Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-30-2012, 21:36   #1
crsuribe
10mm Auto

Help with Don Hume H715

Hey guys,

I've looked online and so far haven't been able to find a solution to my problem.

I carry my pistol in a Don Hume H715 IWB holster that I like a lot. Only problem is almost everytime I draw my pistol out of it, the holster remains attached to it because the clip is garbage and doesn't really hold on to the belt.

I don't want to find another holster and think there might be something I can do to modify or (preferably) replace the clip with something with a better design.

Anyone else having the same problem or know where I can find a solution?

*I love USA*
crsuribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:12   #2
Bullwinkle J Moose
Quick! Duck!

Most holsters I have with metal clips like those work so well that I have difficulty putting them on and taking them off my belt. But I use beefy gun belts. You are putting the clip over the belt, right? If you are using a thin flimsy dress belt, that could be your problem and you need a gun belt. If not, you can stretch a very tight leather holster by putting the gun in a sandwich/freezer type bag, holstering it and leaving it overnight or longer. If it doesn't stretch enough try two bags. I suppose it's also possible the clip is sprung. If all else fails, call Don Hume for advice. If it's a new holster, they should make it good, if it is defective.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:40   #3
Jake-Gallows

I am a big fan of Don Hume holsters, and own quite a few. My G19, G34 and G26 all ride in a Don Hume H721-OT. The 715 is the one holster of theirs that I own and stopped carrying. The clip does not hold the gun in any position, it moves way too much, and I like my gun to be in a certain place when I reach for it. The weakness of the 715 is the clip, it is what it is...a single clip.
Don Hume has great customer service, and better IWB designs out there, I would give them a call and see about trading it, etc
I know you said you didnt want to get rid of it...but it is a problem design
Glock Certified Instructor / Glock Armorer
Jake-Gallows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 21:00   #4
crsuribe
10mm Auto

I just want to replace the clip 'cause it doesn't work. Otherwise the holster is great. Anyone I can pay to make me a kydex clip or something?

*I love USA*
Old 01-31-2012, 23:09   #5
rvrctyrngr
Senior Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by crsuribe View Post
I just want to replace the clip 'cause it doesn't work. Otherwise the holster is great. Anyone I can pay to make me a kydex clip or something?
Where do you carry the pistol? Are you trying to cant the holster at all?

I've been using that model with numerous guns for years. I carry in the appendix position with that holster. Thousands of draws and I've never had the rig come out with the gun.

Perhaps you are not utilizing the rig for it's designed purpose.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife.
-Justice Oliver Wendel Holmes Brown v. United States, 1921
rvrctyrngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 19:22   #6
Mudshark100

I use a 715 fairly regularly. I wear it canted and still have no problem with it staying in place when I draw. Mine is a great holster. I usually use the 715 on days when I will be putting the holster on and off during the day (like when I am going to work and have to leave it in the car). Depending on what I am wearing that day, I may be using the holster with regular dress belt or my thicker Cross Breed gun belt. Regardless of the belt, I have no problems with the holster staying in place. Just my experience.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:58   #7
valian

I have had problems with the clip on 715 when using thick belts. The clips they use are not good at all and a thick belt will push/angle the bottom out so it will not catch on the belt.
I do not think you will find a simple way to replace the clip. What you want is a clip like that used by Fist holsters (and some old Sarariland Holsters that i have) that has an added hook in the center of the main clip to hook the belt.
valian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:02   #8
mj9mm

i've made about a dozen holsters of my own recently, and i have used a velcro strip in place of leather loops, and it works very well, it holds tight , but is easy to remove when i take the holster off at night
mj9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 16:56   #9
crsuribe
10mm Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrctyrngr View Post
Where do you carry the pistol? Are you trying to cant the holster at all?

I've been using that model with numerous guns for years. I carry in the appendix position with that holster. Thousands of draws and I've never had the rig come out with the gun.

Perhaps you are not utilizing the rig for it's designed purpose.
3 o' clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudshark100 View Post
I use a 715 fairly regularly. I wear it canted and still have no problem with it staying in place when I draw. Mine is a great holster. I usually use the 715 on days when I will be putting the holster on and off during the day (like when I am going to work and have to leave it in the car). Depending on what I am wearing that day, I may be using the holster with regular dress belt or my thicker Cross Breed gun belt. Regardless of the belt, I have no problems with the holster staying in place. Just my experience.
It seems like the thickness of my belt and jeans doesnt allow the clip to wrap the retaining end around the belt so it doesnt hold on to it when I draw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valian View Post
I have had problems with the clip on 715 when using thick belts. The clips they use are not good at all and a thick belt will push/angle the bottom out so it will not catch on the belt.
I do not think you will find a simple way to replace the clip. What you want is a clip like that used by Fist holsters (and some old Sarariland Holsters that i have) that has an added hook in the center of the main clip to hook the belt.
YES. You completely understood the issue. That is exactly what happens to me... the belt seems too thick. Exactly what you described. I wish it had a clip that would actually hook onto the belt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj9mm View Post
i've made about a dozen holsters of my own recently, and i have used a velcro strip in place of leather loops, and it works very well, it holds tight , but is easy to remove when i take the holster off at night
Nice suggestion. I will look into something like that.

Really wish there was just someone who could make me a clip that doesn't suck for this otherwise perfect holster.

*I love USA*
Old 02-02-2012, 19:02   #10
valian

OK i got more curious about this problem and decided to examine the holster and clip. I noticed a substantial 'bump' at the upper surface of the leather covering the clip. I removed to clip to see what is the cause of the bump because i am sure it contributes to the thickness of the belt pushing the clip out more.
The bump is caused by 2 small sharp prongs of steel pushed out from the clip to help prevent the clip from coming out of the leather. As the bump at the bottom of the clip protruding from the leather has the same function and other holsters do not seem to have these prongs it is a little redundant, and the prongs did not seem to retard removal of the clip when i removed it (just used a screwdriver to carefully lift the leather ath the bottom 'bump' while pushing out with fingers .
Using pliers i flattened the prongs, and it does help the situation a little using a reinforced uncle mike's instructor style belt (which btw i have been wearing nearly every day for 8 years now and still going strong and very stiff still). in the end i switched the clip from an old safariland nylon iwb holster i do not use because the size is almost identical.. this one has the hook i spoke of.

You could also try to buy another clip online. i have searched for one with the hook without success. If anyone knows a source i would sure like to know about it!!! You can usually buy clips from companies that sell knife making supplies. If you measure the pertinent dimensions you could probably match it up and maybe get one with a little wider opening.
I think it was the maker of Fist holsters who mentioned somewhere on his site that until he found this style clip he did not offer an iwb clip on because he considered it not secure enough with normal clips.

Good luck
valian
valian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 21:08   #11
crsuribe
10mm Auto

And I would agree with him. I will definitely check out your suggestion and report any findings if I'm able to fix the problem.

*I love USA*
Old 02-02-2012, 22:01   #12
rvrctyrngr
Senior Moment

Thanks for clarifying, crsuribe. The thickness of the belt would definitely be an issue if the heel of the clip is not getting under the edge of the belt.

I'll take one of mine over to a buddy that works with Kydex. Will see if maybe he can design a longer kydex talon-type clip for this holster.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Old 02-02-2012, 22:10   #13
killingjoke

I also have a H715 with the same problem.what works for me is the holster clip behind the belt at a 3:30 position.So far so good. I wear mostly jeans so there's no sag.carry G23
killingjoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 20:54   #14
crsuribe
10mm Auto

Yeah I've been carrying with the clip under the belt and it works most of the time; usually when the belt is tight then the holster won't come out with the gun.

So I want a 100% solution; something that will allow me to carry with the clip on top of the belt and hooked to it so that the holster won't remain attached to the gun when I draw.

rvrctyrngr, Please let me know if your friend comes up with something!

Thanks for the insight guys. So far the issue remains unresolved but if I find a fix, I will definitely share it here.

*I love USA*
Old 02-04-2012, 18:41   #15
rvrctyrngr
Senior Moment

Quote:
Yeah I've been carrying with the clip under the belt and it works most of the time; usually when the belt is tight then the holster won't come out with the gun.

So I want a 100% solution; something that will allow me to carry with the clip on top of the belt and hooked to it so that the holster won't remain attached to the gun when I draw.

rvrctyrngr, Please let me know if your friend comes up with something!

Thanks for the insight guys. So far the issue remains unresolved but if I find a fix, I will definitely share it here.
Will do. I'm going to see him on Monday.

Curious why you put the clip under the belt and not over, as it was designed to be used?

Old 02-04-2012, 20:18   #16
crsuribe
10mm Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrctyrngr View Post
Will do. I'm going to see him on Monday.

Curious why you put the clip under the belt and not over, as it was designed to be used?
Because as stated in previous posts the thickness of the belt keeps the clip pushed upward at an angle in a way that doesn't allow it to grab the belt at all.

*I love USA*
Old 02-04-2012, 20:25   #17
JackMac

mine works just fine if I use a gun dress belt...like ones made by Galco or the like....as they are better and thicker leather than most dress belts. For Glock 26, you may want to check out Mika pocket holsters....affordable and I was extremely satisfied with mine. Custom made,...the date it was made....your name on the inside. Really nice piece of work.
Old 02-04-2012, 20:28   #18
rvrctyrngr
Senior Moment

Quote:
Because as stated in previous posts the thickness of the belt keeps the clip pushed upward at an angle in a way that doesn't allow it to grab the belt at all.
Gotcha. That'll help. Thanks.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:40   #19
drobs

I found I needed to either draw a couple hundred times from my Don Hume holsters & use a product called Leather Lightning to get the holsters to loosen up.

http://www.mitchrosen.com/product_li...ellaneous.html

Have a JIT slide holster & what I believe was called a Double Nine holster.

They are tight holsters, gotta loosen em up a bit.

Last edited by drobs; 02-06-2012 at 07:11..
drobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:50   #20
crsuribe
10mm Auto

That's probably part of the problem! Thank you

*I love USA*