Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-02-2012, 20:46   #1
win

thermold mags

anyone use these? Are they any good? was looking at a 10 rounder or maybe the 20 and 30 as well.
thanks
Old 01-03-2012, 01:54   #2
Mattkcc

I have a bunch of 20 rounders for the range and they work great. I bought a ten rounder for coyote hunting and you have to force it into the well and it takes a good yank to get it out. But I kept it due to not having to worry about the mag falling out if the mag release gets hit when I'm moving through brush. I hunt public land and ten rounds will last me several trips so I don't worry about taking extra mags, like to go lite as possible. I really like 20 round mags better then 30 for a semi anyway.
Mattkcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:09   #3
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

Thermolds have a bad rep (deservedly) from the past as some pretty craptastic ones got out. From what I've read, the concept was a 1-use throwaway mag for the military.

Significantly I'd say, every military that issued them no longer does that I'm aware of.

With the advent of the PMag, which 'does' work reliably about 99.999999% of the time, Thermolds are a waste of time.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:43   #4
bug

I bought some during the ban because that ls all you could get sometimes.
Mine worked ok. But the oralites from the Israel military worked better.

But now with pmags, new mil spec alum, Troy mag, HK mags,Fusil, FNC steal mags, British sa 80 mags and I am sure I missed some, you have a lot better choice than the thermelts...
Old 01-03-2012, 05:15   #5
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

I have some Thermolds from back in the day. They are fine and I have used them frequently over the last 14 years or so without any issue. They are my first line mags in that they are always loaded and I always use them when I take out the AR. Never had an issue whatsoever with them.

However, with Pmags and the C-mags for $8 each, there are alternatives.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:06   #6
sigman69

get the Pmags or Mil spec ones...I had a thermold...didnt work worth a damn in my bushmaster. Never had a problem with mil spec ones or Pmags(which I use the most)
Old 01-03-2012, 12:09   #7
Novocaine

Got a bunch during the ban, 20- and 30-rounders. 20-rounders are my favorite range mags. I believe the design bests everything out there including the P-mags. The caveat is the spring, it's weak, turns the mag into garbage. The problem is the spring is proprietary. GI springs make these mags flawless but the followers need to be modified. Reduces the capacity by 2-3 rounds.
Novocaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:19   #8
bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novocaine View Post
Got a bunch during the ban, 20- and 30-rounders. 20-rounders are my favorite range mags. I believe the design bests everything out there including the P-mags. The caveat is the spring, it's weak, turns the mag into garbage. The problem is the spring is proprietary. GI springs make these mags flawless but the followers need to be modified. Reduces the capacity by 2-3 rounds.
please share how... I still have some and some extra mag springs.

Last edited by bug; 01-03-2012 at 14:39..
bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 14:34   #9
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Yes, please share. Would be good to know.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 16:35   #10
Reswob

Quote:
So, despite the fact that mags don't even work, you contend the design bests everything out there?
Reswob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 21:02   #11
Toby196
Fetching a rug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMurphy View Post
Thermolds have a bad rep (deservedly) from the past as some pretty craptastic ones got out. From what I've read, the concept was a 1-use throwaway mag for the military.

Significantly I'd say, every military that issued them no longer does that I'm aware of.
Has any other military besides Canada used them? I only remember hearing of Canada using (and then discontinuing) them, and that supposedly their version differed from the ones sold commercially in the U.S.

I've only owned a few U.S. manufactured Thermolds (2 for a Mini-14, 1 for my AR15, all purchased before the AWB ended), and never had a problem with them. Granted, I never subjected any of them to any abuse, just normal shooting at the range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMurphy View Post
With the advent of the PMag, which 'does' work reliably about 99.999999% of the time, Thermolds are a waste of time.
Agreed. And as others have already said, brand new mil-spec mags (such as those offered by Brownells) can be purchased for even less than a used Thermold, so why even take the gamble.
"It is a Fearful thing to fall into the hands of the Living God." (Hebrews 10:31)

As the great warrior-poet Ice Cube once said- “If the day does not require an AK, it is good”.

Last edited by Toby196; 01-04-2012 at 05:05..
Toby196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 21:10   #12
Toby196
Fetching a rug.

Quote:
I too would like to know how the follower needs to be modified. Last year when I was updating my old Army mags with new springs and Magpul followers, out of curiosity I tried the upgrade on my Thermold mag, which of course didn't work.
"It is a Fearful thing to fall into the hands of the Living God." (Hebrews 10:31)

As the great warrior-poet Ice Cube once said- “If the day does not require an AK, it is good”.
Toby196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:23   #13
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

The Israelis had Orlites for a while, and I believe some Thermolds too.

