Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-27-2011, 19:44   #1
Rugar Fan

Ruger 223 Carbine Mini 14

Does anyone know about how many rounds can be fired in the carbine before the firing pin needs replacing using standard commercial ammo? Do the firing pins break that often? I read on another forum that the rifle has to be sent back to the Ruger factory to repair a broken firing pin as it has to be specially fitted in the rifle. Can a reputable gunsmith do it on his own without having to ship it back to the factory? Thanks in advance for your help.
Rugar Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 20:27   #2
Black Smoke Trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugar Fan View Post
Does anyone know about how many rounds can be fired in the carbine before the firing pin needs replacing using standard commercial ammo? Do the firing pins break that often? I read on another forum that the rifle has to be sent back to the Ruger factory to repair a broken firing pin as it has to be specially fitted in the rifle. Can a reputable gunsmith do it on his own without having to ship it back to the factory? Thanks in advance for your help.
I am not aware that this is a big problem. I have had mine for many years.

You can find various disassembly video's on Youtube and publications on diassembly.

Midwestusa sells and after market firing pin that you can install yourself but may require some fitting.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/988...-ruger-mini-14

Hope this helps you get a fix on your firing pin problem.
Old 01-03-2012, 19:22   #3
Rugar Fan

I contacted Ruger customer service, and they indicated that if a firing pin were to break, they would probably would repair it for free. Should go at least 10,000 rounds if no cheap foreign ammo with hard primers are shot. Thanks for your comments. I plan to buy a Mini 14 soon.
Old 01-03-2012, 19:27   #4
TX expat

I better not let my Mini read this thread; I've shot several thousand of the hardest, cheapest primers made in mine!
TX expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 20:07   #5
Rugar Fan

The Mini 30 firing pin is probably more prone to breakage since many of their owners use cheap ammo from foreign manufacturers that have different primers. Mini 14 owners seem to have good access to better quality primers.
Old 01-09-2012, 00:33   #6
m2hmghb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugar Fan View Post
The Mini 30 firing pin is probably more prone to breakage since many of their owners use cheap ammo from foreign manufacturers that have different primers. Mini 14 owners seem to have good access to better quality primers.
To expand upon that I would guess that the berdan ammo plays a big role. With boxer primed ammunition the anvil is in the primer, with berdan ammunition it is punched from within the case. What that means is most likely the anvil of the boxer primed ammunition isn't as strong as the berdan ammunition and therefor puts less strain on the firing pin. Just my thoughts.

The M1 Garand rifle is the best battle implement ever devised by man.
m2hmghb is offline   Reply With Quote