Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-09-2012, 17:57   #1
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
New toys incoming!

I splurged over the weekend and ordered a few AWESOME goodies...

1) a Lee Classic Cast Turret press to replace my (now for sale) Deluxe Turret
2) a Wolff 20lb uncaptured spring/rod combo for my G20SF

...the kicker...

3) a semi drop-in, stock length BarSto barrel for my G20SF. These typically require filing both the horizontal and vertical hood dimensions to fit the slide. This is just what I wanted. This will not be my first minor gunsmith projects using a file and emery paper.

4) a TT Gunleather slim IWB for my G20SF for CCW

CAN'T WAIT to be able to start shooting the same loads I shoot in my Fusion, in the Glock (nuclear and lead/cast)!!

That's all... just had to vent.
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 18:40   #2
OregonG20

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickE10mm View Post
I splurged over the weekend and ordered a few AWESOME goodies...

1) a Lee Classic Cast Turret press to replace my (now for sale) Deluxe Turret
2) a Wolff 20lb uncaptured spring/rod combo for my G20SF

...the kicker...

3) a semi drop-in, stock length BarSto barrel for my G20SF. These typically require filing both the horizontal and vertical hood dimensions to fit the slide. This is just what I wanted. This will not be my first minor gunsmith projects using a file and emery paper.

4) a TT Gunleather slim IWB for my G20SF for CCW

CAN'T WAIT to be able to start shooting the same loads I shoot in my Fusion, in the Glock (nuclear and lead/cast)!!

That's all... just had to vent.
I have that same press. Love it. Crank 'em out quick with that one.

Good shootin!

-Berto
OregonG20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 20:19   #3
blastfact

You will like the new press.

Let us know how the barrel works out.
blastfact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 20:45   #4
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

Nick about your Bar-Sto barrel fitting, I found an oil stone to be of use when fitting my Bar-Sto barrels for my S&W1006...working squarely and slowly. Good luck!
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 21:07   #5
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
About the new press... I am upgrading from the Deluxe Turret to the Classic Turret due to a few issues I've had specifically with the DESIGN of the Deluxe model that have been directly addressed in the design of the newer Classic model). It's slowly been driving me crazy for the last year or so and I finally snapped and ordered the solution. Ahhhh!!!

As for the barrel fitting Shadow, I've not only got a few ceramic and diamond stones (square AND triangles) but I've also got a set of high quality gunsmith files. Should be a fun evening project. I'm expecting the Barsto TODAY (god, I love MidwayUSA) and my new press and recoil spring setup tomorrow so I'll definitely be shooting this weekend. Whoopieee!!! (I won't have my holster for another several weeks...boooooo)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?

Last edited by nickE10mm; 01-10-2012 at 07:16..
Old 01-10-2012, 07:32   #6
arushus
Biggest Member

Congrats brother! Let us kmow how it goes! I nearly went with a 20lb spring myself, but opted for the 22lb. instead. Im really glad I did, and I actually wish Id gotten the 24lb now. Turns out that since my slide runs really smooth on my frame, so that there is almost zero resistance there. Even with the heavy recoil spring, my hotter underwood ammo and others still goes 20-25 feet. Im gonna get a 24lb soon...
Spike's Tactical Enhanced CHF 16" Mid-Length M4
These Red Letters Help me find my post!!!

Last edited by arushus; 01-10-2012 at 07:33..
arushus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 18:33   #7
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

UPDATE:

Got my semi-drop-in Barsto barrel today.... WOOHOO!! When I first tried to drop in the barrel it wouldn't clear the ejection port. After talking with the friendly people at Barsto, I slowly reduced the length of the chamber section of the barrel by taking very small and deliberate strokes with a small square file until the barrel would press into the chamber opening with force.... then a few more to finally get it to slide in a bit easier... and one more stroke to get it to latch in, smooth as butter. I'm gonna shoot it before I do any more of ANYTHING, including polishing or the like. If polishing is necessary, I'll do it after my first range trip. I DID hand cycle a full mag of my multiple fired reloads and everything cycled perfectly and smoothly. Ejection was consistent, as well. If this barrel is anything like my prior 10mm Barsto, it will feed flawlessly every time.

I also took a few measurements of the stock chamber and Barsto. The stock barrel measures .434-.435" diameter. The Barsto measures .426-.427" with EXCELLENT case web support. My Fusion barrel also measures .426-.427" ALSO with AMAZING case support.

I'm a happy camper. Barsto still makes a damn fine product... no surprise.

Pics:
The 10 Ring
The 10 Ring
The 10 Ring
The 10 Ring

Why do I carry a 10mm?
Old 01-10-2012, 19:26   #8
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

Looking great, somebody had some fun...Good job!
The ones for my S&W's required some work in two areas, Barrel hood length and the under lug area where it rides over the slide stop pin.
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 19:49   #9
bac1023

Congrats

bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 20:51   #10
blastfact

A proper barrel really does look good doesn't it. Wish I could order Glocks without barrels. I might own more than one.

That Classic Turret will be showing you love the Deluxe can't real soon. It will be like night and day for you.

Last edited by blastfact; 01-10-2012 at 20:52..
blastfact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:53   #11
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Shadow View Post
Looking great, somebody had some fun...Good job!
The ones for my S&W's required some work in two areas, Barrel hood length and the under lug area where it rides over the slide stop pin.
Thanks....

Yea, I remember reading about how S&W and 1911 Barsto's have a few additional places you can have to fit occasionally. Glock barrel is pretty simple, at least with mine it was.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
Old 01-11-2012, 07:54   #12
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfact View Post
A proper barrel really does look good doesn't it. Wish I could order Glocks without barrels. I might own more than one.

That Classic Turret will be showing you love the Deluxe can't real soon. It will be like night and day for you.
Yes, it does look quite nice.

The Classic is on the truck for delivery today. WOOHOO! Can't wait to mount it up and make myself about 100 round to break 'er in.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
Old 01-11-2012, 21:04   #13
THE PUNISHER

Congrats!
Old 01-12-2012, 08:25   #14
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

My new press is mounted.... working extremely well, I might add!

The 10 Ring
The 10 Ring

Why do I carry a 10mm?
Old 01-13-2012, 00:17   #15
Ethereal Killer

you are gonna want extra turret heads for that press. I bought three and now I want more. it is a pretty good press.
Ethereal Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:08   #16
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal Killer View Post
you are gonna want extra turret heads for that press. I bought three and now I want more. it is a pretty good press.
All I load is 10mm SO FAR. I will get more heads as I expand my operation.

Btw, this press is NIGHT AND DAY better than the deluxe turret. WOW! The smoothness really makes loading faster and easier. No more guiding a rickety ram up into the sizer/decapping die. No more picking up primers from the floor. No more calling Lee for replacement primer arms (my biggest design complaint from the deluxe).

I'm in reloading paradise, truly. Now I just need some time to crank out some ammo. Hopefully this weekend. Possible range trip Sunday, too.

Why do I carry a 10mm?

Last edited by nickE10mm; 01-13-2012 at 05:09..
Old 01-13-2012, 07:39   #17
arushus
Biggest Member

Is it really nice? Im having SOOO much trouble deciding which press or press kit I want. I go back and forth between the pro 100, deluxe turret, classic turret, handheld press, and just the simple single stage....I keep weighing the pros and cons of all, and I keep coming out dead even. I really just need somebody to tell me to buy this press or this kit and be done with it! haha
Old 01-13-2012, 07:50   #18
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arushus View Post
Is it really nice? Im having SOOO much trouble deciding which press or press kit I want. I go back and forth between the pro 100, deluxe turret, classic turret, handheld press, and just the simple single stage....I keep weighing the pros and cons of all, and I keep coming out dead even. I really just need somebody to tell me to buy this press or this kit and be done with it! haha
I wouldn't mess with the Pro 1000 or Loadmaster, honestly. Not necessary and it would cost you more, obviously... and from what I hear, not quite as precise. I bought the Deluxe Kit a year ago and have since replaced the included basic powder measure AND scale (as well as COUNTLESS DAMAGED PRIMER ARMS that nearly made me go crazy with frustration) for the Pro powder measure, RCBS 505 scale.... and NOW, I've even replaced the whole press with the Classic! Lee makes great stuff, but they have a cheap version of equipment and a "nicer" line of equipment. The cheaper equipment isn't worth the frustration, IMHO... but the Classic Cast is an absolute smooth, strong and absolutely STELLAR press!! Had I known this (and known what it really MEANT for me as a reloader) I would have skipped the Deluxe kit altogether and gotten the Classic kit (4-Hole Turret) and the RCBS 505 scale in the beginning. (I also even bought a Lee hand press but returned it before I used it after having used my bench mounted press and realizing that, in an EOTWAWKI situation where I actually NEEDED a hand press, it would be too late already LOL)

My suggestion to you would be to walk....no- RUN.... out and get a Classic Cast turret press kit.... and a good scale. It will save you miles of frustration and will last your entire life. I mean that.

Go forth, young padawan

Why do I carry a 10mm?

Last edited by nickE10mm; 01-13-2012 at 07:51..
Old 01-13-2012, 08:37   #19
Beanie-Bean

Thanks for the report--I looked at the Bar Sto products before, but shied away after seeing that it may have to be "professionally" fitted by a gunsmith. Good to know that their stuff can be fitted at home.

Beanie-Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:41   #20
arushus
Biggest Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickE10mm View Post
I wouldn't mess with the Pro 1000 or Loadmaster, honestly. Not necessary and it would cost you more, obviously... and from what I hear, not quite as precise. I bought the Deluxe Kit a year ago and have since replaced the included basic powder measure AND scale (as well as COUNTLESS DAMAGED PRIMER ARMS that nearly made me go crazy with frustration) for the Pro powder measure, RCBS 505 scale.... and NOW, I've even replaced the whole press with the Classic! Lee makes great stuff, but they have a cheap version of equipment and a "nicer" line of equipment. The cheaper equipment isn't worth the frustration, IMHO... but the Classic Cast is an absolute smooth, strong and absolutely STELLAR press!! Had I known this (and known what it really MEANT for me as a reloader) I would have skipped the Deluxe kit altogether and gotten the Classic kit (4-Hole Turret) and the RCBS 505 scale in the beginning. (I also even bought a Lee hand press but returned it before I used it after having used my bench mounted press and realizing that, in an EOTWAWKI situation where I actually NEEDED a hand press, it would be too late already LOL)

My suggestion to you would be to walk....no- RUN.... out and get a Classic Cast turret press kit.... and a good scale. It will save you miles of frustration and will last your entire life. I mean that.

Go forth, young padawan

Haha, thankful for the advice I am! (yoda)

Ill start looking into a classic cast turret kit more closely. Got any ideas on where to order it from. Im thinking midway, or natchez...