SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-26-2014, 07:31   #1
dryfly
Platinum Membership

Anyone running a red dot ?

Seriously considering putting a Trijicon RMR on my 20sf.

I know a guy near to me that is good at milling and tapping slides.

Probably looking at $500.00 for the RMR.
Another $200.00 for the gunsmith work.
And another $150.00 for new suppressor sights.

One of my buddies recently did the same to his G20sf and it is quite bad ass accurate.

Was wondering if anyone here has done this ?
dryfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 09:25   #2
redbaron007
Lifetime Membership
Some Dude

I've seen several guys use the Burris Fast Fire III with zero issues. IIRC, they have an adapter for the red dot on the rear sight mount.

red
TopGun *357sig* Club - #2632
The 10 Ring #00720

R.I.P. Cajunator® ~ R.I.P. JTull7
R.I.P. Mullah (aka El_Ron1) ~ R.I.P. GioaJack ~ R.I.P. Okie
redbaron007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 16:28   #3
dryfly
Platinum Membership

I am drooling about doing it but a lot of coin. $935.00 total.

I am surprised there are not a few guys here that have one.
I very well may be the first.
Old 12-26-2014, 20:08   #4
johnson8861
Daddo Chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
Seriously considering putting a Trijicon RMR on my 20sf.

I know a guy near to me that is good at milling and tapping slides.

Probably looking at $500.00 for the RMR.
Another $200.00 for the gunsmith work.
And another $150.00 for new suppressor sights.

One of my buddies recently did the same to his G20sf and it is quite bad ass accurate.

Was wondering if anyone here has done this ?
No, I have never seen one with legs. I've used one before however.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:29   #5
Sigobsessed
Good looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron007 View Post
I've seen several guys use the Burris Fast Fire III with zero issues. IIRC, they have an adapter for the red dot on the rear sight mount.

red
I was looking at those online the other day. You can mount a red dot using the adapter that goes in the stock sight dovetail. I kinda like the idea of no machining so you can go back to original config if you want to. If I remember correctly it would cost about $500 for the sight and adapter.
Old 12-27-2014, 23:39   #6
Bongo Boy

$250 for the Burris Fastfire III and $50 for the adaptor, or $600 for an RMR and $90 for the Trijicon Glock adaptor. What would folks expect to get for the extra $400 for the Trijicon product? I have a Fastfire III but have not seen or used the RMR sight. For now I'm simply going to run a $40 rail-mounted sight mount on the G20sf and use the Fastfire that I already have, just to see how it stays on and holds zero. I didn't want to remove the rear sight if I don't have to. I assume the Trijicons are 'better' somehow or have additional features, and I've read that C More is 'better' that the Fastfire as well. Do you have opinions as to why the other sights are an improvement?
Bongo Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 17:00   #7
dryfly
Platinum Membership

I will research the Burris Fastfire ....
Old 12-28-2014, 19:47   #8
VN350X10

If you look into competition situations, the C More is by far the most often used red dot type sight. On a Glock, look into using a Team Carver mount. You won't be dissapointed with the combo. Somehow, subjecting the red dot & it's electronics to the shock of being slide mounted just doesn't seem the way to go. Especially with the slide speed of a 10MM, I can forsee things breaking.
Just my $.02 worth....

uncle albert
NRA Endowment Member, NRA Certified Instructor for Rifle & Pistol, Illinois State Rifle Assn. - Life Member, GSSF Life Member,N.R.O.I. level I, IL Glockers #34
G: 19,20(x2),21,22,23(x2),24,27,29,34,35 & 36 (still counting)
USPSA, IDPA,
VN350X10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 20:57   #9
Bongo Boy

I don't much care for the idea, either (slide mount), although I know it's certainly done a lot--or at least products for doing are readily available. While I'm not concerned at all about emergency situations where I must have the open sights, I still prefer to have them there and usable. Even if it's a simple non-threatening matter of having driven 30 minutes to the range to find I have no functioning red-dot and can't shoot the gun.

My main concern with the rail-mounted optics mount that I bought is the apparent flimsyness of the Glock dust cover. I mean, they're generally already warped as they come new from the factory--I can't imagine it'll provide that rigid a setup, especially given that the mount itself is cantilevered back with no other means of support. We'll see how it goes; maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised and able to report back happy things.
Old 12-28-2014, 20:58   #10
Bongo Boy

[deleted duplicate post]

Last edited by Bongo Boy; 12-28-2014 at 21:05.. Reason: Bizarre duplicate post.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:16   #11
redbaron007
Lifetime Membership
Some Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigobsessed View Post
I was looking at those online the other day. You can mount a red dot using the adapter that goes in the stock sight dovetail. I kinda like the idea of no machining so you can go back to original config if you want to. If I remember correctly it would cost about $500 for the sight and adapter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Boy View Post
$250 for the Burris Fastfire III and $50 for the adaptor, or $600 for an RMR and $90 for the Trijicon Glock adaptor. What would folks expect to get for the extra $400 for the Trijicon product? I have a Fastfire III but have not seen or used the RMR sight. For now I'm simply going to run a $40 rail-mounted sight mount on the G20sf and use the Fastfire that I already have, just to see how it stays on and holds zero. I didn't want to remove the rear sight if I don't have to. I assume the Trijicons are 'better' somehow or have additional features, and I've read that C More is 'better' that the Fastfire as well. Do you have opinions as to why the other sights are an improvement?
Sig......BongoBoy has the cost just about right on. You may find a LGS that will give you a break if you do business with them fairly regular.

