GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-29-2012, 19:04   #1
malleable

Why a handgun when settled in for the night?

I've read posts about perceived home invasions during the night and being comfortable with XX caliber handgun, as this would be sufficient to get them to there shotgun/rifle. Isn't this reverse logic? Why transition from something inferior to the better fight stopper? I personally am of the sit in a corner quietly and let them come to me camp.

Last edited by malleable; 01-29-2012 at 19:06..
malleable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 19:06   #2
cowboy1964

Not sure I understand the question. Are you asking why not just have a 12 gauge beside the bed?
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 19:11   #3
Coug

My kids would love my 870 to play with in the middle of the night. Until it made the loud noise...

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk
Old 01-29-2012, 19:15   #4
michael e

I keep handgun out because I do not want to have to open the gun room and safe every morning. Thats is an extra 3 locks multi times a day. Instead my carry gun for the day , my BUG and the better halfs guns stay with us at night.
michael e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 19:34   #5
malleable

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
Not sure I understand the question. Are you asking why not just have a 12 gauge beside the bed?
Yes, thank you that would have been clearer on my part. I completely understand the child safety factor but when someone implies they can fight there way with a handgun to a long gun i assume the long gun is unsecured? So, why start with the inferior weapon?
Old 01-29-2012, 19:38   #6
sfguard
Spread Out!

My off duty weapon just gets a flashlight put on it and goes to bed on the night stand beside the bed. I really don't think too many are going to want to go too many rounds with the ole 45. I could be wrong but I doubt it.

Would a shotgun be better? Probably for a lot of people. But looking at my house and the way it is set up (narrow doors) I will take the 45 due to maneuverability in here.

I don't tell people what they would be better off with ie shotgun pistol or rifle. I also don't get into caliber wars. I think they are mute points at best and just down right silly internet commando crap. Take what will work best for you with your surroundings, find a caliber your comfy with get some practice and hopefully some training and use it to the best of your ability should the need arise.

If you do those things plus knowing the layout of your home you will have the upper hand on John Q. Scumbag.

Proud Veteran of JTF Bravo, Operations Noble Eagle, Enduring Freedom, and Iraqi freedom
sfguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 19:46   #7
diamondd2

I never understood this either. Shotgun/rifle seems much more logical to me. I have a dozen handguns but do not keep any loaded around the house. I keep the Remington 870 loaded but not chambered mounted on the wall in the bedroom high enough for me or my wife to reach but not the children to reach. I figure by the time they are able to reach the thing they will know how to use it.
diamondd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 19:47   #8
Cole125
Silver Membership

A rifle or shotgun is a better fight stopper, everyone knows that. A pistol is simply easier to secure and keep handy than a long gun. My grab and go gun in the middle of the night is a G19 with 17 round mag and a Streamlight 2 light/laser. If I know I am going to be in a gun fight I'll hopefully have time to open the safe and get one of my ARs out.
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 19:51   #9
powder86
SHOOT SAFE!

i have my shotgun, m4, and g30 next to my bed. the scenario plays out with me using my g30 to get to my daughter. the free hand allows me to pick her up, use a light switch, turn a door knob etc... once i have my daughter, it's back to my room, where we entrench. me with the shotgun aimed at the door. my wife with the m4 as back up while she's on the phone dialing 911.
i start with the handgun, as it allows me a free hand to get to my daughter.
Old 01-29-2012, 19:59   #10
owl6roll

Send a message via AIM to owl6roll
IF, I saw and had time to react, I'd go with my rifle, but for something going down and God willing, the first thing I will get my hand(s) on, would be a pistol.
Old 01-29-2012, 20:00   #11
ColdSteelNail

Quote:
Originally Posted by powder86 View Post
i have my shotgun, m4, and g30 next to my bed. the scenario plays out with me using my g30 to get to my daughter. the free hand allows me to pick her up, use a light switch, turn a door knob etc... once i have my daughter, it's back to my room, where we entrench. me with the shotgun aimed at the door. my wife with the m4 as back up while she's on the phone dialing 911.
It's really good to have a plan. I know where my wife's going to be and she knows where I'm going to be if something goes bump in the night.
ColdSteelNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 20:24   #12
TN.Frank
Mad Hatter

It's kind of hard to stick a shotgun under your pillow,LOL.
Besides, I've only got my 642 so it's my "go to" because I have no other choice right now.
Old 01-29-2012, 20:28   #13
malleable

Quote:
This was so obvious that I didn't see it. I was looking thru the eyes of a single man!
Old 01-29-2012, 20:30   #14
themighty9mm

For the exact same reason people want the smallest guns for carry. They are by no means superior to a full sized. However much more convenient. Mush easier to set a pistol in the night stand than go to a locked safe. Also for checking out the late night bumps more convenient to grab something one handed (handgun) than grab something that to properly use needs 2 hands. Just simply convenience for the most part.
themighty9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 21:02   #15
JackMac

laser sight, works best at night. Real quick sight acquisition. I prefer Glock 19 with crimson trace, but whatever you shoot comfortably and accurately should be what you use as it will be a high stress circumstance. Plan, plan and plan some more, then practice the senarios with a unloaded hand gun. Practice makes perfect. Train and then train somemore. There are lots of good DVDs on the subject. Be prepared then hope and pray you never have to shoot someone.
Old 01-29-2012, 21:29   #16
Teecher45

Quote:
The exact and only reason I have a G21 with a TLR 1. I have 3 boys and one is an infant. The extra hand could be needed. The Colt 6920 has a red dot and a white light on it but is very hard to manuver through the house, it is mainly for outside, we live on a farm. Once the boys, wife, and I are together in our bedroom and 911 has been called we will hunker-down between the bed and the outside wall with the 6920 and 870. Once my family is with me anyone else in the house is welcome to anything else in the house.
Old 01-29-2012, 21:36   #17
ReyFufuRulesAll
Pantless Wonder

Send a message via ICQ to ReyFufuRulesAll Send a message via AIM to ReyFufuRulesAll Send a message via MSN to ReyFufuRulesAll Send a message via Yahoo to ReyFufuRulesAll

.357 in my underwear drawer. If 12 rounds of that doesn't stop them, I'm ****ed anyway.

Anything you can't do pantless, isn't worth doing.

Last edited by ReyFufuRulesAll; 01-29-2012 at 22:02..
ReyFufuRulesAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 23:00   #18
RowdyatHeart

Remington 870 Youth 3" 20 gauge with 21" barrel for home defense. Before you laugh at me, go handle one and then shoot one. They are easy to handle. I found out about them when teaching my kids how to shoot a shotgun. Can't beat them. A handgun safely secured in various locations works nicely but my purpose for a handgun is to empower me to get to my long gun. A 20 gauge at close ranges is safe as far as over penetration but deadly.

Last edited by RowdyatHeart; 01-29-2012 at 23:01..
RowdyatHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 23:37   #19
matt_lowry123

I keep a usp 45 in the bed side table. I hope I can fight my way to the gun safe in the garage and get into my cannon safe in time to fight the rest of the battle with my 870.
matt_lowry123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 23:43   #20
LASTRESORT20
LongTerm-Guy

G19......870 close.
LASTRESORT20 is offline   Reply With Quote