SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-01-2012, 16:21   #1
redbaron007
Lifetime Membership
A Nice Prick!

What's the advantage between a G2 & G3 G20?

I have been pursuing a G20 for most the year, new or used. I have finally found a G2. They are asking $499; has virtually no wear marks the barrel and feeding ramp (serial # match),it has zero holster wear too.

My question is should I go after this G2 or stick to finding a G3? The price on this G2 is negotiable, just not sure how far.

All help is appreciated.

Thx!

red
TopGun *357sig* Club - #2632
The 10 Ring #00720

R.I.P. Cajunator® ~ R.I.P. Mullah (aka El Ron)
R.I.P. GioaJack ~ R.I.P. Okie
redbaron007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 16:43   #2
arushus
Biggest Member

Thats an awfully lot of money for a used Gen 2. I would buy a brand new Gen 3, They can be found for another $50...
Spike's Tactical Enhanced CHF 16" Mid-Length M4
These Red Letters Help me find my post!!!
arushus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 17:16   #3
redbaron007
Lifetime Membership
A Nice Prick!

It is their asking price. They have already come down off that price with no haggling. They would still need to come down some more before I would be serious.

red
The 10 Ring #00720

Old 01-02-2012, 05:35   #4
4949shooter

I would just be aware the chamber support in a Gen 2 might not be as supported as a Gen 3. This only matters if you want to shoot HOT loads through it though.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:14   #5
Beanie-Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by arushus View Post
Thats an awfully lot of money for a used Gen 2. I would buy a brand new Gen 3, They can be found for another $50...
I agree. If you can get that one between $350-$375, it may be a really good deal, however. Parts upgrades/replacements won't cost too much, either, if you're going to use stock parts.

Also consider that you may want to invest in an aftermarket barrel, such as a KKM or Lone Wolf, in the event that the Gen2 has the older design feed ramp/chamber. This will be important if you'll be running hot loads. If you're just using it for plinking, you should be just fine. Same goes for the recoil spring assembly.

Will this be for hunting? Or a woods gun? (I think that's what most people call them...I just use mine for fun, but this gun and caliber seem to be the preferred combination for warding off bears and other larger animals they may encounter in the woods.)

Beanie-Bean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:23   #6
Sean R

I have a gen 2 G20 and can tell you that either version is great. The newer ones are suppose to have tighter tolerances but I have modified mine with an aftermarket barrel. 499 is cutting it close since you can get a newer one for about 550. You should try to hold both a Gen 2 and 3 since the Gen 2 has more of that 1911 style and the 3 has the finger grooves which you may or may not like.
Depending on where you live it may or may not be a steal but I can tell you here in MA where new Glocks can't be sold by gunshops only private sales a Glock in great condition like that can go for 6-700 bucks easily

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Sean R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:01   #7
oceanbob

I would pass on that GEN2 unless you could get it for $375 or under. Another consideration are the mags; they probably don't have the newest followers installed. Also the stock barrel while being in new condition doesn't have the same chamber support as a newer GEN3.

The GEN2 Frames (G20 and G21) are the same internally however the grip on the GEN2 is more 'short frame' (no finger grooves) which is nice.

If you got the weapon for $375 you could afford to install an after-market barrel and still be in the game around $500. However, we must consider resale value; someday you will want to sell her and GEN2s just don't have the same value as GEN3s do.

I would spend $550 or whatever and get yourself a brand new Gen3 GLOCK 20SF. You will be glad you did.

Have a great New Year and welcome to the 10 Ring.!

Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron007 View Post
I have been pursuing a G20 for most the year, new or used. I have finally found a G2. They are asking $499; has virtually no wear marks the barrel and feeding ramp (serial # match),it has zero holster wear too.

My question is should I go after this G2 or stick to finding a G3? The price on this G2 is negotiable, just not sure how far.

All help is appreciated.

Thx!

red
oceanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:08   #8
Sean R

Here is a picture of my G20 with a few mods

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByOHubCampfire1325520423.322526.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	221706

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Sean R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 14:06   #9
redbaron007
Lifetime Membership
A Nice Prick!

Hey guys!

Thanks for all your input on this. The main purpose of the gun is to for the woods; hiking, camping or hunting. I will be shooting some hot loads, however, more than likely I will have the 6" Glock hunting barrel or purchase an after market. The original barrel that comes with it will mainly used for plunking. I do like the feel of the G2.

As for the used G3s; around here, there have been a few for sale, but they want almost new price. This is the second G2 I have found in my area in the last 15 months; the first one was the one I should have purchased, but greed got in the way! And I was a little hesitant because of the chambers for the G2s.

I'll keep ya'll posted.

Thx again for the input!

red
The 10 Ring #00720

Old 01-02-2012, 14:33   #10
blastfact

Thats way to much for a Gen 2. Even NIB with all paper work. Way over the top IMHO.

If you have a good LGS in your area have them order you a Gen 3 and be done with it. Be it a reg. G20 or a SF. If the LGS tells you they can't get one or they price it over $500 plus tax walk to the next.

LGS's in my area (Tulsa) sell 10mm Glocks, your choice of Model number between $499 and $535 plus tax. All are no haggle. I bought my G20 in OKC. Shop ordered it in for me from a distro in Texass. No money down,,, just my word I would stay in contact with them and pick it up. Shipping, Tax and all OTD for $492.00. They held it for two weeks until I could get over to the City inspect it and pick it up without issue. <<<<< that's a LGS worth doing business with IMHO.

The LGS's and pawn shops that work off the Davidson model of sales and support need to be avoided like a STD IMHO.

The Gen 2's can have some really crappy chambers. Some are so bad I wouldn't shoot a down loaded worthless .40 S&W 10mm round out of them. But I'm the guy that won't shoot a whore loose Glock chamber to begin with. And would prefer the guns be offered without a crap Glock Barrel on the option list.

Buy it right and shoot it a lot.

Last edited by blastfact; 01-02-2012 at 14:35..
blastfact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 18:29   #11
samurairabbi
Dungeon Schmuck

One feature of the G2 I like: With a Hogue grip, I can put the finger grooves where I want them, not where a generic hand wants them.

If you want to make a reduced offer for the G2, I suggest this: tell the seller you understand he wants to try to get his asking price, but if it doesn't sell in "X" days (you fill in your X value) at his price, you would then pay YOUR desired price for it. This gives the seller a gracious path to considering your offer more fully than if he had to give an immediate answer. Sometimes graciousness pays off, even with a low offer.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:45   #12
JimIsland

Red Baron, I have a G20 gen2 and the barrel is not supported very well. I had ZERO problems with it until I ran some DT ammo through it. I was lucky that the gun didn't kaboom on me. If you want to run some fairly hot ammo, stick with the gen3 or if you can get a killer deal on the gen2, you can replace the barrel/spring and be happy.

I shot my G20 yesterday out at a farm and man is the that gun deadly accurate and fun to shoot!!
JimIsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 22:10   #13
10 fan
10 fan

I have a early G20 gen2 and have never had any problems. The first 6 or 800 rounds were norma and have put alot of DT thru it. I never saved or looked at my brass ,but do now. Also have a G20SF gen3 and the barrels look the same to me.I here alot about glock barrels ,but have never had any problems.I have shot about every factory ammo (no underwood or swamp fox) thru them and gen2 & gen3 G29 with no problems out of at least 15,000 rounds.
10 fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:03   #14
swinokur

Here are cosmetic differences

Last edited by swinokur; 02-14-2012 at 08:33..
swinokur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 19:52   #15
redbaron007
Lifetime Membership
A Nice Prick!

Well, here is the update. I went back to review the gun on Wed.

I went back and inspected the gun a little bit closer. The owner had said he had shot only 100 or so rounds through it and the prior owner, his dad, had only shot about 100 rounds through it.

Further inspection showed the feeding ramp had a lot of wear; in excess of 200 rounds. The barrel had a lots of wear on it, too. We put a round in the chamber, barrel was removed from the gun, and shook the barrel; the round was very loose, rattled a ton. The spring appeared to have been replaced, too.

Knowing all this, I offered the guy $300, good through today. He called me this afternoon and countered with $375; he said that was as low as he could go. I refused. Told him if he didn't sell it by next Saturday, give me a call and lets see if I'm still interested, $300 would still be the max.

I appreciate all the great feedback.

Thx!!

red
The 10 Ring #00720

Old 01-07-2012, 20:05   #16
Beanie-Bean

Good call...if he does end up selling it to you for your price, at least you'll have a jump start on the replacement/aftermarket barrel.

What was his reaction when you put the round in there and it rattled around?

Beanie-Bean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 20:22   #17
redbaron007
Lifetime Membership
A Nice Prick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie-Bean View Post
Good call...if he does end up selling it to you for your price, at least you'll have a jump start on the replacement/aftermarket barrel.

What was his reaction when you put the round in there and it rattled around?
He said all Glocks do that!

I pulled out my G32 and showed him differently.

red
The 10 Ring #00720