SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:45   #1
barbedwiresmile
Unreconstructed

Hunters: do you take this shot?

Out for whitetail this morning. Get set up. At dawn a big coyote comes sniffing into my kill zone. Hangs out for awhile. I have him in my sites. I didn't take the shot. I figure I'm here to put venison in the fridge. Now, 2 hours later,I'm wishing I took the shot. Especially since I compete with predators on the farm as it regards chicken raising. Thoughts? Did I make the right call or am I a dope? Hindsight obviously 20/20...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Por La Raza todo, Fuera de La Raza nada
barbedwiresmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:48   #2
eracer
Where's my EBT?

That yote will be there tomorrow. Kill it.
Matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration; we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death. Life is a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. And now...the weather! ---- Bill Hicks
eracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:55   #3
sourdough44

ALWAYS take the coyote shot. The deer will still come by later.

2 years back I was out to burn an anterless tag. After a bit here comes a coyote, about 80 yards. I take him with my scoped M-L. Then I just sit tight. Not 25 min later here comes a doe, not far from where the coyote lays. I added that deer to the pot also. A single gun shot isn't all that alarming to woods critters. It's the talking, high-fiving, & all the rest that cause alert. I've shot multiple deer in one sitting a handful of times, shoot, quietly reload(M-L), & sit tight.

I'm also talking that close in, sure shot, not a 200 yrd hail Mary shot. Of course if the wall-hanger is in sight, I'd hold off too.

Last edited by sourdough44; 11-06-2011 at 12:16..
sourdough44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:43   #4
noway

That yote is a predator just like you and targeting the same things as us. Since deer season has just started in your area ( guessing 1st week of nov for most gun seasons and states ). I would have capped the yote if I had the shot and planned to be back in the woods again.

just my 2ct view but I'm not you nor know your plans.
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:04   #5
Hummer
Big Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbedwiresmile View Post
....I didn't take the shot. I figure I'm here to put venison in the fridge.....
I would have done as you did. I don't shoot non target animals during the deer-elk season because it's a distraction that lessens the chance of successfully taking the big game. Grouse season coincides with rifle seasons here and the birds are a temptation to hunters. But taking the shot, or shots, disturbs the scene, alerts nearby animals, and the follow up creates noise and odors. I'd also have to carry the extra weight. No thanks, big game season is short enough as it is and being successful often means using every hunting hour productively. And, there's a monetary cost to each of those hours.

That coyote, grouse or whatever will still be available later, I'm there to put venison in the fridge.
Hummer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 14:47   #6
Hummer
Big Member

Just want to say that I appreciate and agree with Sourdough44's argument. It's very reasonable and I don't have a problem with someone taking out a coyote during deer season, it's just not what I would do because I'm singularly focused on hunting big game. Not sure about tree stand hunting but for the still hunting and spot and stalk methods I use, shooting non target animals would be a distraction and waste of time.

It's interesting that Colorado's law requires coyote hunters to have a small game license to hunt coyote year around, EXCEPT that licensed big game hunters can take coyotes in the big game season and area they're licensed for without need for a small game license.
Hummer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 20:23   #7
philpac33

I had the same situation a few years back. Had walked in a few miles behind a locked gate and was coming to the spot my brother had killed an 8.5 year old(biologist took a tongue sample) revert drop-tine blacktail buck a week earlier. Sure enough there was a coyote feeding on what was left of the gut pile. Without thinking I popped it. As the echo rang off down the canyon I realized that was most likely the end of my deer hunting for the day and I still had a long walk out of there. Now I decide beforehand whether or not I'll take that shot if the opportunity presents itself, taking into account my location, time of day, how much season is left, who I'm with, etc.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
philpac33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 20:26   #8
igorts

I would kill it.
S&W TRR8
Glock 29SF G20SF-L G34 G19
igorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 20:34   #9
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

People need to understand living on a farm or ranch is a different story. If your raising chickens, then the coyote would have been dead. You will not spook off the deer with a gun shot as some have siad. If that were the case we would not have a deer on the ranch with all the shooting going on at times.

When it comes to livestock, that trumps the coyote. The deer will still be around. Like someone here said as well, the talking and smokin, and loud human interaction is worse than a gun shot.

Man we can shoot a turkey early morning with a hand gun and full metal jacket through the craw, and in no time here comes a buck/doe. The gun shot ain't nothing compared to peeing and talking and making noise.

If you see mr yote again, and are concerned about your chiken crop, shoot him.

BTW, don't sit around and worry about if ya did right or not....

Good hunting !

CM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7

Last edited by CanyonMan; 11-10-2011 at 14:26..
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 22:40   #10
Fred Hansen
Liberal Bane

Bang!
When change is absolute there remains no being to improve and no direction is set for possible improvement: and when experience is not retained, as among savages, infancy is perpetual. - George Santayana
Fred Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:51   #11
BK63

Where my brother lives in Maine he hunts lots of farms. When the farmers have problems with coyotes killing their chickens he has to switch to damage control and hunt them and he's got a lot of them. They also do a job on the deer population. Once the numbers are down he goes back to deer hunting and the farmers who's land he hunts on are grateful and he goes back year after year. Works out for both of them.
BK63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 15:05   #12
barbedwiresmile
Unreconstructed

Just to clarify guys- I hunt coyote. Just was concerned about screwing up my morning deer hunt. FWIW, I've been kicking myself in the ass ever since. Oh well. Next time I'll take the shot :(

Old 11-10-2011, 16:17   #13
SFCSMITH(RET)

No coyote crosses my path and lives to pee on another tree. Or eat another chicken.

And I agree, a single shot just does not bother deer much. My buddy shot two does last year with his .444 at about 125 yards, one right after the other, the second one hardly even looked up when the one next to it fell.

In early MZLDR season this year, I took a hail mary shot at a doe another buddy wounded, was 147 paces, long way at dawn with open sights and a flintlock. I missed her, but when the smoke cleared enough for me to glass her with my binos, she was just standing there looking at where I was.. then jumped the fence and diappeared into some woods. We looked for 3 hours, never did find her.
SFCSMITH(RET) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:58   #14
barbedwiresmile
Unreconstructed

Kicking myself........

Old 11-11-2011, 13:05   #15
eclark53520

I'm with the standard response here.

Take the shot. Plenty of times I've shot deer and the rest of them just sit there wondering why the other one feel over. Other times they take off like a raped ape...they don't usually go far though. Just to cover, and 30 minutes or so later, they're typically fine.
eclark53520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:40   #16
thejellster05

Send a message via Yahoo to thejellster05
funniest thing..

Ok guys, its thanksgiving and I'm out turkey hunting and reading this thread and I look up and there's a bobcat 15 yards in front of me!! As I shoulder my gun he spooks and runs into the other tree line. I've never seen a bobcat in the wild before! Funny timing too!
thejellster05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:17   #17
K.Kiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough44 View Post
ALWAYS take the coyote shot. The deer will still come by later.

2 years back I was out to burn an anterless tag. After a bit here comes a coyote, about 80 yards. I take him with my scoped M-L. Then I just sit tight. Not 25 min later here comes a doe, not far from where the coyote lays. I added that deer to the pot also. A single gun shot isn't all that alarming to woods critters. It's the talking, high-fiving, & all the rest that cause alert. I've shot multiple deer in one sitting a handful of times, shoot, quietly reload(M-L), & sit tight.

I'm also talking that close in, sure shot, not a 200 yrd hail Mary shot. Of course if the wall-hanger is in sight, I'd hold off too.
I agree... We have lots of wild hog population around here and they are like vacuum cleaners in the woods... We shoot hogs all the time when they come out, and still kill deer short times later in the same area where dead hogs lay... If I were trophy hunting for the larger, older, more reclusive quality bucks then I'd say no... Just for shooting good deer that are normally moving during the days hours for venison, I say smoke the next coyote and I agree with the other about maybe not having repeat shots and alot of human noises...
K.Kiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:58   #18
BierGut

They are also becoming a problem here in NJ and should be eliminated with prejudice. Our sheep will thank you.
Safari Club International

BierGut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 13:02   #19
Two_Clicks

I would have taken the shot...as previously said the one shot won't spoil the rest of the hunt. I was always told the best time to shoot a coyote is when you see them
Two_Clicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 14:09   #20
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

My brother went out behind the ranch house again yesterday, with his youngest son, than the one who's pick I posted here with the small 8 point.

Well he (the boy) fired at a 4 point and missed. My brother was going to move on to the turkey spot, and here comes another big 8 point in the same place within 2-3 minutes... Bang , dead deer.

We see this all the time with deer, or elk (when hunting else where). One shot does not generally ruin a hunt, any more than leaving the gut pile out there in the field. They all show up the next morning. I've even seen them sniff the gut pile. haha.

If i ever get a chance, I'll pop out in the lower canyon and get some meat for the freezer before my btothers kids gets them all ! ha. naw, we got plenty.

Just kidding... I must admit, I thought we would have a horrible year because of 1" of rain in the past year, and a blazing 100 to 114 degrees every day for almost 80 odd days. All water source, ALL of them, are gone. But I was wrong, some deer look scrubby, but for the most part they look real good and fat. They do learn to survive....

Well, just tossed this in the pot while taking a break from the thanksgiving crowd here at the ranch... Love 'em all dearly. 'But' love it when they all go home too... haha.

Happy thanksgiving amigo's

CM

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote