Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-25-2012, 00:31   #1
zgunner

Lead free 9mm ammo for G19

I'm looking for lead free ammo for the G19. I found these two below. Just wondering if anyone has any experience shooting lead free and if they can make any recommendations. I just want it for shooting at the range. My main concern is my family. We recently had a baby and I haven't been to the range since my wife got pregnant. I'm not even sure if I should go now. I don't want to bring lead dust home on my clothes and body after shooting. I know that I should wash my hands in cold water and wash clothes in cold water separately but I don't want to get lead dust in the car on the way home. I also want to minimize the dust on my gun when I clean it at home, etc.

1. What do other parents on this forum do in this situation? Am I being too paranoid?

2. I'm also wondering if these rounds are too weak? I'm wondering If I'll get stove pipes or feeding problems.

Ammo 9mm Luger Winchester WinClean Brass Enclosed Base 147 Grain 990 fps 50 Round Box

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemD...aspx?sku=65952

Ammo 9mm Luger Remington UMC LeadLess Full Metal Case 147 Grain 990 fps 50 Round Box

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemD...aspx?sku=46133

I appreciate any input.

Thanks

Last edited by zgunner; 01-25-2012 at 00:52.. Reason: added more info
zgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:42   #2
Merkavaboy
Code-7A KUZ769

It's always good to be cautious about lead exposure, but unless you shoot a lot, I don't think there is going to be much (if any) hazard to your children.

As for the ammo. First, both Rem LeadLess FNEB and Win WinClean BEB use lead cores. So they are not completely "lead free".

Secondly, lead-free priming is not as reliable or sensative as regular lead styphonate primers. At the indoor range I go to, they require league shooters to use WinClean BEB ammo only. They get a lot of failures to fire with this ammo in all makes/models of handguns.

In the past I've shot at least one box of both Win BEB and Rem FNEB in all weights in 9mm and didn't have a single problem.
Merkavaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 17:52   #3
WiskyT
Malcontent

I was more worried about the shoes I wore at the range than anything else. Kids are carpet crawlers and you would possibly be tracking all that stuff in your house. I wore my work shoes to the range and left them in the garage after shooting. I also changed my clothes after shooting before handling the kids. All of this is likely overkill, but it's easy enough to do.

I only had one failure to fire in my G17 and that was with Winclean ammo I was "issued" at a class I was helping to teach. I reload 99% of my ammo and I use cast bullets and standard primers. I shoot once a week or more and have had my lead level checked several times and it was always "normal".

ETA: Of course you should wash up before handling your kids or doing anything else for that matter.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay

Last edited by WiskyT; 01-25-2012 at 17:53..
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 18:24   #4
packinaglock
John 3:16 <><

I remember when we were kids we fished all the time and always bit down on the lead sinkers to attach them to the line. I still do it nowadays, I guess something's gotta kill ya.
Old 01-25-2012, 22:57   #5
zgunner

Thanks for the input guys. I just want to make sure I do everything I can to protect my family especially my baby. When I was a kid no one ever thought of this stuff or mentioned it and yes, I went fishing a lot and had tons of sinkers etc. With the internet, there's sometimes too much information heh.

I'm going to use the winclean ammo and and store my clothes in a garbage bag just to be extra safe. That's good advice. I appreciate it.
Old 01-25-2012, 23:24   #6
Kalmah
Supreme Member

I know Blazer aluminum (and I would assume Blazer Brass as well, but I don't know that for sure) has a total metal jacket. No exposed lead base. And they're a lot cheaper than those other brands you mentioned.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:12   #7
zgunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalmah View Post
I know Blazer aluminum (and I would assume Blazer Brass as well, but I don't know that for sure) has a total metal jacket. No exposed lead base. And they're a lot cheaper than those other brands you mentioned.
I don't know too much about ammo so excuse me if this doesn't make sense. Does "no exposed lead base" mean that the primer doesn't have lead either? So there will be no lead dust when it is fired? Thanks for your help.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:55   #8
Kalmah
Supreme Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgunner View Post
I don't know too much about ammo so excuse me if this doesn't make sense. Does "no exposed lead base" mean that the primer doesn't have lead either? So there will be no lead dust when it is fired? Thanks for your help.
I don't know about the primer. But the bullet is a total metal jacket - there is no exposed lead at the base of the bullet.
Old 01-26-2012, 15:50   #9
beforeobamabans
FYPM

Explore Precision Cartridge's website, there is a lot of good information about TMJs or TCJs as they call them. Follow the link to the article on lead safety at firing ranges. My best advice is to avoid indoor ranges and join an outdoor one. BTW, I have used PC reman ammo with the Rainier TCJ and it is quite good. Zero FTFs in my Glocks, although my son's Sig didn't care for the 230gr .45.

http://www.precisioncartridge.com/rainier.html

http://www.rainierballistics.com/mainframe.htm

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." Ben Franklin

Last edited by beforeobamabans; 01-26-2012 at 15:53..
beforeobamabans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 17:45   #10
tcruse

Take look at cabelas herterz TNJ by blazer. The jacket is nylon and totally covers the bullet, so that also gets any copper vapors from jacket. They are priced about the me as other range ammo. On sale this weekend for 9.99 for 50 of 9mm
tcruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 21:26   #11
zgunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by beforeobamabans View Post
Explore Precision Cartridge's website, there is a lot of good information about TMJs or TCJs as they call them. Follow the link to the article on lead safety at firing ranges. My best advice is to avoid indoor ranges and join an outdoor one. BTW, I have used PC reman ammo with the Rainier TCJ and it is quite good. Zero FTFs in my Glocks, although my son's Sig didn't care for the 230gr .45.

http://www.precisioncartridge.com/rainier.html

http://www.rainierballistics.com/mainframe.htm
Thanks for this info. I appreciate it.
Old 01-26-2012, 23:12   #12
unit1069

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgunner View Post
I'm looking for lead free ammo for the G19. I found these two below. Just wondering if anyone has any experience shooting lead free and if they can make any recommendations. I just want it for shooting at the range. My main concern is my family. ...
I always shoot outdoors because of what I've read about lead vapor. Once lead is situated in the body it doesn't leave and its cumulative effects can cause serious health issues.

I don't have any experience with lead-free ammo but from what I take from the issue is if the people on an indoor range are shooting lead rounds some of that lead is in the air.
Old 01-26-2012, 23:33   #13
HAMMERHEAD

The 9mm (100 grain?) SBR Green Match shot the smallest group ever from my 17L, about 1-1/4" for 5 shots at 25 yards, nothing else ever broke 2".

You can buy SBR ammo from their web site or from Midway. I did have one SBR primer that needed two whacks of the hammer in a Sig, but otherwise it was highly accurate, reliable ammunition. They use the nice Sinterfire 9mm frangible bullets. I use those in my handloads occasionally.

Fiocchi also makes 'green' ammo with frangible lead free bullets, but I don't know if the primers are lead free.

Another benefit of frangible bullets is ricochets are reduced and you can shoot steel up close without danger.
HAMMERHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 23:38   #14
zgunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post
I always shoot outdoors because of what I've read about lead vapor. Once lead is situated in the body it doesn't leave and its cumulative effects can cause serious health issues.

I don't have any experience with lead-free ammo but from what I take from the issue is if the people on an indoor range are shooting lead rounds some of that lead is in the air.
yup I'll be going more to the outdoor ranges from now on.
Old 01-26-2012, 23:40   #15
zgunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMMERHEAD View Post
The 9mm (100 grain?) SBR Green Match shot the smallest group ever from my 17L, about 1-1/4" for 5 shots at 25 yards, nothing else ever broke 2".

You can buy SBR ammo from their web site or from Midway. I did have one SBR primer that needed two whacks of the hammer in a Sig, but otherwise it was highly accurate, reliable ammunition. They use the nice Sinterfire 9mm frangible bullets. I use those in my handloads occasionally.

Fiocchi also makes 'green' ammo with frangible lead free bullets, but I don't know if the primers are lead free.

Another benefit of frangible bullets is ricochets are reduced and you can shoot steel up close without danger.
Thanks for the suggestion. So how does it differ from the Winchester Winclean ammo and the precision target ammo? Just asking because the Winclean and Precision ammo are much cheaper than SBR ammo. I'm willing to spend more money but I'd obviously like to save money where I can.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:08   #16
greenlion

Shoot jacketed or plated bullets.... wash your hands in cold water.... don't sweat it.
greenlion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:34   #17
NG VI

The thing is, there is an acceptable level of presence for any substance. For some things, like water, it's extremely high. For others, like radium or polonium, it's fairly low. But there is always a level of exposure that can be considered normal, where you are not going to see any effects.

For you, shooting is not really going to be an issue because you are an adult. I would shoot outdoors when possible, and many hollow point and all enclosed base bullets like a TMJ or TMC will reduce the amount of airborne lead around the shooter, because they encase the part of the bullet that is acted on by the hot gases. The bullet doesn't have to be lead-free to be safe for you, and even bare lead bullets aren't really cause for concern. If you aren't firing scores of thousands of rounds a year in enclosed spaces, you're safe and clean.

I think the only way that lead exposure can really occur in a way that increases lead levels is through ingestion. I don't think shooting generates meaningful levels of lead in the air. If it did, then there would certainly be actions taken by organizations like the Fraternal Order of Police, especially in places like NYC and Boston where most of their range time has to be indoors. Workplace safety and OSHA are no joke, if it were a problem we would have found out about it by now.

Just do what these guys are recommending, wash your range clothes separately from the baby clothes, don't go balls-out shooting nothing but high-velocity bare lead bullet loads in enclosed spaces, and don't worry too much about it.

Congratulations on the little one by the way!
Sub Club #180
NG VI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 14:40   #18
WiskyT
Malcontent

And don't let your wife shoot while pregnant. Your baby's ears are already developed and her belly does little to attenuate the noise.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 16:24   #19
NG VI

yes, sound and concussion travels quite readily through the body, and the little one does not need any extra oscillating.
Sub Club #180
NG VI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 18:14   #20
zgunner

NG VI and Whisky. Thanks for the input.

My wife definitely wont shoot at least not now. Our baby is a month old and healthy. I'm itching to go to the range

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine