Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-30-2012, 18:13   #1
Dexters

Let's talk about Doomsday Preppers

I've watched the following 'Doomsday Preppers' Let me know if I've missed any and add your comments.

Generally all these people presented themselves well. I think the strongest point for all of them is that they have their family involved and support. Also, they have integrated their prepping into their lives and appear to be happy.

The general weakness is what we here have discussed - have like minded people around where you live and being similarly prepared.

For the life of me I can not understand why any of them participated in the program.

1. Phoenix - Family with self sustaining pool set up worried about solar eruption

- Pool set up is great and his plans for the roof are also good.

- Did they have guns?

2. Phoenix - Suburban housewife worried about hyper inflation

- Currently provided services - water, electricity, sanitation seem to be lacking

3. Utah - Salesman underground shelter worried about nuclear bomb

- Getting to the location might be the biggest challenge; they really need to be there before the bomb goes off.

4 . South Carolina ranch/farm worried about society breakdown

- We've discussed this situation - being close to a city - they need bear/pepper spray and probably silencers.

Last edited by Dexters; 01-30-2012 at 18:20..
Dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 18:59   #2
cowboy1964

Any bug out location is going to be problematic if you don't get out in time. That comes with the territory, so to speak.

An underground shelter like that is terrific but I would want my entrance to be better concealed. Their's, even though it was out in the middle of nowhere, could be seen for a long ways by anyone paying any attention at all.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 01-30-2012 at 19:02..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 19:23   #3
sigbear

I didn't know Doomsday Preppers started yet, what channel?
sigbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 19:56   #4
cysoto
Gone Shooting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigbear View Post
It's not due to air until Feb 7 but there are a few short videos at this link: http://video.nationalgeographic.com/...-preservation/

Last edited by cysoto; 01-30-2012 at 19:57..
cysoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 19:57   #5
wrenrj1

Quote:
Me too!
Old 01-30-2012, 19:59   #6
Dexters

Quote:

Search youtube
Old 01-30-2012, 20:02   #7
jdavionic
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexters View Post
Search youtube
Says that the video has been removed.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 20:28   #8
DoctaGlockta

Thanks for the video link. Wait to watch the 'Doris Day of Doom' video set and get a load of the bloke who thinks he doesn't need weapons or firearms to protect the group from invaders. He is going to invite said looters/thugs/killers over for a nice dinner and chat. Pass the bong Cheech .

- Barack Hussein Obama
DoctaGlockta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 20:51   #9
cowboy1964

A "preview" of sorts ran a few months ago, highlighting 4 (IIRC) prepper families. It looks like the new series is going to repeat those, and add new ones.
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 21:10   #10
Dexters

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavionic View Post
Says that the video has been removed.
You have to search a lot to find them but I found the 4 I mentioned.
Old 01-30-2012, 21:22   #11
Lone Kimono

Yeah, all four of those were online for a good while. I think they were there yesterday when I looked.
Lone Kimono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:40   #12
sebecman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexters View Post
For the life of me I can not understand why any of them participated in the program.
It's a TV "Reality" Show and as such I dismiss it as entertainment with little basis in fact.

It is my belief that not a single "Reality" show is actually based more than 50% in reality. Rather they are a gross conglomeration of humanity and Hollyweird script writers.

Do you think the Pawn industry is really as exciting as those fatso's make it look? Or is driving a truck on some back roads really that cool unless you got a smoking blonde hottie doing it? Really? What about logging? I've been there, nothing glamorous about it...but all these shows have millions of veiwers...why?

WRITERS. They aren't just out there letting the cameras roll...they are making their own version of "reality" for us to enjoy while we shovel their advertiser's crap into our faces....

The overriding mandate of any such program is to increase veiwership so the producers can attract advertising dollars.

Money..that is why the families sign on to be portrayed as whatever the shows writers want to portray them as.
sebecman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:50   #13
humanguerrilla

From what I've seen this show will probably make life much harder for preppers among friends and family who do not prep.

...but maybe a few pearls of "I never thought of that"s or "wow cool" will redeem it.

like the SHTF pink stripper pole
http://video.nationalgeographic.com/...f-the-fittest/

Last edited by humanguerrilla; 01-31-2012 at 09:57..
humanguerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 19:28   #14
wrenrj1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebecman View Post
It's a TV "Reality" Show and as such I dismiss it as entertainment with little basis in fact.

It is my belief that not a single "Reality" show is actually based more than 50% in reality. Rather they are a gross conglomeration of humanity and Hollyweird script writers.

Do you think the Pawn industry is really as exciting as those fatso's make it look? Or is driving a truck on some back roads really that cool unless you got a smoking blonde hottie doing it? Really? What about logging? I've been there, nothing glamorous about it...but all these shows have millions of veiwers...why?

WRITERS. They aren't just out there letting the cameras roll...they are making their own version of "reality" for us to enjoy while we shovel their advertiser's crap into our faces....

The overriding mandate of any such program is to increase veiwership so the producers can attract advertising dollars.

Money..that is why the families sign on to be portrayed as whatever the shows writers want to portray them as.
Thanks for ruining my excited Christmas morning like anticipation that this show may be mildly entertaining. Ill bet you're great a kids partys...
Old 02-01-2012, 02:23   #15
GAU-8

Quote:
Do you think the Pawn industry is really as exciting as those fatso's make it look?
LOL!!

I was thinking the same thing when surfing last night. The pawn business just isn't that glamorous! And what the heck does it have to do with History? Why are these not-reality shows on the History channel, the discovery channel, Natgeo and such? Are they that desperate? Ax Men, ya that's history. What a joke these channels have become. Oh, and the best yet.......Finding Bigfoot!
GAU-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:19   #16
pugman

Quote:
...but all these shows have millions of veiwers...why?
Because the American audience is lazy and stupid and television producers realize these shows are cheap to produce and if they put them on the air someone will watch.

Proof: Several months ago the new Gander Mountain opened in Madison, WI with one of their first training academies - its a nice facility.

There was a huge line of people waiting for something; ask a guy behind the counter and he said some of the "stars" of Swamp People were going to be there.

This line was over 1,000 people long and the clerk said they had people waiting at the front door since 9 pm the previous night...

These are the same people who will be waiting in line for soup if the U.S economy crashes...

One of the chapter's in my upcoming book will be "the definition of celebrity has changed....a lot"

Last edited by pugman; 02-01-2012 at 08:20..
pugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:46   #17
sebecman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenrj1 View Post
Thanks for ruining my excited Christmas morning like anticipation that this show may be mildly entertaining. Ill bet you're great a kids partys...
I don't go to kids parties but if I ever do I will be sure to let you know how I do...
sebecman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:51   #18
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugman View Post
Because the American audience is lazy and stupid and television producers realize these shows are cheap to produce and if they put them on the air someone will watch.

Proof: Several months ago the new Gander Mountain opened in Madison, WI with one of their first training academies - its a nice facility.

There was a huge line of people waiting for something; ask a guy behind the counter and he said some of the "stars" of Swamp People were going to be there.

This line was over 1,000 people long and the clerk said they had people waiting at the front door since 9 pm the previous night...

These are the same people who will be waiting in line for soup if the U.S economy crashes...

One of the chapter's in my upcoming book will be "the definition of celebrity has changed....a lot"

Damned good post.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 15:16   #19
B.Reid

Guess I need to DVR this.

Earth has always been a dangerous place to live. Be prepared!
B.Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 19:22   #20
wrenrj1

Quote:
I don't go to kids parties but if I ever do I will be sure to let you know how I do...
Great comeback!