Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-31-2012, 18:17   #1
Chewy Montenegro

Taurus Millennium

Hello all, over the weekend I had the chance to shoot a Taurus Millennium Pro in 9mm. I really enjoyed it even though I only got to shoot it twice; liked the way it aimed, super accurate, smooth trigger, and it fit well in my hand despite how big they are. Does anybody have any experience with these or own one? Ive considered perhaps getting one in the future for a carry weapon but I dont want to make a judgement based off two shots
Chewy Montenegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 18:24   #2
Taphius

I had a millenium pro 9mm as my first pistol, had around 900 rounds before it traded it in on a CZ P07. Zero issues with it, trigger was surprisingly good going off reset.

I'd get the taurus 609 or 640 if I was going back to one.

Academy sports regularly has them on sale for under $300. Very good deal if you get one that works well (seems to be one of the models Taurus does well with, like the 92/101)

Last edited by Taphius; 01-31-2012 at 18:35..
Taphius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 18:24   #3
tq_g22
Young Gun

I wish i could be of more assistance but a friend of mine has had a millenium for a number of years and carries it daily. He loves it and hasnt had any problems with it...
Old 01-31-2012, 18:26   #4
arclight610

Go to Taurusarmed.net. Pretty knowledgeable guys in regards to Taurus firearms.
arclight610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 18:42   #5
travis34769

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy Montenegro View Post
Hello all, over the weekend I had the chance to shoot a Taurus Millennium Pro in 9mm. I really enjoyed it even though I only got to shoot it twice; liked the way it aimed, super accurate, smooth trigger, and it fit well in my hand despite how big they are. Does anybody have any experience with these or own one? Ive considered perhaps getting one in the future for a carry weapon but I dont want to make a judgement based off two shots
I personally love the gun. I love Taurus. You will have a hard time getting people to agree that Taurus is a good company. They are and they have proved it to me time and time again. I have had to only send one of my 5 Taurus pistols to them. I only sent it back cause I am very picky. The lifetime warranty and their technology is over the top.

I love their guns!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
- USA Gun Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
- Pro Carry Holsters
travis34769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 18:46   #6
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

I bought one of the first ones back when they came out.
It was my first pocket sized carry gun. Unfortunately the dealer sold it to me with a broken trigger, but Taurus fixed that for me at no charge.

The gun was reliable and fairly accurate. It was one of the few guns I ever had that would feed a fired casing. I traded it off for something else a long time ago.

It's one of the few I wish I would have kept.

Alexander Hamilton, author of Federalist No. 1. 10/27/1787
Jason D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 20:14   #7
Chewy Montenegro

Thanks for the replies! I definitely want to shoot one again. Although I have never owned a Taurus they have caught my eye over the years for styling and design, and I seem to find consistently good reviews of their products.
Chewy Montenegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 20:44   #8
bac1023

The Pro version was much better the the standard model, which was junk.

bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 20:52   #9
Caver 60

Don't have any experience with the newer models. I remember that some of the first couple generations of the Millennium Pro PT series had some issues and a lot of badmouthing existed on the internet forums. Also there was a lot of badmouthing about customer service back then. Since I've never needed Taurus customer service, I can't comment on that.

I don't remember the generation (but it was the last one before the SA/DA ones) when I bought a DAO Mil Pro PT145. I still have it and I still love it. It's the only 'plastic' pistol that I've ever bought that I have never had issues with (and that includes Kahrs). Although I do love my Kahrs for a small carry pistol, and all my Kahrs run 100% now or I wouldn't carry them. Same with my other carry pistols, 100% or don't carry them.

The Mil Pro has been 100% (and I do mean 100%) from new out of the box. I fired several hundred rounds from new out of the box, then did a little very light 'fluff and buff' just to make me happy. Fired a few hundred more rounds and considered it a carry gun.

It's deadly accurate and handles great with a good DAO (which is the only way I'd ever consider owning a carry pistol, DAO or nothing) trigger pull. It's also a natural 'Point shooter' for me.

That's also important to me. If it doesn't 'point shoot' for me, I won't carry it. You won't always have time to line up sights at close range. And I've shot a lot of small four legged varmints at close range using the point shooting technique, even quite a few using my P3AT's. So I know the technique works, but it does require expending enough ammunition to stay proficient at it.

Outside of function testing, the manual safety and the key lock safety on my Mil Pro have NEVER been engaged. I won't carry a pistol that has to have a manual safety to be safe. But that's just me. Same manual of arms for every carry pistol.

ETA, here's a good link on point shooting.

http://www.spw-duf.info/point.html

2nd ETA. Far as I personally am concerned, Taurus ruined a good pistol when they went SA/DA, since you have to use the manual safety with them to be safe. I won't buy one of those.

Last edited by Caver 60; 01-31-2012 at 21:48.. Reason: Add info
Caver 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 20:55   #10
CBennett

I think i will end up with the millenium Pro(latest model) in .45 I think its the Mill pro 145...shot a friend at works and really liked it..he has 500+ rounds through it no issues...its probably one of the smallest but best in hand .45 ACP's ive shot..not a hard shooter either..I figured the recoil would be bad but it wasnt.
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 00:49   #11
MinnesnowtaWild

My buddy has a PT145 and I will admit that it's a nice shooter. The fit and finish certainly isn't top notch, and the manual safety isn't exactly crisp but the gun overall is pretty nice. For a .45 ACP that holds 10+1, it's a pretty small size. The grip is not overly thick at all and the ergonomics are great.

For the money, I'de say it's a pretty good deal.
MinnesnowtaWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:52   #12
MediaMan

A Taurus MilPro PT145 was the first handgun I ever bought, at a Bass Pro years ago. It's a great shootin' little gun and is my cold weather IWB EDC and my HD standby after my Judge Public Defender.
MediaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:17   #13
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

It's your money so if you want it and like it enough, have at it.

I gave up on Taurus long ago. I had entirely too many bad experiences and broken guns from them to ever waste my money on another one. If you want some good advice, save your money and get something of better quality.

Taurus is Brazilian for,

NEVER AGAIN!!!

I learned my lesson the hard way. Taurus will never get another penny of my money ever again.

Pure junk, no but not far from it.

YMMV (but probably not.)
Old 02-01-2012, 09:41   #14
CBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
The Pro version was much better the the standard model, which was junk.
If anyone gets one remember this...Honestly they are almost like 2 different guns....(they are not im just talking QUALITY/RELIABILITY wise) id not bother owning a standard/first when they came out model..I DO want a 145 Pro.
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:51   #15
Bilbo Bagins
Slacked jawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesnowtaWild View Post
My buddy has a PT145 and I will admit that it's a nice shooter. The fit and finish certainly isn't top notch, and the manual safety isn't exactly crisp but the gun overall is pretty nice. For a .45 ACP that holds 10+1, it's a pretty small size. The grip is not overly thick at all and the ergonomics are great.

For the money, I'de say it's a pretty good deal.
When the XDs got introduced at teh Shot Show, I looked at some other .45 pocket guns and the Taurus PT145 and the single stack PT745 caught my eye. They are pretty small and lightweight for a .45. They seem to be a good economical option for a pocket .45.

Bilbo Bagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:56   #16
chrisf608

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOH212 View Post
It's your money so if you want it and like it enough, have at it.

I gave up on Taurus long ago. I had entirely too many bad experiences and broken guns from them to ever waste my money on another one. If you want some good advice, save your money and get something of better quality.

Taurus is Brazilian for,

NEVER AGAIN!!!

I learned my lesson the hard way. Taurus will never get another penny of my money ever again.

Pure junk, no but not far from it.

YMMV (but probably not.)
If your comments dont actually pertain to the Millennium model keep it to your self please.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:23   #17
gatorboy

The Mil Pro and 24/7 lines are good. I have not had the chance to try the 8** series (hammer fired) but have heard good things about them as well. The thing I personally like least about the Mil Pro's are the Heinie Straight Eight sight (rear) which is very easily replaced, I did mine with rear 24/7 sights. The biggest issue with the Mil Pros is weak mag release leaf springs which is also very easily replaced (Glock springs work perfectly). The 45 versions and 640 (.40 built on 45 frame) are my favorites. I can afford more expensive pistols and have many but bought a few Tauri because of their size and they feel good in my hands. The 45's are in a size/weight/capacity class of their own, really.
gatorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 13:08   #18
Blade37db

My first semi was a PT111 Pro (9mm). It was a DAO model. Put about 600 rounds through it without a problem. I just wasn't very accurate with it and decided I wanted a semi without an external safety. It's a nice package for the price.
Blade37db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 13:22   #19
mjb03bolt

I had a PT145 Millenium Pro. It was my primary carry gun for about 3 years. Reliable and accurate. I never had any problems at all with the Taurus and it was decent in the accuracy department. Got a Kahr PM45 and sold the Taurus to a buddy 3 years ago ( which he carries daily ). I've had to replace the trigger bar twice in the Kahr along with several hundered rounds break in and several hundred rounds determining what the Kahr would feed in SD ammo. I now have a G36 and love it Reliable, accurate, eats any type ammo and easy to carry. A little bigger than both the Kahr and the Taurus but more than makes up for it in all other areas. Hope this helps.
mjb
mjb03bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 13:40   #20
Chiefret

I bought the Millennium Pro PT145 several years ago because I was looking for a small size, high cap 45 and the PT145 fit the bill. At the time a bought it I had issues right out of the box. I had to send it back to Taurus who replace a warped slide. Now it works great. The only thing I was not happy about was Taurus made me pay to ship it back to them. It was their poor QA. I'm still peeved about it.

Last edited by Chiefret; 02-01-2012 at 13:40..
Chiefret is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
millenium, pistol, taurus