Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-19-2012, 17:44   #1
WiskyT
Malcontent

Cats?

Hi all,

I'm not much of a hunter, I've had the safety training and bought a few licenses years ago and dabbled in it. I have an ethics question. I live in a subdivision and there is a constant parade of cats through my yard. I just got a terrier mix from a shelter and he is constantly trying to kill them. He is always on leash in the yard (unfenced), but instead of doing his business, he is constantly searching for the cats. Sometimes I have to make some noise with the door etc to get a cat to leave the yard before I can take him out, because if he sees them, he will bolt full force against his slip collar to the point that he will choke out if I don't pick him up off the ground. If my daughter were to take him out, there is no doubt she wouldn't be able to hold the leash if he got sight of a cat. These cats a re a major PITA.

So, is it eithical to elimintate these cats? Safety isn't an issue since there is a berm and then pasture behind the house. Low shots, backed up by the berm, with CB caps would definately handle the situation in a safe manner. I'm not concerned about any penalties because no one would know.

I know that some states basically enourage people to shoot cats on sight. So I'm thinking that shooting these things would save me some trouble, keep my dog safe, and would help the natural balance. From a wildlife perspective, would it be helpful to shoot these things, or would it be "poaching" and lead to an increase in other undesirable animals?

Thanks in advance for any help with this issue.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 18:22   #2
TX expat

I had to get a cat specifically to do some hunting and keep the mice population down, so I don't know if I'd go shooting them myself.

We have feral cat rescue groups that will come trap and relocate unwanted cats, so that might be an option for you as well.
TX expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 18:45   #3
Gunshine

Animal control may be able to help you but I wouldn't shoot them. If you are shooting at cats within a city limit that may be illegal. Additionally you live in a subdivision and those cats belong to your neighbors? Even if they are feral you could be causing yourself bigger problems. And shooting cats will doubtless raise the ire of GT cat lovers. Myself included.

Try animal control and if that fails consider buying a trap. Once caught try to find a no kill shelter. You might also consider a fence or going out with the dog on a leash.

Quote: Ancient_Serpent. Being kind, polite or having class isn't PC.
Gunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 18:54   #4
Free Radical
CLM Number 259
Miembro Antiguo

This is a good argument for low powered (nonlethal) air rifles.
Free Radical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 19:08   #5
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunshine View Post
Animal control may be able to help you but I wouldn't shoot them. If you are shooting at cats within a city limit that may be illegal. Additionally you live in a subdivision and those cats belong to your neighbors? Even if they are feral you could be causing yourself bigger problems. And shooting cats will doubtless raise the ire of GT cat lovers. Myself included.

Try animal control and if that fails consider buying a trap. Once caught try to find a no kill shelter. You might also consider a fence or going out with the dog on a leash.
MY DOG is on a leash, it's in my post. What kind of fence should I spend thousands of dollars on that will keep a cat out?

I had a dog charge me in my back yard while I was taking out the trash. I retreated to my house because I could. I called out the Sheriff and the Deputy told me just shoot it next time becuase that's all they would do. Animal control will not come out for cats, the Sheriff's Dept is the animal control and they shoot dogs, it's their policy.

Old 01-19-2012, 19:12   #6
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Radical View Post
This is a good argument for low powered (nonlethal) air rifles.
Will a cat learn from that and avoid the area? I pepper sprayed a neghbor's dog once that came in my yard and snarled at my daughter, that dog still roamed the neighborhood but never came in my yard again. A 25 yard shot with a Red Ryder would be a luck shot, but I could wing it with a heavier air rifle. I'll try that first, thanks.

ETA: The dog I sprayed was in a different neighborhood and I knew it was a pet.

Last edited by WiskyT; 01-19-2012 at 19:13..
Old 01-19-2012, 19:30   #7
UrbanOps

Around here the city wouldn't do anything about the cats. They were breeding to beat the bands in a subdivision surrounded by pasture. They were getting under people's houses, dying under there but not before destroying wiring, insulation and other mechanicals. The cats were "vicious," chasing kids, fighting dogs, etc. Initially .22's were used to dispatch the cats. If a bad shot was made they would run out into the field and "cry" until they died. Trying to be as humane as possible, the lethal force was stepped up to .243wssm. There were so many that a game was played to see how many cats would be killed with a single shot. After a few months, the problem subsided and the problem no longer exists.

I will add that there is a berm completely around this subdivision which was an ample backstop. The subdivision was somehow in the city limits but just beyond the property lines was county. Oh, and if you were wondering how many cats with one shot, 3. Sadly it wasn't hard to find them "fooling around" to make that shot.
NRA and GSSF Member

Last edited by UrbanOps; 01-19-2012 at 19:37..
UrbanOps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 19:35   #8
Gunshine

I thought you may have left the dog tied out. My yard is fenced and the neighborhood cats avoid it knowing that the dog may be out. Pet stores also sell repellents although I don't know how effective they are.

Quote: Ancient_Serpent. Being kind, polite or having class isn't PC.
Gunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 19:38   #9
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

I would start with animal control.

My guess is that you should end up with a live trap and start taking them to a shelter.

If you shoot them....well most states would call it a crime.
Old 01-19-2012, 20:03   #10
UrbanOps

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post

If you shoot them....well most states would call it a crime.
Not necessarily.
NRA and GSSF Member
UrbanOps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:20   #11
Timkid

Sling shot have the same problem with dogs at my house when my inside dogs go into heat
You will need to find something light I use pee gravel but might be to much for a cat
Timkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:28   #12
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanOps View Post
Not necessarily.
I said most states.
There are exceptions to the rule.

I friend was told to shoot someone's dog the next time they see it by animal control and the local sheriff. Normally shooting someone's pet is a crime, but in this case it was a civic duty. BTW, Yes, the dog had a collar, but it was a problem and animal control had had enough with the dog and owner.

There are exceptions, but it is harder to prove a cat is a dangerous threat.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:33   #13
BierGut

I usually don't have any issues with people thinning out undesirable creatures and I suppose feral cats are no different -- if they are feral. However, given you live in a neighborhood, I cannot see how you'll be realistically able to shoot cats.

If you were on your own farm outside town we're not having this thread, right?

Paintball gun? I gotta say -- even that will piss off the type of people who tend to live subdivisions.

IMHO, and answering your original question.... no, it is not cool to shoot the cats in a town neighborhood or subdivision.
Safari Club International

BierGut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 13:39   #14
Esox357

Cats can be good around the house to eliminate rodents such as mice and such. If the cats are feral and killing game birds and doing damage to your property then go ahead and shoot them.

My uncle had a bunch of feral cats that would use his new vehicle for warmth they would jump on the hood and scratch the paint and defecate on and around his vehicle. I ended up having to shoot a couple for him.

Last year while deer hunting on private property a wild dog was chasing deer had I had a shot on it I would have put him down as well.
Old 01-20-2012, 18:00   #15
WiskyT
Malcontent

Thanks for the opinions folks. I have asked the same question of local sportsmen I know and all of them told me SSS.

Old 01-20-2012, 20:57   #16
ctaggart

This would probably work really well for you.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:48   #17
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

If I lived in a Subdivision I would not go around shooting anything. Too much that can go wrong even if you make a perfect shot. Forget the fact that the neighbors report you, the cops come, etc etc.

On my farm all cats I don't know die.

If I lived in a subdivision and had problems with people letting cats run loose I'd be on the phone with animal control until they all got picked up.

You cat people who let your animals outside to run the neighborhood deserve to loose you pets.

Cats...the other white meat!

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:56   #18
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
If I lived in a Subdivision I would not go around shooting anything. Too much that can go wrong even if you make a perfect shot. Forget the fact that the neighbors report you, the cops come, etc etc.

On my farm all cats I don't know die.

If I lived in a subdivision and had problems with people letting cats run loose I'd be on the phone with animal control until they all got picked up.

You cat people who let your animals outside to run the neighborhood deserve to loose you pets.

Cats...the other white meat!
There a berm, power lines, and a large pasture directly behind my house. The cats are awlays at the bottom of the berm, which is covered with some type of brush to prevent erosion.

Old 01-21-2012, 15:35   #19
Esox357

Use Aguila ammo colibri and shoot with 20-30 yards should take all nine lives. Otherwise you can always use tuna and antifreeze? Just make sure your dog and any other pets are clear.
Old 01-21-2012, 15:39   #20
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox357 View Post
Use Aguila ammo colibri and shoot with 20-30 yards should take all nine lives. Otherwise you can always use tuna and antifreeze? Just make sure your dog and any other pets are clear.
I get terrible groups with the Colibris as they start to tumble at that range. CB caps still shoot decent groups at that range and aren't much louder.

I won't poison them, although I know it works. My buddy did that for some skunks and the whole neighborhood was littered with dead animals.