Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-15-2012, 18:05   #321
dhoomonyou

IMHO a number of "factors", are any true? You be the judge.

5-6 shot capacity not enough for multiple attackers

Drugged out attackers

Attackers with semi autos & large cap mags

HOLLYWOOD

weight, and accuracy of 38 spl revolvers

ability of shooter
Smith & Wesson Club # 711
Do not demand accomplishment from those with no talent.
dhoomonyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:46   #322
jmathis84

Being a younger person I grew up in the wonder 9's and polymer gun arena. That is all that is talked about on forums and among other concealed carriers in my area. I have and carry a G22 on a regular basis. I like the polymer guns and the high capacity mags. Revolvers have always intrested me since I was a kid watching westerns. I have owned a couple and all in 38 special. I carried the ole "FBI' load. Theone gun I sold and wished to this day I never did was a 10-6 Smith HB. That was by far my favorite gun I have owned. I know this was kinda long winded but I never felt undergunned the whole time I carried it. I will own more 38's specifally a 442 and if i'm lucky another model 10hb. Theres just something about strapping on that ole wood and steel that just kinda gets to ya.

Last edited by jmathis84; 02-17-2012 at 06:48..
jmathis84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:02   #323
user
VaLegalDefense

One of my favorite topics. Both the .38 special and the 9mm (loaded to standard pressure) have enough kinetic energy at fifty yards to crush human bone, and either will be more than sufficient at normal defensive range. The value in those cartridges has more to do with the trajectory, which, at normal defensive range, is fairly level.

The .45 ACP, on the other hand is fine if the sights are adjusted to the specific distance of the paper target, but if it's a target that's moving, then you have to pull out your trajectory tables in order to calculate the elevation changes before you shoot.

"It isn't always being fast, or even accurate that counts; it's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing; they blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger...I won't."

- John Bernard Books played by John Wayne in "The Shootist".
Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:12   #324
HexHead

Couple of years ago, my wife and I went on a 10-day driving vacation. The only gun I brought was my 442 in a Mika pocket holster. It was comfortable, unobtrusive and I didn't feel vulnerable. It was enough.
HexHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:17   #325
PzGren

When did the 38Spl stop being "Enough"?

...that started when "guncraft" went out of fashion...
PzGren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:05   #326
L Pete

Amen, PzGren.....Marksmanship counts....
L Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:51   #327
carbuncle
is not cool.

Talk about anachronistic, not only do I want a 4" .38 revolver but I'm also feeling the pull of a .44 Special, perhaps a snubby...

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2012, 15:17   #328
writwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Falcon View Post
For me, it was the shooting in Toucson. I stopped carrying my J-frame 642, and started carrying my Glock 22, with 180gr. Winchester Ranger T-series rounds. With a spare mag in my pocket, I feel more comfortable than with 10 rounds of .38 Special.
Can you elaborate on that shooting?
Old 02-17-2012, 15:19   #329
writwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick9614 View Post
April 11, 1986, at least in the FBI's and general public's perception.
If that was the Miami Shootout, the fight was stopped by a 38SPL.
Old 02-17-2012, 17:07   #330
Jade Falcon
49er Loyal

Quote:
Originally Posted by writwing View Post
Can you elaborate on that shooting?
Let me put it to you like this:

Would you have rather faced Jared Laughner with a 5-shot .38 Special with one speedloader and a 1-7/8th-inch barrel, or...

...with a Glock 22, loaded with 16 rounds of .40 S&W of your choice, along with a spare 15-round mag in your pocket/on your belt?

I can tell you which one I'd rather have...
Old 02-17-2012, 17:13   #331
sns3guppy

Quote:

Would you have rather faced Jared Laughner with a 5-shot .38 Special with one speedloader and a 1-7/8th-inch barrel, or...

...with a Glock 22, loaded with 16 rounds of .40 S&W of your choice, along with a spare 15-round mag in your pocket/on your belt?
You're aware that his shooting spree was stopped by an unarmed little old lady who wrestled his spare magazine away, aren't you?

You're also aware that he wasn't stopped using a firearm, much less a concealed, privately held one?

A .38 spl would have done just fine.
sns3guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 17:15   #332
TN.Frank
Mad Hatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Falcon View Post

I can tell you which one I'd rather have...
Ok, let ME put it to YOU like this:
Would I rather have my Beretta PX4 Storm 40cal 14+1 sitting at home because it's more then I want to carry or would I rather have my 642 S&W 38Spl with me because it's no trouble at all to carry when Jared started his shooting rampage?
I think ya'll know the answer to that one.
Old 02-17-2012, 17:23   #333
Jade Falcon
49er Loyal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns3guppy View Post
You're aware that his shooting spree was stopped by an unarmed little old lady who wrestled his spare magazine away, aren't you?

You're also aware that he wasn't stopped using a firearm, much less a concealed, privately held one?

A .38 spl would have done just fine.
Yes, I'm aware of how the shooting occured, took place, who was involved, and the circumstances surrounding it. That "little old lady" was the hero for sure.

Quote:
Ok, let ME put it to YOU like this:
Would I rather have my Beretta PX4 Storm 40cal 14+1 sitting at home because it's more then I want to carry or would I rather have my 642 S&W 38Spl with me because it's no trouble at all to carry when Jared started his shooting rampage?
I think ya'll know the answer to that one.
I gave you my answer. I don't feel the need to tie my un-twisted boxers in a wad arguing with you. I can carry a full-sized Glock of decent stopping power under my shirt, and draw it comfortably and with confidence.

But, by all means, if you want to stick with the J-frame, good for you. A gun on you is better than the one left at home in the safe.
Old 02-17-2012, 18:15   #334
Spiffums
I.C.P.

Times have changed. No longer is the lone mugger with a knife the likely threat. The Baddies run in packs and just shooting one won't necessarily make them wet their pants and run away screaming into the night.
Old 02-17-2012, 18:20   #335
Fox
Varmit Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogship View Post
I have said the choice of a revolver is a gamble of one's life that he won't need more shots, or quicker reload speed. It's not far from true.......
When such comments are stated by people who don't carry any firearm then it is stupid.

As far as the comment about capacity, you might need it. But if you do then your gunfight is going to make national headline news. The vast majority of gunfights are resolved with two shots.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Fox; 02-17-2012 at 18:21..
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 18:23   #336
glock30user

When criminals started taking PCP.
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
Thomas Jefferson
glock30user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 18:24   #337
Fox
Varmit Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
Times have changed. No longer is the lone mugger with a knife the likely threat. The Baddies run in packs and just shooting one won't necessarily make them wet their pants and run away screaming into the night.
Most such street crime, it's a lone perp or two. No big deal really.

If you really envision fighting entire gangs, then you need to pack a rifle or carbine.

Old 02-17-2012, 18:25   #338
Fox
Varmit Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by true believer View Post
i didnt read the hold thread and i'm sure its been said but i dont think the 38spl stoped being enough..just maybe semi auto's with 17 to 20 rds beats 6 any day..
i know it only takes 1 shot but...imo..would you want 6 or 17 going up against 3 guys?
Three guys? Revolvers been getting that job done for decades.

Old 02-17-2012, 18:27   #339
Fox
Varmit Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief63 View Post
I choose not to limit myself. There are times you just can't - or don't want to - conceal a large capacity semi-auto. Mouse guns and snubbies certainly have their place.
Agreed!

Old 02-17-2012, 20:54   #340
Nakanokalronin
JMB & MTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
Three guys? Revolvers been getting that job done for decades.
Yea, but if you read enough internet, humans have evolved into tougher fighting machines that made certain calibers and firearms obsolete and useless against human garbage such as the Model T1000 mugger.

Last edited by Nakanokalronin; 02-17-2012 at 20:57..
Nakanokalronin is offline   Reply With Quote