Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:53   #1
UltimateReloader

Glocktalk reloaders - need ideas for my 1st eBook: Loading 45 ACP

Hello all- I wanted to let you all know that I'm working on my first eBook - a comprehensive but light-weight guide to loading 45 ACP.

I am thinking to cover "Loading for 45 ACP Glock models" (covering the lack of bulge for this low-pressure cartridge, polygonal rifling considerations, etc).

Do you have ideas for what would make this guide the best possible reference for 45 ACP loading? Please review my list here:
http://ultimatereloader.com/2011/12/...your-feedback/

And leave a comment if you have feedback. Thanks!

-Gavin
UltimateReloader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:11   #2
Three-Five-Seven
Señor Mombo

Sorry, but I'm not gonna sign up to give you feedback.

If you're really interested in feedback, here goes.

First, case preparation is king for .45 acp competition rounds, or any rounds you wish to work consistently. You must cover the lee bulge buster process, since that's the only available solution to Glock fired brass. And, you must talk about cases checkers, as that's the only insurance that finished rounds will run in the pistol. These two issues are what cause the most problems for new .45 shooters and we spend more time at the line, clearing new guys because of these issues than all other stoppage issues combined.

Second, bullet seating seems to be a consistent problem (uncovered by previously mentioned case checkers). The ogive, or other special design of bullets for this round, makes bullet seating critical. OAL is not the issue with this round, but getting the ogive down, into the round far enough to clear the lands is a consistent issue with stoppages among new shooters.

Third, power factor is a place where guidance is useful. We regularly have guys show up at a two day match who are DQed on the first day because their ammunition doesn't make minimum power factor. So, a discussion that is lucid about computing, AND TESTING, power factor would be helpful to lots of people. Also, under this topic, you should talk about matching the pistol spring rates to various PF rounds.

Loads, barrel length, and most of the other stuff you propose to cover are already beaten to death on the web and elsewhere. If you really intend to be helpful, inform people how they can get rounds that are dimensionally functional at a power factor that is legal, which also runs the gun.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-07-2011, 14:21   #3
UltimateReloader

Three-Five-Seven - thanks for the ideas. I especially appreciate the completeness.

I've already had people suggest competition shooting considerations for 45 ACP, and you've helped me get a start in the right direction for that content.

Regarding "The bulge" - I was under the impression that for Glocks, this issue is mostly a concern for high pressure cartridges like the 40 S&W.

How many of you guys have had bulge issues with 45 ACP?
UltimateReloader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:39   #4
wdphillips

I would suggest covering after market barrels especially when shooting lead. Some folks just will not shoot lead through the Glock factory barrel.

Case sizing through a case gauge or barrel were key components of reloading the .45 ACP for me.

And, don't forget the simplicity of crimping with the bullet seating die!

Vietnam Veteran, NRA Life Member
wdphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 14:05   #5
GhettoSmack

I have had problems with shooting Glock-fired .45ACP reloads through my 1911 ... until I get a full-case resizer (Lee). I don't know if it is a "bulge', per se in .45's. At least not as pronounced as in 9mm. But the .45's shot from Glock barrels are definitely wider.

I think this is because the Glock chambers aren't as tight, which allows the case to expand more than other pistol barrels. The more experienced and knowledgeable guys can chime in here to correct me if I am wrong.
GhettoSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 17:34   #6
Three-Five-Seven
Señor Mombo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoSmack View Post

I think this is because the Glock chambers aren't as tight, which allows the case to expand more than other pistol barrels.
That's my understanding too.
Old 12-11-2011, 18:36   #7
Patrick Graham
Footlong Jr.

This probably won't help but over the years my neighbor and I put more than a thousand rounds of 230gr RNL bullets through his Glock 21 with the stock barrel.

He shot Limited in several USPSA matches using lead and the stock barrel, worked great, not a lot of leading, what few lead streaks that were in the barrel came out easily with a brass brush.

Leading is minimal in the polygon barrel of that gun.

Tags
45acp, ebooks, glock