Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:09   #1
Ripro
Ripro

.40 S&W with a glock?

Hey all,

I have read a lot about the bulge that can occur when you fire ammo through a Glock barrel. I have just started reloading and have all the ingredients together to start making ammo, but I still have that (what if the brass is bulged) idea in the back of my head. I bought the Lee deluxe 4 die set, so am I safe to say that if I run my brass through the carbide sizing die/decapper that the die will get rid of a bulge that I did not notice before I put the brass in there? I have so many other questions about reloading but I need to get to the bottom of this first for a little piece of mind that I don't blow my brand new Glock 27-G4 up, or worse blow my hand to smithereens.

Thank you,
Dan
Ripro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:16   #2
ColoCG

As with any gun and caliber if you stay away from max loads and use light to midrange loads, you will have no problem.

Last edited by ColoCG; 01-22-2012 at 10:18..
ColoCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:20   #3
Goldstar225
NRA member

I've been reloading "glocked" brass for use in a glock for at least 15 years with no problems. My loads do tend to be conservative (below max, no lead bullets).
Old 01-22-2012, 11:02   #4
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoCG View Post
As with any gun and caliber if you stay away from max loads and use light to midrange loads, you will have no problem.
^^THIS^^ Guys trying to make major w/ the wrong powder in their GLocks is really the issue, not the GLock bbl.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:05   #5
robin303
Helicopter Nut

I also have the Lee 4 die set and reloaded for my 23 without any problems. I reuse my brass untill it splits or loose it at the range. I have come across a couple bulged brass and just toss them.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:39   #6
ipscshooter
Mostly IDPA now

Glock .40 barrels have better support today than years ago. As said stay below max loads and see how it works out. I suggest staying away from lead bullets unless you are committed to keeping chamber and barrel clean or consider a conventionally rifled barrel. You might search "reloading forum" for many threads on lead in Glock barrels.

If buldging becomes a problem and you shoot a lot look at Case Pro http://www.casepro100.com/ This works very well. I had one for years before push thru dies.

Or for a less expensive alternative look at

http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pi...ase-Sizing-Die

Reports say this works well. Check Brian Enos forums.
NRA Life,USPSA Life,IDPA Member
ipscshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 14:12   #7
Dogue
Trouble Maker

Just make sure your sizing die is getting all the way down to the shell plate and don't try to load .40 to run .357 SIG speeds and you should be fine.

I do run some random rounds through a Wilson Case Gauge, which I admittedly don't do with other pistol calibers. The case gauge is tighter than a Glock chamber and will/would identify a bulge in your rounds pretty easily.
FL Glocker #556
GSSF Member

Last edited by Dogue; 01-22-2012 at 14:12..
Dogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 17:42   #8
Steve Koski
Got Insurance?

Just don't reload. It's for godless heathen types.
Old 01-22-2012, 22:05   #9
ron59
Bustin Caps

The Glock "bulge" is from the old days, the early versions of the .40s.

It's not the problem it once was. Lots of people reload .40, go ahead.

Quote:
WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 00:29   #10
leadontarget

I just started in the reloading realm myself. I did notice the bulge in the cases, and this is from my 23 GEN 4. I ran them through my lee 4 die set and they are now in perfect shape. In my very humble and novice opinion, I will stick to starting loads and make sure to run them through the factory crimp die to ensure that they are in spec. Also, I think the only issue with the bulging would be excessive case wear, which would only reduce the life of the case.
leadontarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 13:54   #11
Ripro
Ripro

Thanks for your comments except "It's for godless heathen types." heathen maybe, godless no. I will prob get a case gauge until I get a little more experience. thanks again.
Ripro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 13:58   #12
shotgunred
reloading nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripro View Post
Thanks for your comments except "It's for godless heathen types." heathen maybe, godless no. I will prob get a case gauge until I get a little more experience. thanks again.
The best case gauge you can use is your barrel. Take it out of your gun. Then use it as a case gauge and make sure that the cartridges fall in and out of your chamber without force.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 14:29   #13
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunred View Post
The best case gauge you can use is your barrel. Take it out of your gun. Then use it as a case gauge and make sure that the cartridges fall in and out of your chamber without force.
And make sure the base of the cartridge doesn't extend beyond the hood of the barrel. This isn't all that likely unless the bullet hits the rifling but it can still happen. While you're looking at the base, check that the primer is below the surface.

Also, make sure the round will fit in the magazine and will run up the feed ramp.

Richard
Old 01-23-2012, 14:35   #14
dkf

If you want to remove the small bulge you could pick up a Lee Bulge buster kit. The bulge buster kit uses the factory crimp die which you already have in your current Lee 4 die set. So for under $20 you can get the kit to remove the bulge. There really isn't any need to use the FCD anyway unless you prefer to crimp seperatly.

I noticed that the .40 Glock barrels I have have a looser chamber than the .357sig Glock barrels. The feed ramp is also cut out more on the .40. I still get a small "smiley" with either barrel but it is just more pronounced on the .40 do to the looser barrel.

Last edited by dkf; 01-23-2012 at 14:36..
dkf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 14:44   #15
rpgman
SCGLOCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripro View Post
Hey all,

I have read a lot about the bulge that can occur when you fire ammo through a Glock barrel. I have just started reloading and have all the ingredients together to start making ammo, but I still have that (what if the brass is bulged) idea in the back of my head. I bought the Lee deluxe 4 die set, so am I safe to say that if I run my brass through the carbide sizing die/decapper that the die will get rid of a bulge that I did not notice before I put the brass in there? I have so many other questions about reloading but I need to get to the bottom of this first for a little piece of mind that I don't blow my brand new Glock 27-G4 up, or worse blow my hand to smithereens.

Thank you,
Dan
I re-load for my G27 Gen4 on my Dillon xl650 and on my Lyman T-Mag II Turret press and have never had an issue loading .40.
Greg
rpgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 14:57   #16
OrGlocker

Bulge cases are from Gen 2 barrels. If you have a Gen 3 or 4 your fine just remember to full lenght resize and you'll be just fine. may I suggest that you follow your manufacture instructions on setting up your re-sizing die.
OrGlocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 15:02   #17
unclebob

I just wonder how we ever loaded 10 of thousands of 40s&w rounds without a bulge buster or G-rx. Before there was any of those. And somehow never managed to blow up a gun, feeding problems and also using range pickup brass that where even shot out of a Glock. Yes there was some that had a nice bulge in the brass. If I remember right they were Federal brass. Those just went into the trash. I dont shoot 40s&w anymore but I still pick up the brass and I dont think I have seen any bulged brass in quite a few years now.
With people out there that hates Glocks. I dont think the Glock bulge myth will ever go away. Even with the newer Glocks that have a better supported chamber, and ammo companies making better brass.
GSSF Life Member
Old 01-23-2012, 15:42   #18
Murphy's Law

We could get into the subject of "supported" and "non-supported" barrels but not worth the aggravation it would bring. Need-less-to-say, you're just fine and 9 times out of 10 (even if you do come across a piece of brass with the bulge) your case gage or pistole barrel will detect it immediately as it will not seat the reload. Seldom do I come across one with a bulge and I do like someone earlier mentioned "CHUCK IT OUT". This coupled with safe loading practices and recipes and you'll be just fine. Enjoy
Old 01-23-2012, 18:07   #19
TriggerFinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron59 View Post
The Glock "bulge" is from the old days, the early versions of the .40s.
Does anyone know when the barrels were corrected? I want to check my serial number to see if mine's the "fixed" barrel or not.
TriggerFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:26   #20
FLSlim

Around 1% of the brass I reload doesn't drop into my case gauge without pressure (but drops in the barrel fine). I run these cases through the Redding GRx (although it probably isn't really necessary). I shoot through a stock G23, gen 3, although I imagine some of the brass I reload is range pickup that probably came from some other gun.

I think that by Gen 3, any possible problems were "fixed." Go up to the "valuable info" area of GT to check dates. But like others posted, I reload brass until lost or split.
Florida Glockers Club #1040
Big Dogs Club #1592
FLSlim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glock reloading, reloading .40 s&w