough to visualize that before I would answer. Whatever works, I guess.

While that advice may not work for you, here is some advice which will:

Arrive early, sends a message that you are honest and have nothing to hide.

Dress in business casual. Suits are too uncomfortable and you will need to take off your jacket anyway, and T-shirt and jeans aren't formal enough.

Be respectful and polite. Don't make jokes. Expect him to try and rile you up, and don't get riled. Stay uber-calm.

Look him in the eye. Answer promptly, clearly, and succinctly. Stand by your answers, don't change them.

In the pre-interview packet, don't overthink the questions. Read a question, answer it without dwelling on it, and then move on to the next question and put that one out of your mind.

Exude confidence. Consider this like a job interview, only with a chain around your chest and a blood pressure cuff on your arm. just like in an interview, you are selling yourself - or at least selling your truth.

Don't ask "did I pass?" at the end of the test. Liars ask that. You know you passed because you are an honest mother ****er.
__________________
"No amount of indoctrination or textbook learning will in themselves develop more than efficient mediocrity. Operations should be handled with a combination of force, subtlety, shrewdness, guile, and knowledge born of actual experience." - DF
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:49   #10
Wonder140
Senior Member
 
Wonder140's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 533
I have had two poly's. Well, one was the poly, the other was the voice stress analysist. The vsa was easier in that I didn't have a bunch of crap attached all over me like the poly. I didn't like my poly because I couldn't move, my left arm was blue from the bp monitor, and I couldn't clear my throat or take a deep breath or cough lol. If I moved a finger, I was told not to move because it could mess up the results. That was what made it stressful, the thought that if I breathed hard, coughed or moved a finger I would appear as though I was lieing on a bunch of question's.

As for the vsa, I had a mic attached to my shirt and that was it. I could move, cough, clear my throat, scratch my nuts you name it. I don't mean to make you nervous, I'm just trying to prepare you for what it is. In the end, I did just fine and showed no deception.

I was told that there are two different examiners. Either they try to be your friend, or they try to rough you up and get you upset and treat you like your lieing on every question. This is the only way it will work. There is NO way a machine can tell if your lieing or not. It's just not possible. I'm not saying you are going to lie lol. So, stick with your original answers, don't let them mess with your head or let them try to get you to change an answer as that is what will fail you.

Don't over think it. Just consider it another step in the right direction to become what you want to be and that's a law enfocement officer. It's the best job in the world.

Good luck sir!!
Wonder140 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:11   #11
msu_grad_121
BOOSH
 
msu_grad_121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NW Burbs
Posts: 2,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajon412 View Post
I was kinda hoping you'd chime in.......
I didn't want to sound like an expert, especially since I haven't gotten my results back yet. Heck, I'm still wiping sweat off my forehead.
__________________
The name on the left side of your chest represents who you work for. The name on the right side of your chest represents who raised you. Make them both proud.
msu_grad_121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:19   #12
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest
 
Cochese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Unmarked Rustbox
Posts: 16,276


I've taken my fair share of poly and CVSA... most in Colorado.

No big deal if you tell the truth.
__________________
"Never been dumped 'cause I'm the most mackinest,
never been jumped 'cause I'm known the most packinest."
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:51   #13
Ajon412
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NJ. Don't hold it against me
Posts: 3,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
I've taken 4 in 15 years, the first three were around 1997, and the last one was in 2011. Passed them all.

I hate the polygraph, not because I worry about passing it, but because it's a bull**** tool that relies on voodoo and fear tactics to work. It gives the examiner free reign to mistreat you and, in some cases, allows him to pretty much disqualify an otherwise qualified applicant.

This most recent polygraph, I had a major personality conflict with the guy giving it. He was a world class d-bag, and overtly called me a liar and screamed at me several times during the course of the examination. I just smiled politely and thought about grabbing him by the throat and smashing his face with my fist until his eyeballs popped out. Each question he would ask me, I would pause long enough to visualize that before I would answer. Whatever works, I guess.

While that advice may not work for you, here is some advice which will:

Arrive early, sends a message that you are honest and have nothing to hide.

Dress in business casual. Suits are too uncomfortable and you will need to take off your jacket anyway, and T-shirt and jeans aren't formal enough.

Be respectful and polite. Don't make jokes. Expect him to try and rile you up, and don't get riled. Stay uber-calm.

Look him in the eye. Answer promptly, clearly, and succinctly. Stand by your answers, don't change them.

In the pre-interview packet, don't overthink the questions. Read a question, answer it without dwelling on it, and then move on to the next question and put that one out of your mind.

Exude confidence. Consider this like a job interview, only with a chain around your chest and a blood pressure cuff on your arm. just like in an interview, you are selling yourself - or at least selling your truth.

Don't ask "did I pass?" at the end of the test. Liars ask that. You know you passed because you are an honest mother ****er.
WOW, outstanding advice......It seems this makes you more knowledgeable than most.....In my years in LE, I've never had the fortune / misfortune / opportunity to be subjected to one. I've heard from those that are in that business (Polygraph Examiners) and attests to your point highlighted and with that being said, PD's, business, etc. still use this as part of the hiring process. I've attended a few PD orientation sessions where you're told that a urine test and poly will be given and it's funny to watch a few get up, walk out or not return after a break......I believe there are some agencies / departments that require you to take one annually to remain employed...
__________________
"A man's got to know his limitations."-Harry Callahan
“...Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing”
“The difficult is what takes a little time. The impossible is what takes a little longer.”
Ajon412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:32   #14
merlynusn
Senior Member
 
merlynusn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 3,265
I've taken two. They both sucked. My problem is I overanalyze every question, which gets it all messed up. Unfortunately they ask very specific questions during the poly, which are gone over beforehand to bracket your response.

"Have you EVER lied to someone?" Well, does that count little white lies like "you look nice in that outfit" or "Dinner was good tonight" ? While your polygrapher may tell you that those don't count and not to think about them, my problem was that I'd always feel like I was lying because yes, I have lied before. Even if the lies were what I was told not to think about.

The funny thing is the person who will always pass a polygraph is a compulsive liar. That's because they believe everything they say and nothing is the truth so they don't get stressed by lying.
merlynusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:01   #15
LippCJ7
Senior Member
 
LippCJ7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,259
I hear ya guys I really do, I have to referee 10 High school Hockey games this weekend and I am looking forward to getting my mind off of the Polygraph, Trying to stay busy, seems like that's the only way I can clear my mind of revisiting the questions.

I find that every phase I complete, that night I completely crash, sleep deeper, I feel great this morning even though I have the Polygraph on my mind
__________________
Don't follow me you won't make it, Glocks, Black Rifles, Hunting rifles and Mathews Bows
LippCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 13:22   #16
DaBigBR
No Infidels!
 
DaBigBR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Circling the wagons.
Posts: 15,924
"Please standby...I have one additional, very important question for you before the test concludes. Please standby... ...do you feel that you passed this examination?"

Ugh.
__________________
"Logic is rarely the engine that propels a police department forward."

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 00:53   #17
LippCJ7
Senior Member
 
LippCJ7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,259
Sorry its been awhile, Well after the Poly I thought the worst was over....


WTF is up with the Psych test? we had to do the CA and WI test, 1000 questions asking me

I never truly feel at home unless I'm in a Dress True or False?


OH MY GOD

Anyway I'm done, waiting for Sheriff's Interview and Swearing in, Thanks for the Advice fells I really Appreciate it
__________________
Don't follow me you won't make it, Glocks, Black Rifles, Hunting rifles and Mathews Bows
LippCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:55   #18
JBaird22
Senior Member
 
JBaird22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Washington
Posts: 2,648
I've had 3 poly's and 2 CVSA's (I'm only responding in case someone else rolls through here looking for information). I can say I dislike the CVSA more because it seems like even more voodoo than the poly.

My advice, and this is the best advice as others have said the same thing is to tell the truth.

To the OP, congratulations, apparently you didn't have much to worry about.

I love psych evals. Would you rather be a butcher or a florist? WTF! How about neither. I want to be a cop that's why I am taking this stupid test.
__________________
I'm game though....

Former Certified Super Glock fixer
JBaird22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:03   #19
Patchman
Florist
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Land of Flora, Fauna & Merriweather
Posts: 12,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by LippCJ7 View Post
Sorry its been awhile, Well after the Poly I thought the worst was over....


WTF is up with the Psych test? we had to do the CA and WI test, 1000 questions asking me

I never truly feel at home unless I'm in a Dress True or False?


OH MY GOD
I always like to point out that for my psyche test, I answered (1) TRUE, I like tall women, and (2) TRUE, I prefer working in a flower shop to driving a bulldozer. The rest is LE history.

So... **ahem** do you feel more comfortable in a dress?
__________________
In a gunfight, even if you do everything right, you can still get killed.

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:37   #20
Padre
Senior Member
 
Padre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Marshall Islands (Home: TX)
Posts: 447
There was a woman that I used to know when I was assigned to Ft McClellan, AL. She was the #2 person at the Polygraph Institute, traveled the world giving siminars to the FBI, CIA, Scotland Yard, etc.
Unbelievably, she absolutely DID NOT believe in the polygraph. Even though she worked there, she addressed how inaccurate it is, and how, like was mentioned before, a pathological/compulsive liar can pass one because they truely believe what they are saying is the truth, no matter how big a liar they are. And how a person being totally truthful can fail due to operator error, or subject just being overly nervous.
I have taken 2...never again. They both made me feel like I was lying even though all answers were 100% truthful.

Just my $.02 worth, your mileage may vary.
__________________
“In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned.
When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.”
- Mark Twain
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:42.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 725
182 Members
543 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 16:42