I got to shoot a Super Blackhawk this weekend with a FFII mounted on it. Although not a G20, it was interesting to shoot. However, for hunting....I'm now leaning back towards straight sights; like the TruGlo TFO. The guy who owned the SB also had these on a MP45.....I really liked them...especially for the price.

red
TopGun *357sig* Club - #2632
The 10 Ring #00720

R.I.P. Cajunator® ~ R.I.P. JTull7
R.I.P. Mullah (aka El_Ron1) ~ R.I.P. GioaJack ~ R.I.P. Okie
redbaron007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 21:03   #12
OregonG20

I run a trijicon dual illuminated sight on my g20. No electronics to worry about. I have about 1000 rounds through it since i had the work done, and i have had no issues. It is so easy to shoot, its like cheating.

I had the work done by L&M Precision Gunworks. Top notch quality, and he doesn't break the bank.

http://www.landmprecisiongunworks.co.../services.html

Here is a link to my post when I had the work done:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1507527

-Berto
OregonG20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 21:08   #13
janice6

If you age is showing up in your eyesight, it's great.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 01:49   #14
Maine1

this is something i am seriously considering.

are supresor sights, specificaly, nesesary to be tall enough to co-witness the red dot?
Maine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 13:58   #15
OregonG20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine1 View Post
this is something i am seriously considering.

are supresor sights, specificaly, nesesary to be tall enough to co-witness the red dot?
I don't run suppressor sights. With the Dual Illuminated Trijicon, there are no electronics, so no batteries to fail or wires to get shaken loose.

I painted a small triangle on the back of my Trijicon, that lines up with the white dot on the front sight of my G20. When looking through the sight, I line up the rear triangle with the front dot, and a bright green triangle appears. If I can't see the green triangle for some reason, I can still shoot with practical accuracy because I can still see the very top of the front sight through the Trijicon. Line it up with the point on the white triangle, and I can still easily shoot. I can hit a torso target @ 50 yards this way. I see no need for extra suppressor sights. Even when my SilencerCo Osprey gets here in a few months, I'm still going to run the same set up.

I tried to take a couple of pictures to convey what I see with mine. The pics show each reference point spaced apart, but when you squeeze it together, it works very well.

The 10 Ring

[IMG]The 10 Ring[/IMG]

Also, don't let the size of the triangle in the pic fool you. It is way bigger than that. That's just the way it looks when the camera lens is so close to the sight.

-Berto

Last edited by OregonG20; 12-31-2014 at 13:59..
Old 12-31-2014, 19:20   #16
Maine1

I actually would like a finer aiming point- i shoot quite a bit at 50 yards or more with the G-20. I regularly hit a 12" gong with my trigicon iron sights, butt his would make it easier and faster, and more precise at 100 yards.
Maine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 19:40   #17
OregonG20

Quote:
I actually would like a finer aiming point- i shoot quite a bit at 50 yards or more with the G-20. I regularly hit a 12" gong with my trigicon iron sights, butt his would make it easier and faster, and more precise at 100 yards.
That's what I use the tip of the triangle for. More precision.

I know the electric ones can have a much smaller MOA dot, 3.5 I think. That should be plenty precise for pistol work.

-Berto
Old 01-07-2015, 22:24   #18
Bongo Boy

Quote:
Of course it depends on how big your target is, but it's hard for me to imagine shooting beyond 25 yards at much of anything. It may be a matter of just getting out and doing it. I know at training they handed me a P229 and had me shoot a torso-sized silhouette target at about 50 yds offhand and I was able to hit it everytime, but where I hit it is another matter.

I'm impressed when folks can make groups at 25 yards, and when they can get hits at any distance further. I hear of folks making groups at 25 yds that I impress myself with at 12! Time to practice some real shooting, I guess.

I know I sure don't like the big bright red fuzzy ball that covers the entire target--with my rather limited experience and skills I still prefer a dot that's as small, dim and crisp as possible--at least for non-action shooting.
Rocky Mountain Gun Owners #3081

Last edited by Bongo Boy; 01-07-2015 at 22:26..
Old 01-08-2015, 04:42   #19
VN350X10

Go and watch (or better yet shoot) a shilouette match. Iron sights out to 200 M. with a handgun. Gives you a real appreciation for practice. I used to, but it really is a "young eyes" game. But to shoot a perfect score, it's great. My eyes made me quit the game about 25 years ago. Being a weldor for a living isn't real great for the eyes....

uncle albert
VN350X10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 05:06   #20
railfancwb

Glock supposedly will introduce pistols machined for (maybe even fitted with) red dot sights at the Shot Show.

Even though I'm a "mature" person (aka old person) I can shoot groups single handed at 100 yards. Bring a tape measure to size them.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire