SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:03   #101
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakanokalronin View Post
Well my aunt had a SP101 that is quite heavy (26oz) compared to the Walther (19.4oz) so I don't think it was the weight. The fact that the slide of a semi-auto absorbs some of the recoil is why most can shoot a semi-auto easier and more quickly while staying on target. With a revolver, all of the force is directed back into the frame. This may not be the case for everyone, but it was for my aunt.

I have semi wadcutters in .38spl. and no matter how low recoiling of a load, I can still shoot my sub-compact 45acp guns (even with +P 230gr. ammo) quicker and more accurately.

Like I said, most people perceive guns in a different way. The .380 is a lighter recoiling round, but is plenty for defense. My SP101 sees very limited use by accompanying me on bike trips, otherwise it's a semi-auto 99% of the time.

I like revolvers but usually prefer the bigger frames like my GP100 or Redhawk. I see advantages to semi-autos like faster reloads, less recoil, quicker follow up shots and a slimmer profile. Many would not agree with me and that's fine since what works for me may not work for them. Considering we're all individuals with different tastes and wants, it shouldn't really be any different when choosing a firearm for recreation or defense.
I suggest 148gr wadcutters as the first type of round shot by the newbbie through a 38 snubbie. They are lower recoil than any other load. Doesn't matter the brand, but they have to be that load.

I too can shoot a semi-auto more accurately (generally), no argument there

Also, you can get different grips, bigger, longer, to make a snubbie have less felt recoil, if you want to.

Switching to a semi-auto is fine. Whatever works and is reliable and the shooter likes for his or her purposes. No argument there either

I just don't agree with those who would suggest that no woman consider a snubbie for a carry gun. Snubbies are great guns and should be considered along with the semi-autos. They may not be picked always, but sometimes they are the perfect solution and fit.

Last edited by ithaca_deerslayer; 01-15-2012 at 12:04..
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:09   #102
Usmcfox

Is there something wrong with hand loads for sd? I use hand load gdhp 180s in my g20.
Usmcfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:16   #103
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usmcfox View Post
Is there something wrong with hand loads for sd? I use hand load gdhp 180s in my g20.
Short answer is this - yes, there is. Not from a performance or reliability aspect, but from a liability aspect when you actually shoot someone with it.

I would suggest posting this question in the Go Ask the Experts - Self Defense section. Mas Ayoob will give you a much better answer than most anyone else on GT can. He will also explain the liability issues you would face using hand loads for SD.
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:22   #104
ddss33

Quote:
Originally Posted by relayman View Post
I have a CM9 . Very concealable . Completely reliable . Great gun .
+1 I have been 100% happy with my CM9. Easy to handle and really easy to slip into a pocket or purse.
ddss33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:42   #105
4 glocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usmcfox View Post
Like WP said people think if you ever were in a SD shooting and had to go to court the lawyers would make a big deal about reloading your own ammo.
Like you were looking for a fight. I would use quality factory SD ammo like Gold dot or CD.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:46   #106
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 glocks View Post
Like WP said people think if you ever were in a SD shooting and had to go to court the lawyers would make a big deal about reloading your own ammo.
Like you were looking for a fight. I would use quality factory SD ammo like Gold dot or CD.
Yep. doesn't matter how true it is, it matters how much the jury buys the BS the prosecutor is slinging to make you look bad. It does happen, and I believe Mas has documented cases of it happening.

Like I said, either search previous posts in the GATE Self Defense forum for posts on hand loads for SD, or post a new thread to ask. Mas has addressed the issue several times over.
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 17:14   #107
shockglock

Congrats! As long as she likes it and feels good to her is all that matters.
shockglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 17:20   #108
Usmcfox

Just ordered glaser safety slugs thanks for the advice.
Usmcfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 17:27   #109
Veedubklown

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
I cannot understand why anyone suggests sunbbys for new shooters/CCWers, when there are so many better autos out there. If we want more people to get into shooting, they need to have better suggestions from experienced shooters. They can't go to the range the first time with their new snubby they bought on some idiot's suggestion, and find the experience horrible. The experience will turn them off to shooting, and they won't continue shooting and recruiting more people into shooting.

For Christ's sake, can we please stop suggesting awful firearms to new shooters?
Revolvers are always a great solution for new shooters, reguardless of caliber. She already shoots a full sized 10mm without issue, I think a snubby chambered in .357 isn't going to bother her. The great part about a .357, you can still shoot .38 from it. So, she can practice with it cheaper, and if .38 is easy for her to handle, she can try .357. It has versiatility and adaptability in 1 gun, that can grow with her.

My girlfriend always prefered autos, but we already had a .38 snub when I bought her an SR9c. She should definately handle and shoot both. I put over a dozen guns in my GF's hand before she settled on the SR9c.
Old 01-15-2012, 21:46   #110
Never Nervous

[QUOTE=M&P15T;18429642]I apologise for calling (collectively) males idiots when discussing firearms needs for women, but it's the truth.

NN

Last edited by Never Nervous; 01-15-2012 at 21:47..
Never Nervous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:21   #111
M&P15T
Beard One

[quote=Never Nervous;18437943]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
I apologise for calling (collectively) males idiots when discussing firearms needs for women, but it's the truth.

NN
Yes??
Old 06-02-2012, 16:06   #112
"Cold Dead Hands" !

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
Here's my thoughts as to why a revolver like a j-frame is a great purse gun.
A woman can actually fire it from inside a pruse, and get off more than one shot.
Doubt this would be possible with a semi auto like the G26.

Now, I will agree, for "on body" carry there are other choices. Also,
a .357 Mag j-frame would not be a recommendation of mine for most
women. .38 Special,....yes, very capable caliber for defense.
What if she doesn't have time to stick it in the purse before firing ?
"Cold Dead Hands" ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 16:29   #113
shadow_dog
Hilljack

I had been looking for a small thin 9mm auto for ccw. I settled on a KelTec PF9. Yeah I know let the flaming begin. Anyway, I figured having good luck with my P40 and P32, why not give the PF9 a try. I got it home and done all the fluff and buff normally associated with the KelTecs and loctited the extractor screw.

Wife and I took it to the range. I have been trying to get her to pick out a ccw pistol for her purse. She fell in love with the PF9. It is her purse ccw pistol now. I had to go back to the LGS and buy me another one to replace the one she took from me.

Last edited by shadow_dog; 06-02-2012 at 16:31..
shadow_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 17:28   #114
BobCZ

I believe that one should NOT make a choice of CC for a new shooter. But rather do what I am doing. New GF wants to learn to shoot, zero experience. I agree to work with her if she does several things.

1. Pass a written test, all the basic information on safety and nomeclature. (done)
2. Commit to be a shooter and not just a gun owner. (in progress)
3. In conjunction to #2 train (in progress)
4. Practical experience on different handguns, J frame, Glock 19 17 & 26, CZ 75b, 1911, Sig, 686, Smith body guard .380.
5. Read and learn on the subject matter. The website www.corneredcat.com is a great site for women shooters.

I don't see any reason why a smart woman with mutiple degrees that works in critical situations in healthcare needs me to "pick out" a gun for her. She is more than capable of making that decision based upon her growing knowledge and experience.

I am not even going to go with her when she buys her first pistol.

If she would go buy tomorrow, she has said it would be a Glock 19. I was suprised by this, thought she would favor the 26 at 5'3" 110 lbs.
(BTW she has not had one misfire while I shot with her so no LW)
BobCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 17:51   #115
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

The OP says "A purse gun".

You can fire a 642 SA & W while it is still in the purse, 5 times.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 18:05   #116
Jade Falcon
49er Loyal

Let her go to the range, or gunshop, and handle a bunch of guns until she finds the one she likes, that fits her hand and shooting grasp well. As much as you try to offer her guns, the fact of the matter is, she may end up with one that recoils too much. For example: can she handle the sting and recoil of a J-frame with full-house loads? If not, she's going to have a hell of a time defending herself when the SHTF.

Tags
10mm, concealed carry, glock, ruger, taurus