They didn't last.

Several friends in the IDF absolutely despised them, though in general, they were fine with the M16.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:21   #14
vafish

I bought a couple of 20 rounders when cdnn had them for $4 they are good for practicing malfunction drills.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 13:10   #15
Novocaine

Don’t care for Orlites at all. I still have couple of them “for collection” and they feed well but insertion/extraction can be a problem.The metal mesh is easily exposed with wear and starts to sorta flail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reswob View Post
So, despite the fact that mags don't even work, you contend the design bests everything out there?
How does the crappy spring material constitute inherent design flaw? What do you mean “don’t even work”? With good springs the mags are 100%.

Let me clarify the follower thing. I stuck the GI followers in, hence capacity reduction. I have green followers in 30 rounders and black in 20 rounders. Don't remember if there was a particular reason for it, can’t think of any. But the kicker is the black follower becomes "anti-tilt" when combined with Thermold body. Green follower in 30-rd body reduces capacity by 5, black in 20rd (and I think all other combos)- by 3. The upside is that the mag becomes 100% reliable and you can’t compress spring as much. Took two mags apart to refresh my memory on what was done and saw they have Wolff springs in them. Again don’t remember if there was a reason, GI should work just as well.

Very easy mod. No precision involved, you hack things away with a kitchen knife, not diamond file. I think I used XActo but anything will do short of a butter knife. .

First try to stick the follower in. You’ll see it’s too wide at the front. You trim the front lateral tabs so that the follower measures .71 or so side-to-side up front. Don’t have to have calipers, just keep removing material from both sides somewhat equally until the thing fits and slides smoothly inside the tube. Don't worry about how smooth the cut is but it's better to remove more material than to have a snug fit. Think AK, not AR.

Now when the follower slides all the way up against the feedlips you’ll see it “nosedives” a bit. Look at the front top edge of the follower- it came up against the internal radii within the tube.
So you cut the chamfer alongside the front top edge of the follower, about .06 @ 45deg. Again, no precision involved just remove the material until the radii are cleared and the follower sits parallel to the top of the mag.

For the record as much as I like Thermolds for the range I have no idea what kind of plastic they use and how durable they are. They can be stored loaded indefinitely without feedlips creep, that’s all I can attest to as far as durability. I do agree about them making little sense except for those who already have them. PMags being proven and cheap and all.
Novocaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 13:54   #16
bug

Quote:
Don’t care for Orlites at all. I still have couple of them “for collection” and they feed well but insertion/extraction can be a problem.The metal mesh is easily exposed with wear and starts to sorta flail.

How does the crappy spring material constitute inherent design flaw? What do you mean “don’t even work”? With good springs the mags are 100%.

Let me clarify the follower thing. I stuck the GI followers in, hence capacity reduction. I have green followers in 30 rounders and black in 20 rounders. Don't remember if there was a particular reason for it, can’t think of any. But the kicker is the black follower becomes "anti-tilt" when combined with Thermold body. Green follower in 30-rd body reduces capacity by 5, black in 20rd (and I think all other combos)- by 3. The upside is that the mag becomes 100% reliable and you can’t compress spring as much. Took two mags apart to refresh my memory on what was done and saw they have Wolff springs in them. Again don’t remember if there was a reason, GI should work just as well.

Very easy mod. No precision involved, you hack things away with a kitchen knife, not diamond file. I think I used XActo but anything will do short of a butter knife. .

First try to stick the follower in. You’ll see it’s too wide at the front. You trim the front lateral tabs so that the follower measures .71 or so side-to-side up front. Don’t have to have calipers, just keep removing material from both sides somewhat equally until the thing fits and slides smoothly inside the tube. Don't worry about how smooth the cut is but it's better to remove more material than to have a snug fit. Think AK, not AR.

Now when the follower slides all the way up against the feedlips you’ll see it “nosedives” a bit. Look at the front top edge of the follower- it came up against the internal radii within the tube.
So you cut the chamfer alongside the front top edge of the follower, about .06 @ 45deg. Again, no precision involved just remove the material until the radii are cleared and the follower sits parallel to the top of the mag.

For the record as much as I like Thermolds for the range I have no idea what kind of plastic they use and how durable they are. They can be stored loaded indefinitely without feedlips creep, that’s all I can attest to as far as durability. I do agree about them making little sense except for those who already have them. PMags being proven and cheap and all.
Cool will try this out I have 5-6 GI mag springs and followers that were taken out of mil spec mags and replaced with gen 2 magpul follower and wolf spring.
Old 01-04-2012, 13:55   #17
fx77
CLM Number 232
Charter Lifetime Member

Used them for years No problems.
fx77 is offline   Reply With Quote