Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-06-2012, 22:06   #1
gtoglocker

Which gun to get.

It's tax return time and I'm getting $700 back. All I own is my G26.
I'm wanting an Assault Rifle, Revolver or Shotgun.

Thinking something AR15-ish. I like the styling and the looks of it

Revolver, I like the S&W 38spl ultra lite double actions. They feel nice in my hand and I enjoy shooting them. I would also be able to carry this gun if need be.

Shotgun, I like 12g tactical looking ones. pump or semi.

Give advice. There is a posibility of getting more than one. If combined price stay around $700.

Im open to more than just there options
gtoglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 22:27   #2
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Given your budget amount and you have no other guns as of yet, I would recommend a good shotgun. My personal favorite is the Mossberg 590A1. You should be able to find this for around the $500 mark and still have some money left over. Everyone needs one good shotgun. This one is simple, ruggedly built and will last you a lifetime.

Good luck!
Old 02-06-2012, 22:32   #3
kj4963

I like my Remington 870 tactical shotgun, it was around $325 I think.
G21 Club # 4963. .357 Sig club #4963
NRA & GSSF member. :therapy:
kj4963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 22:34   #4
Top_Shot_31

Save another $300, buy the Colt 6920 from GT Distributors, be happy. Do not buy a Shrubmaster, RRA, or other "just as good as" rifle that you're going to be unhappy with later. People will tell you that their RRA or their DPMS can shoot with any Colt, Daniel Defense, LMT, LWRC, or BCM rifle out there, and maybe their specific rifle can, but for the sub-$1000 market, Colt is the best out of the box shooter you will get. Buy a good 2-point padded sling (VTAC makes a GREAT adjustable one that I have on my rifle), a sling adapter to mount it at 9 o'clock (so that the rifle can hang flat across your body), a front sight post mount and a TLR-1. Mount light at 12 o'clock to avoid barrel shadow. There you go.

As far as pump shotguns, I really like the Benelli Nova Tactical with Ghost Ring sights. They can be had for $350. For another $100, you can get the Supernova and have a pistol grip. If you want semi, you should look at the Mossberg 930SPX, widely regarded as one of the best auto-loaders around, and definitely the best for the money (around $600). Take whatever extra money you have and buy ammo, a sling, and a light/mount.

If you still have around $100 left, buy yourself a Mosin Nagant :D.

The best advice, regardless of what you decide to get, is to get something YOU want, not something that your tax return allows. If you want a Colt or a DD AR15, or a very high quality semi-auto shotgun such as the Benelli M1014, don't say "well, only $700, gonna have to get a DPMS Oracle". Put the money away, save a bit, and buy quality. It will save you headache later.
Fast forward 6 months for the DUI trial. Prosecutor is reviewing the booking room video and asks me why I am moon-walking while the drunk offender is hopping around in slow motion in a big white suit.
Top_Shot_31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 22:41   #5
hogship
It's MY Island

With $700 and a little shopping around on the used market, you ought to get a nice Smith revolver and a shotgun......or, the AR.

Think "used"!

ooc
Visit my Vietnam photo album, 1968-69 click on link

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
hogship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 00:03   #6
seamaster

AR15 for sure. for $700 it's doable.
seamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:07   #7
alwaysshootin

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamaster View Post
AR15 for sure. for $700 it's doable.
No ifs, ands, or buts, about it. With the political climate, as it is, anyone, who doesn't already have an assault rifle, should place obtaining one, on the front burner. That being said, shotguns, and revolvers, should, and probably will be easily, obtained for a very,very, long time. Just saying, think about it.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:27   #8
EL COLONEL

Get a smith 642 38 special then get your chl...
Old 02-07-2012, 07:37   #9
Bruce M

If you shop carefully, your 700 may go far enough to get a shotgun, maybe a used 870 and some sort of .22 which could be used for skill enhancement at low cost.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:47   #10
IrishSheepdog54

AR15. No question.
IrishSheepdog54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:47   #11
Lior
GUNS=FREEDOM

What about ammo for the guns you already own, so that you can go out and enjoy them?
Rust and bureaucrats. Freedom and vigilance. Front sight and trigger. Kindness and firepower. Situational awareness and tolerance. Safety and concealment. Taxes and allegiance. Love of man and surgical marksmanship. Once a soldier, always a soldier.
Lior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:05   #12
KarlThomas

You could find an 870 express and a SW Airweight for right at about $700.
KarlThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:25   #13
Reaper19

I just got a Hi Point 995. Its a 9mm carbine, not really a "assault rifle", but a hell of a lot of fun to shoot! I can't say enough about this gun it is dead on accurate. Mine was $350 out the door, it came with BSA laser, vertical grip, 2 extra mags, and mag holder. Plus it is 9mm, which is always great. I really love this gun and would 100% recommend this gun to any one. before I bought mine I looked at some videos on youtube, I found quit a few on there. Do let people scare you off Hi Point Carbines. I do not have any experience with the pistols, but in the last couple weeks I have put 2000 trouble free rounds threw it. Also all Hi Points come with Life Time Unconditional warranty.

Plus with the cost you can get a used 500 or 870, and ammo for both!

Last edited by Reaper19; 02-07-2012 at 08:25..
Reaper19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:38   #14
svtpwnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Shot_31 View Post
Save another $300, buy the Colt 6920 from GT Distributors, be happy. Do not buy a Shrubmaster, RRA, or other "just as good as" rifle that you're going to be unhappy with later. People will tell you that their RRA or their DPMS can shoot with any Colt, Daniel Defense, LMT, LWRC, or BCM rifle out there, and maybe their specific rifle can, but for the sub-$1000 market, Colt is the best out of the box shooter you will get. Buy a good 2-point padded sling (VTAC makes a GREAT adjustable one that I have on my rifle), a sling adapter to mount it at 9 o'clock (so that the rifle can hang flat across your body), a front sight post mount and a TLR-1. Mount light at 12 o'clock to avoid barrel shadow. There you go.

As far as pump shotguns, I really like the Benelli Nova Tactical with Ghost Ring sights. They can be had for $350. For another $100, you can get the Supernova and have a pistol grip. If you want semi, you should look at the Mossberg 930SPX, widely regarded as one of the best auto-loaders around, and definitely the best for the money (around $600). Take whatever extra money you have and buy ammo, a sling, and a light/mount.

If you still have around $100 left, buy yourself a Mosin Nagant :D.

The best advice, regardless of what you decide to get, is to get something YOU want, not something that your tax return allows. If you want a Colt or a DD AR15, or a very high quality semi-auto shotgun such as the Benelli M1014, don't say "well, only $700, gonna have to get a DPMS Oracle". Put the money away, save a bit, and buy quality. It will save you headache later.
Excellent advice and spot on! I say save a little more dough and get a quality AR, or if the money is burning a hole in your pocket, get a good 12 GA.
svtpwnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:51   #15
Truffle8Shuffle

Send a message via AIM to Truffle8Shuffle
If you only have the $700 and can't save more for a good quality AR then I'm going to agree with the others who have said that you can get a shotgun AND S&W with money to spare for ammo. You should be able to find a good used 870 and Snub, I have a 638 and love it, for less than $600. I shop for NEEDS over wants so you've got to think about that first, IMO.

Quote:
I cant use the iron sights anyway because I am blind in one eye and cant see out the other
Truffle8Shuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:38   #16
D3S3RT_P3NGU1N

Save a little more $$$ and get yourself a quality AR
"To be governed is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censored, checked, valued, enrolled, by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom nor the virtue to do so."
D3S3RT_P3NGU1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:46   #17
mj9mm

$700 sounds like a shotgun deal to me. get a gun, field barrel, slug barrel, tactical add ons and ammo for breaking it in
mj9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:47   #18
Bob Hafler

This. Because there are times when a pistol is just not enough.
General Firearms Forum
Bob Hafler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 15:14   #19
mj9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hafler View Post
This. Because there are times when a pistol is just not enough.
General Firearms Forum
mj9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 15:40   #20
Z71bill

I am taking a big leap of assumption --

If you have one gun - a G26 - then what you need is trigger time -

For $700 you can almost get a .22 caliber pistol (Ruger makes several nice models), Marlin model 60 / Ruger 10/22 rifle and a Remington / Mossberg pump shotgun.

Go buy few bricks (500 rounds) of .22 ammo and shoot until your finger is tired.

We (wife likes to shoot) were going to the range - shooting 150-200 rounds of center fire ammo - and 30-45 minutes later were on our way home.

I now have three .22 rifles and two .22 handguns - I still blast off a few larger caliber rounds - but mostly shoot .22 caliber - we stay until we get tired or hungry and it only costs us $20 in ammo.

Last edited by Z71bill; 02-07-2012 at 15:41..
Z71bill is offline   Reply With Quote