Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-01-2012, 19:11   #1
NowAGlocker

Model 1 Sales

I am gathering parts to build an AR. I was at the Fort Worth gun show and visited with some of the folks at Model 1 Sales. They had lots of options and choices for uppers. One gentleman from Louisiana gathered several dozen uppers and let me know he had been building an selling their ARs for 20+ years and loves them.

Does anyone have any experience with them?
NowAGlocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 19:20   #2
HAIL CAESAR

They are "OK" and I H-A-T-E when people say "you can do better" on these websites....

But with this company you can do better. I have seen several of their varminter kits however and they have been accurate.
Old 01-01-2012, 19:29   #3
NowAGlocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAIL CAESAR View Post
They are "OK" and I H-A-T-E when people say "you can do better" on these websites....

But with this company you can do better. I have seen several of their varminter kits however and they have been accurate.
When you say you can do better, are you saying they are not very good quality, or are you saying I should consider BCM, Noveske, or DD?
Old 01-01-2012, 19:36   #4
HAIL CAESAR

I will NEVER give you the BS, HS, DS line of you must get a BCM "or whatever the tactical college kids and or insurance salesman are pimping this month", but MS Sales are not the best in the world. Actually not very good...just decent.

If you tell me what you want I can give you an honest answer other than "You must get a BCM or you will die in a gunfight!!!".

Al
Old 01-01-2012, 19:50   #5
NowAGlocker

Quote:
I will NEVER give you the BS, HS, DS line of you must get a BCM "or whatever the tactical college kids and or insurance salesman are pimping this month", but MS Sales are not the best in the world. Actually not very good...just decent.

If you tell me what you want I can give you an honest answer other than "You must get a BCM or you will die in a gunfight!!!".

Al
This is the upper I was looking at: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/467...round-magazine. That is, before I went to the show. Are there better uppers that aren't as expensive as the one in the link?

Last edited by NowAGlocker; 01-01-2012 at 19:54..
Old 01-01-2012, 19:55   #6
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member

I had a 24" Model 1 Sales upper a few years back. I used a Colt bolt
carrier and bolt. It ran reliably, and would shoot sub 1 moa.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 20:26   #7
HAIL CAESAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowAGlocker View Post
This is the upper I was looking at: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/467...round-magazine. That is, before I went to the show. Are there better uppers that aren't as expensive as the one in the link?
Holy Nikey's. You are looking at the best, or if not the best the really expensive.

I am building a upper now with a Rainier Arms Ultra Match barrel and a Samson rail now for WAY less than that upper.
Old 01-01-2012, 21:06   #8
mark68

I have a 20 hbar barrel upper that i got from them and I can keep a sub 1 moa. My xm177 upper I got from them was excellent. The weld on the flash supps. was turned down and the barrel was refinished. (I have friends that have barrels from big names that looked like a blind crack head tried to learn how to weld on their flash supps.) I just finished a 300 blackout build with their parts and am very proud of the final product. They sell good parts at a good price. No they are not a noveske or a knights or a dd, but they put out good products. I have ordered from them many times. The only thing I can B@#$H about is that they are 15 minutes away from my house and I have to wait for the big brown truck to bring my parts.
If you are building a rifle to shoot paper plates or small critters their great. But, if you are heading into a combat zone you may want to go the extra mile and get some heavy combat grade equipment. But the golf balls and horse apples around here don't put up a big fight...
mark68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 22:28   #9
CarryTexas

Take a look at Palmetto State Armory's AR's. You can get a Milspec rifle for around $600.

Will a Model 1 meet the needs of most users? Sure, but why not get a better rifle for the same or less...

I have limited experience with Model 1 and they're fine for most all uses, but the fit & finish doesn't compare to the upper tier rifles...

Figure out what your budget is and buy the best your budget will afford.
CarryTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 13:22   #10
johns961

I have a M1S barrel. They are not mil spec. They are ordnance 4140 steel.
They are made by E.R. Shaw. It works well. I cannot detect any difference
than from my mil spec barrels.

John!
johns961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 16:17   #11
Mail Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowAGlocker View Post
I am gathering parts to build an AR. I was at the Fort Worth gun show and visited with some of the folks at Model 1 Sales. They had lots of options and choices for uppers. One gentleman from Louisiana gathered several dozen uppers and let me know he had been building an selling their ARs for 20+ years and loves them.

Does anyone have any experience with them?
NowAGlocker,

I bought two uppers from them in the past and have no issues with their builds. I admit they could have a little better business manners. From others I've read they've bee touted to have some sort of shady business stuff going on the website but in person their OK.

It appears they have allot of variety of complete rifles and appear to be decent as mine have been for 6 years so far.

Mail Clerk
Old 01-03-2012, 21:07   #12
Singlestack Wonder

Quote:

Al
Old 01-03-2012, 21:09   #13
HAIL CAESAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlestack Wonder View Post
Old 01-03-2012, 22:30   #14
NowAGlocker

Thanks for all the replies. I already have a RRA, so I guess I am looking for something a little higher end true mil-spec. I think I will hold off on the Model 1 Sales this go round. May look at them again later for another build.

Last edited by NowAGlocker; 01-03-2012 at 22:31..
Old 01-03-2012, 23:07   #15
arclight610

Quote:
Quote:

Anyways, I did a build with a Model 1 lightweight profile barrel. Ran like a champ.

EDIT: I also second looking into the Palmetto State stuff

Last edited by arclight610; 01-03-2012 at 23:07..
arclight610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 17:20   #16
HAIL CAESAR

Most of my reservations about M1 is the QC when they put the uppers together. If you can check the barrel nut and can check the gas block yourself, then you should be alright.

Also the A2 stocks they use are the filminess I have ever seen. Some of the springs they have used seem not the best quality.

I have seen quite a few heavy M1 sales guns and they were indeed accurate.

NowAGlocker, so you are wanting a upper that is more accurate than a normal "Mil-Spec" upper? Hence why you are looking at the SS Noveske's.
Old 01-04-2012, 18:36   #17
Singlestack Wonder

Uppers themselves have nothing to do with accuracy. Bolts and chambers do. True mil-spec bolts lock up great within the barrel which is why the AR platform has proven to be just as accurate and in some cases more so, that bolt action guns. The key to above than average accuracy is the chamber. Wylde or USMC SAM-R cahmbers consistantly produce the tightest groups.

Of course the low tier mall operators with their DPMS, RRA, Olympic Arms, etc., will disagree.
Old 01-04-2012, 19:10   #18
HAIL CAESAR

Quote:
Uppers themselves have nothing to do with accuracy. Bolts and chambers do. True mil-spec bolts lock up great within the barrel which is why the AR platform has proven to be just as accurate and in some cases more so, that bolt action guns. The key to above than average accuracy is the chamber. Wylde or USMC SAM-R cahmbers consistantly produce the tightest groups.

Of course the low tier mall operators with their DPMS, RRA, Olympic Arms, etc., will disagree.
Well....kinda true.

The bolts pay a part...but as long as they headspace correctly then "Mil-Spec" doesn't play a anything into it.

Chambers are important. A Wylde will shoot better than a 5.56. But a .223 Rem with shoot better than a Wylde. (All things considered)

Barrels are VERY important. Probably the MOST important.

Triggers come into play very much so. Tug through a Mil-Spec 8 pound grit mill trigger and then snap a 2 pound target trigger.....

Good glass becomes a part as does the mounting.

Then it is always the nut behind the gun.
Old 01-04-2012, 19:14   #19
HAIL CAESAR

Actually RRA has fine barrels and Olympic actually makes VERY good barrels. DPMS is usually good for accuracy guns...but can be hit or miss.