Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-01-2012, 13:20   #1
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Local Ranges

Just out of curiousity, where does everybody shoot at? What would you all think of getting a GT group together for a range day?

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 23:30   #2
Louisville Glocker
Urban Redneck

In Louisville, I shoot over at Bluegrass Indoor Range. However, I've been getting more and more into calibers that they won't let me shoot there. Like 7.62, and 5.56 and slugs or buckshot for my 12 gauge. So that leaves me with Knob Creek, which is about a 45 minute drive, or Henrysville state park, which is also about 45 minutes (but free, so the price is right).

Maybe I shouldn't give away my secrets, but what goes around comes around, right? Yeah, I like Henrysville (off HWY 65 in Indiana), though I only go early in the day on weekdays to avoid crowds - it is a pretty small range. Also, Knob Creek - while cool - is a little big for my personal taste.

If only I lived in the country and could go out my back door to shoot.

Where do ya'll live?

Cheers,

p.s. my 9 y.o. usually comes shooting with me. He's shot just about all of my guns, except my Dracos and Krink (7.62 pistols).
Louisville Glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:40   #3
cpolk

Open Range in Crestwood is also nice, just up I71. Bluegrass Indoor Range is nice as well. They just finished a remodel and expansion.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:00   #4
CJStudent
Fenced In

I haven't been to Bluegrass in a while; I did my CCDW class there a while back. I've been to the Clark State Forest range; it is nice for what it is. It's a little short, though, for rifles; only 100 yards or so. If I'm remembering right, Knob Creek's is 300-something yards. I just need to get my backside out and shoot some; I've got a refurb Sig that I haven't shot yet that I'm dying to!

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:29   #5
NkySpike

Has any of you been to Randy's Range in Sparta, KY? http://www.randysrange.com/

I have been there once for my CCDW class... It's all outside ,225 yard outdoor target range.

Gen4 G19
Gen4 G27

Last edited by NkySpike; 02-01-2012 at 01:30..
NkySpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:56   #6
CJStudent
Fenced In

Quote:
Originally Posted by NkySpike View Post

I have been there once for my CCDW class... It's all outside ,225 yard outdoor target range.
Might have to check that one out!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Quote:
Old 02-03-2012, 01:08   #7
NkySpike

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJStudent View Post
Might have to check that one out!

Best to "click" on direction on his website. They renamed his street, so GPS will mess you up.

Gen4 G19
Gen4 G27

Last edited by NkySpike; 02-03-2012 at 01:11..
NkySpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:07   #8
CJStudent
Fenced In

Quote:
Best to "click" on direction on his website. They renamed his street, so GPS will mess you up.
Thanks for the heads up!

Quote:
Old 02-20-2012, 03:19   #9
jbarnes85

I'm like Louisville Glocker I go to knob creek, TG&G, Heneryville state park. But there is a new tactical range in Sellersburge, IN but don't know if it's open to the public I went there with Louisville Sheriffs department. There is also a range that opened in I think Borden, IN that has a few 1000 yard lanes. Will post the address when I find it. Haven't been there yet.

Knob creek has gone down hill unless you have a membership. They have range officers that are d**ks now and you shot for 15 mins then have to wait 30 mins before you can shot for 15 mins again. But a membership is only $100/year and you can use the lower pistol range which is set up for practical pistol comps and the lower rifle range which is 250 yards with no range officers.
jbarnes85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:20   #10
CJStudent
Fenced In

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarnes85 View Post
I'm like Louisville Glocker I go to knob creek, TG&G, Heneryville state park. But there is a new tactical range in Sellersburge, IN but don't know if it's open to the public I went there with Louisville Sheriffs department. There is also a range that opened in I think Borden, IN that has a few 1000 yard lanes. Will post the address when I find it. Haven't been there yet.

Knob creek has gone down hill unless you have a membership. They have range officers that are d**ks now and you shot for 15 mins then have to wait 30 mins before you can shot for 15 mins again. But a membership is only $100/year and you can use the lower pistol range which is set up for practical pistol comps and the lower rifle range which is 250 yards with no range officers.
Good to know; I was planning on heading down there this afternoon if it warms up.

Quote:
Old 02-20-2012, 08:28   #11
GenoTac Ind.
|KYDEX GEAR>

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarnes85 View Post

Knob creek has gone down hill unless you have a membership.
Where do you work Barnes? I might know you. Is the Louisville Sheriffs Department a new agency? And do they pay better than Jefferson County Sheriffs Office? Ands can you take guest with you to that tacticool range?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
GenoTac Ind. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:52   #12
CJStudent
Fenced In

Quote:
Old 02-20-2012, 08:52   #13
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Just out of curiousity, where does everybody shoot at? What would you all think of getting a GT group together for a range day?
I basically don't shoot at all anymore except for semi-annual rifle and pistol qualification. I need to start back. I'm thinking about Anderson County, but I missed the chance to join. I bought a Browning Hi Power at Bud's Saturday and I don't even have a place to try it out without paying Bud's outrageous price and waiting in the 2-hour long line.

Franklin Co. is close to me, but they have jacked the price up far beyond what they offer (the entire rifle/pistol section is a 2-car wide driveway).
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:53   #14
CJStudent
Fenced In

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
I basically don't shoot at all anymore except for semi-annual rifle and pistol qualification. I need to start back. I'm thinking about Anderson County, but I missed the chance to join. I bought a Browning Hi Power at Bud's Saturday and I don't even have a place to try it out without paying Bud's outrageous price and waiting in the 2-hour long line.

Franklin Co. is close to me, but they have jacked the price up far beyond what they offer (the entire rifle/pistol section is a 2-car wide driveway).
I've heard good things about BGSL in Wilmore.

Quote:
Old 02-20-2012, 08:59   #15
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:

I might check that out too - $15 a day is a lot better than $20 an hour to shoot indoors (I hate indoor shooting more than paying $20 an hour).
Old 02-20-2012, 09:00   #16
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
I've heard good things about BGSL in Wilmore.
It is the best facility in KY, but they keep raising the price, so I finally just quit. I was a member there for several years and shot there at least once a month. It's an hour's drive, so I only went for matches and matches are open to non-members.

Last edited by Bren; 02-20-2012 at 09:01..
Old 02-20-2012, 09:02   #17
CJStudent
Fenced In

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
It is the best facility in KY, but they keep raising the price, so I finally just quit. I was a member there for several years and shot there at least once a month. It's an hour's drive, so I only went for matches and matches are open to non-members.
Good to know. I started working in Lexington last year, and I've heard a bit about it from coworkers that at least used to do competitions down there.

Quote:
Old 02-20-2012, 18:42   #18
8th ID

Bgsl

Bren & CJStudent--

Bud's in Lexington is HIGH on their range fees, but if you're willing to pay it and can get over there in the a.m. there is NEVER a line when they open at 9 a.m. through the week.

BGSL in Wilmore is where I do most of my shooting as a NON-MEMBER. They have monthly IDPA, Steel Challenge, USPSA, and a yearly GSSF. ALL can be shot by non-members. This past Saturday we had 57 shooters at the IDPA match. I used to work with the guy who is IDPA match director out there. He does a d*&% good job at setting the stages up, etc.

IF you want to drive to Paris, you can shoot at Smokin' Guns/Jet Guns for $5 per half hour!!
8th ID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 20:08   #19
CJStudent
Fenced In

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8th ID View Post
Bren & CJStudent--

Bud's in Lexington is HIGH on their range fees, but if you're willing to pay it and can get over there in the a.m. there is NEVER a line when they open at 9 a.m. through the week.

BGSL in Wilmore is where I do most of my shooting as a NON-MEMBER. They have monthly IDPA, Steel Challenge, USPSA, and a yearly GSSF. ALL can be shot by non-members. This past Saturday we had 57 shooters at the IDPA match. I used to work with the guy who is IDPA match director out there. He does a d*&% good job at setting the stages up, etc.

IF you want to drive to Paris, you can shoot at Smokin' Guns/Jet Guns for $5 per half hour!!
Thanks; I get the LE rate at Buds, which I think is $7.50 or so I was told by a coworker that shoots there fairly often (first name basis with most of the employees there).

Quote:
Old 02-20-2012, 20:15   #20
CJStudent
Fenced In

Well, I went to Knob Creek today for the first time in a few years.

Positive changes: Safety on the line is LOTS better than it used to be. Weapons are checked for clear and put off-limits before anyone goes downrange. If you get stupid, you're gone.

Neutral: Chamber flags required for every gun. I think they're making quite a bit of money on those (there's no way those cost anywhere near the 50 cents they charge per flag), though I understand the point of making damn sure the chamber is clear between strings.

Not so good: Apparently, now the military discount only applies to Active Duty; National Guard and Reserves need not apply (even though the ID is identical.........).

All in all, though, it was a good day. The staff were fairly friendly and helpful (especially considering it was busy as can be; seemed odd for mid-day on a Monday), enough so that I may be back soon to do some horse-trading on an Arsenal SLR106UR (aka high-end expensive AK, lol)!

Quote: