Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-15-2011, 15:59   #1
TexasGlockster

Reliable, Small Revolver Recommendation

Hey Mas, my wife has this crazy ambition to work for the DA's office as a prosecutor. I totally support her in it but she is a small woman and the possibility that one of the bad guys she puts away seeking some payback bothers me (even if it is remote). One my conditions for her pursuing this career path is that she gets her CCW and carries it with her whenever possible (obviously not into the courthouse ). Anyway, long story short, I am in the market for a revolver that has decent stopping power, a low(er) recoil, and is small. We've got a while before the actual purchase (she's still in law school), but I wanted to start doing the research now so that we could get it and train her to be proficient before she actually needs it.

As a secondary question, how do you feel about women who carry in their purse? I realize it adds a variable in terms of draw speed and it seems to me that it would be easier for her to lose the ability to draw her weapon (i.e. if she is separated from her purse), but I don't know if I can get her to carry on her person. Thoughts?

PS...I am going to post a similar thread in Women's Issues (or whatever its called), but I wanted your expert opinion. Thanks.
TexasGlockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 22:08   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

Well, bless her for her commitment to justice!

I agree with you on gun in purse versus attached to her physical person, but if the dress code comes down to purse or nothing, I'd rather she be armed.

Wishing you both the best of luck,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 22:37   #3
TexasGlockster

Any low recoil, small revolvers that you'd recommend? I'm open in terms of caliber. I just want something that packs a reasonable punch that a small woman would be comfortable using.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:25   #4
TexasGlockster

Bump

I know your busy and have been answering a lot of my questions over the past few months. I appreciate and value your expertise (I'm even getting your book for Christmas ). Thoughts on low recoil, small revolvers that you'd recommend? I've had the Rugur LCR in .38 recommended to me as well as the K-framed S&W (I was looking at model 67), but I'm curious as to your recommendations. I've also been convinced that she should at least try out the G-19 and maybe an S&W M&P9 (though personally I didn't like it much). Any thoughts on small semi-auto handguns with perceived recoil?
Old 12-18-2011, 09:53   #5
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

Sorry to be late getting back to you. You didn't mention her hand size. Any of the small revolvers will be more pleasant to shoot with Pachmayr Compacs or equivalent grips that put soft material between the web of her hand and the gripframe. For lighter loads, the .38 Special Midrange Wadcutter target load has its advocates, though most actual shootings with it that I've run across seem to be suicides. The old Federal Nyclad Chief Special 125 grain was the best performing standard pressure .38 Special load I've run across. It's back in production, though with a slightly different bullet configuration.
Still haven't run across a .327 shooting, and .32 Magnumhas thus far been unimpressive.

The compact 9mm semiautos will be much more pleasant to shoot. If she has any trouble working the slide let me know and perhaps I can offer suggestions.

best of luck to you both,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 14:04   #6
TexasGlockster

Thanks!

Tags
concealed carry, revolver, self defense, women