Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:55   #21
gofastman

Quote:
Btw isn't the SAAMI max pressure for the 10mm 37500 psi? If I'm missing something help me out here; I'm interested.
no, a common misconseption, although with the "magnumitus" the '10 brings about it may be better to keep it that way

37,500PSI is the '10's Maximum Average Pressure,

The Maximum Probable Sample(or Lot) Mean (MPSM) goes up to 40,400 (please dont push this hard)
This means that no round in a 10 shot string should exceed this pressure, this is for all practical purposes the maximum pressure number.

Finally an absolute maximum of 44,000psi (DANGER, DANGER!!!)

to the best of my knowlege these numbers are correct, you should check for yourself

I "heard" that Glock proofs their 10mm barrels to 70,000PSI, but that may be compleatly untrue,
also, it certainly doesn't mean you can run a load that hot without some other part catastrophically failing.

Last edited by gofastman; 02-08-2012 at 13:02..
gofastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:00   #22
preventec47

All of my experience is in reloading rifles where there is a distinct philosophy
of slower powders for heavier bullets along with some other factors like
bore to case volume ratios etc.
I cannot figure out why or how you guys want to use significantly faster
powders in 10mm when jumping up to the heavier 200 gr bullets.
Look at the Accurate Arms load data and follow the powder loads
of their #2, #5, #7, and #9 from the light to the heavy bullets
and you will see the trend I am talking about.
If some of these loads are not filling the case to close to 100 percent,
isnt that telling you something about the non optimum nature of
the loads you are using ?

Last edited by preventec47; 02-09-2012 at 11:36..
preventec47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:28   #23
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofastman View Post
no, a common misconseption, although with the "magnumitus" the '10 brings about it may be better to keep it that way

37,500PSI is the '10's Maximum Average Pressure,

The Maximum Probable Sample(or Lot) Mean (MPSM) goes up to 40,400 (please dont push this hard)
This means that no round in a 10 shot string should exceed this pressure, this is for all practical purposes the maximum pressure number.

Finally an absolute maximum of 44,000psi (DANGER, DANGER!!!)

to the best of my knowlege these numbers are correct, you should check for yourself

I "heard" that Glock proofs their 10mm barrels to 70,000PSI, but that may be compleatly untrue,
also, it certainly doesn't mean you can run a load that hot without some other part catastrophically failing.
Not sure what or where you obtained your numbers from...SAAMI pub. 205 has the data laid out as it refers to actual ammo test and proof cartridge pressure testing. If your interested in the facts please click the link below to view the PDF from the web, this is the accurate information.

http://www.saami.org/specifications_...wnload/205.pdf

Last edited by _The_Shadow; 02-09-2012 at 11:29..
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:44   #24
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Shadow View Post
I wish I had some of SwampFox ammo at that 1325 fps to verify.
Shadow,

As you probably noticed in our thread over on 10mmtalk, I have a few of the "Swampfox 200gr XTP @ 1325 fps" on their way to me now for dissection. I will post the results when I have them. I'm looking forward to this one....
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:43   #25
G29SF

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrecisionRifleman View Post
10gr of longshot with a 200gr XTP. LOL I'm waiting for the post where you are typing with one hand telling us about how you pushed 10.5-11gr's and flew your fingers off. Hornady book states max charge for the 200XTP and longshot at 7.3 grains. Now I'm sure you can push over that, but up to 10 grains?!?! Why? What are you getting out of pushing them that far past max? Anything other than risking blowing up your gun? When you become that obsessed with trying to get more power out the 10mm why don't you just step up to a 41 magnum or a 44 magnum? Is the risk really worth seeing numbers on a chronograph? There is no purpose in pushing them that fast honestly. I came to that conclusion after I dropped a doe the doe using the load in my previous post with the 6" barrel. If that load had that kind of performance on a deer I have to ask what your goal is?
I shot A LOT of Swamp Fox's nuclear 200gr XTP loads. His recipe was 10gr of Longshot. Velocity was 1325 fps.

I did not verify any of this, however I believe others have.

I shot them through my KKM barrel and had no signs of overpressure. Nothing at all.

VERY nice loads. I loved shooting them.

I am very close to buying a reloader so I can customize my own loads.
G32 Gen4
G29SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 19:21   #26
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickE10mm View Post
Shadow,

As you probably noticed in our thread over on 10mmtalk, I have a few of the "Swampfox 200gr XTP @ 1325 fps" on their way to me now for dissection. I will post the results when I have them. I'm looking forward to this one....
Sounds great Nick, Looking forward to what you find out. I suspect it is the 10.0 grains of LongShot as he mentioned, but after having tested the 9.4 grain load I was pretty happy with that one at the 1250 fps range.

I just got back for an outing to do a little shooting this evening, tested the S&W 1086 I just picked up for feed and function...as usual it was 100% with several different loads. I also had a 22LR that I bought but never sighted in the new scope for it, its real close now @ 60yards on a 2" spinner target.

I did get to shoot some of the 10mm small pistol primered casings with my cast bullets 175 gr Lyman TCBB's and 156 gr Lyman Devastator HP's over 10.4 grains of Blue Dot and they were great shooters. Can't wait to go again!
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote