Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:34   #1
gofastman

looking to order a lot of 10mm brass

Im planing on ordering 500 or 1000 (probably 1000) peices of 10mm brass, any suggestions?
I like the shiney nickle cases, any reason to not get nickle?
What brand should I go with? Im thinking Starline.
How does Topbrass compare to Starline? I had a few split cases from Swampfox with Topbrass, Mike said he received a bad batch though.

Last edited by gofastman; 01-02-2012 at 10:52..
gofastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:49   #2
cablecutter

Midwayusa.com and starline I would recommend.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
cablecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:57   #3
orangeride

Just a little warning. I just orderd 1000 nickle starline from midway, the stuff is real nice, easy to find at the range. Here's the problem, while reloading them on my Dillion I found the primer pockets to be super tight. While using cci 350's they where tight but still able to get them all the way in, I ran out and had to switch to fed large pistol and had major problems, about 30-40 there was no way to seat the primers all the way flush, and I had to take them apart. Now I had some once fired starline brass that the fed's worked fine in. Primers pockets will loosen over time. I've loaded cci and rem primers and they were fine, fed not good in new brass. Sorry I've haven't tried the win primers that a lot of guys like to use.
orangeride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 13:10   #4
MercuryHayze

Send a message via AIM to MercuryHayze
The Ni cases will be harder on your dies. Go with the regular brass Starline from Midway.

"hope lies in the smoldering rubbel of empire"
MercuryHayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 14:23   #5
blastfact

I've been buying Starline from Midway and Winchester from two LGS.

The Starline has been far cheaper than the Winchester. Almost half the total cost of the Win. With Tax on the Win and shipping on the Starline figured in.

What I've seen with the Starline is my Federal and CCI standard primers seat much to deep for my liking. So deep in fact I did not know if they would ignite when struck with the striker. They did and have ignited. But man do they bottom out deep! The case length was fine so I did not need to trim them out of the box. But I did have to debur them. If I loaded the brass up straight out of the bag it would not chamber at the range in my LWD barrel. I had to clean up the burrs to make it run right. Also the brass seemed really freaking soft. This may or may not be a good thing. As you shoot and reload the brass it may firm up a tad and stave off work hardening.

As for the Win. It came out of the bag ready to load. No work needed at all. The primers set much better in the brass depth wise and the brass felt a bit harder in the sizing die.

As for shooting. I made up 100 Starline and Win with 180gn XTP and 10.6gn of Blue Dot. Also made up a 100 each of Starline and Win with 155gn XTP and 13gn of Blue Dot.

Both had great gas seal to the chamber wall in the LWD barrel. Very impressive in my book! The Winchester brass ejected in a more uniform pattern. While the Starline went all over the place! This is using the stock recoil spring and rod. Also the Starline suffered dents in the brass from hitting the slide on ejection. While the Win only had a polish spot if it hit the slide to no evidence of the slide and brass meeting. In the end I lost 20% of my Starline brass and none of my Winchester brass shooting equal amounts of both loads.

I will be buying more Winchester brass. Paying more for it and supporting my local economy and hopefully retaining more of it in a cleaner state.
blastfact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 14:31   #6
alwaysshootin

Get what you can for now! Seems that when you go looking, for 10MM brass, most avenues are out. Get on the waiting list with Starline, and order a thousand brass. Then you will be set for awhile, and if/when you get down to 500 or so, place another order. Unless you catch a sale at Midway, I think the best price going is directly through Starline. Also by ordering new, you know what you have. You can keep count of times reloaded, and don't have to worry if you have once fired, or 10x reloaded at time of purchase.
Old 01-02-2012, 14:37   #7
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Yes. Backorder from Starline. Best prices and no shipping charge. I recommend regular brass rather than nickel-plated if you intend to reload them several times. I have seen that the harder and slicker nickel cases have issues with neck tension after a few reloads. Starline brass is excellent. It is what Buffalo Bore loads factory rounds in.

Last edited by Taterhead; 01-02-2012 at 14:38..
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 15:09   #8
alwaysshootin

About the only reason I ever use the nickel, is for my hunting loads, which are of course, just my regular hot loads, dresses up shiny for ease of finding on the leaf cluttered woods floor!
Old 01-02-2012, 15:49   #9
blastfact

I find it funny orangeride and myself have found Starline primer pockets so diverse and different. There's loaded on a Dillon and mine on Lee.

While I have nickel brass in my collection. I never buy it and only pick it up at the range or accept if from friends as a gift. I have some 9mm, .38/.357 and .45 acp loaded up in nickel and do carry some of it in 9mm. But I wont go out of my way to buy it. As for it being harder on modern dies. I have not seen that to be true. But I would never reload it once it started flaking and chipping.
blastfact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 16:04   #10
MinervaDoe

If you buy Starline brass directly from Starline, it is cheaper than buying from Midway. Backorders with Starline typically arrive more quickly than they predict.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
MinervaDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 16:28   #11
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

I like Starline brass and usually get it from MidWay USA.
$106 shipped last time for 500 pieces.
Old 01-02-2012, 17:05   #12
alwaysshootin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWARREN123 View Post
I like Starline brass and usually get it from MidWay USA.
$106 shipped last time for 500 pieces.
Just went to starline, seems as though they have it in stock, and cheaper than midway!

http://www.starlinebrass.com/index.php?cPath=1
Old 02-12-2012, 22:53   #13
Kwesi

My nickel Starline is lasting longer than my regular Starline. If you want nickel then Midway is the ticket for 500 or 1000.
Kwesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:20   #14
dsb1829

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysshootin View Post
Just went to starline, seems as though they have it in stock, and cheaper than midway!

http://www.starlinebrass.com/index.php?cPath=1
Cheaper and the S&H is included in the price. Even with my birthday savings it was more expensive to buy it through midway once shipping is tacked on...
dsb1829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 16:12   #15
Kwesi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsb1829 View Post
Cheaper and the S&H is included in the price. Even with my birthday savings it was more expensive to buy it through midway once shipping is tacked on...
Not for nickel though. Starline is the best for regular brass.
Kwesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 18:08   #16
Grimson

I just got my order of 500 10mm from Starline yesterday. It was $85+change with free shipping.
Grimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 22:22   #17
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson View Post
I just got my order of 500 10mm from Starline yesterday. It was $85+change with free shipping.
Love the purdy shine of a new box 'o brass.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote