Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-22-2012, 18:41   #1
arnettjd10

Polishing barrel and chamber?

For Christmas i am getting a Kahr PM9. i know the small automatic pistols can be picky about ammo and are somewhat high maintenance compared to a glock. i was thinking about polishing the whole barrel and chamber as well as the feed ramp. this should make less friction between the barrel and other moving parts such as the top of the slide. But i was wondering if this would make the gun more vulnerable to rust? Ive polished a few feedramps and im satisfied with the slick finish it leaves but ive never polished anything else. Thanks!
arnettjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 20:01   #2
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnettjd10 View Post
For Christmas i am getting a Kahr PM9. i know the small automatic pistols can be picky about ammo and are somewhat high maintenance compared to a glock. i was thinking about polishing the whole barrel and chamber as well as the feed ramp. this should make less friction between the barrel and other moving parts such as the top of the slide. But i was wondering if this would make the gun more vulnerable to rust? Ive polished a few feedramps and im satisfied with the slick finish it leaves but ive never polished anything else. Thanks!
I've had a PM9 for 6 or 7 years and it feeds and fires everything I throw at it; 115gr, 124, 147, FMJ and JHP. It is completely unmodified from stock.

I suggest taking it out and shooting it with the different ammunition you may use and find out for yourself. Kahr used to suggest a 200 round + break-in; don't know if that's still true. Mine never needed it - worked out of the box.
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:05   #3
g29cc
Custom Work

Becareful if yours going to polish the entire barrel. You can round out edges and lose tolerance if your not careful.

I ve been polishing parts for over 20 + years and can say that gun parts look awesome when polished, but great care has to be taken to not ruin them!

Gunsmithing

If you need some help let me know.

Todd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

CNC machining, Polishing ,ATF legal Laser Engraving, Ceramic refinishing, custom builds, FFL Licensed Certified Armorer 586.232.3422

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
g29cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:50   #4
cciman

The PM9 slide and barrel are SS. Unless you have a problem looking for a solution, I would not do anything to it until 500 rounds have been through the gun.

It will self polish where it needs to by simply suffering through the first 500 rounds, then it becomes amazingly better. Leave it alone, is my advice. The revolver style DA trigger pull is amazingly smooth, and better than most revolvers, but takes some getting used to.

The gun is not a smooth action piece, when cycling by hand, but shoots fine. There is a square cut edge at the top of the barrel chamber that must ride under the slide on action. It may bother you but it works fine, even if you leave it alone.
cciman is offline   Reply With Quote