SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:00   #1
silentlope

conversion barrels

Hello,
I want to buy a G27 and along with it a conversion barrel to 9MM. I am considering the LoneWolf offering but I have a couple of questions.

--Is the rifling of the barrel the same as the Glock OEM conversion barrel? From what I read it seems to be different.... but I do not know the implications.
--If not what are the advantages/disadvantages?
--Is there a requirement for swapping out any other components to make the conversion.

I have a G22 so what to be able to carry the same caliber if I choose or do target practice with the 9MM and determine if the recoil characteristics are so much better that I would go with the 9MM as summer carry or a BUG.
silentlope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 15:45   #2
Mr.Reignman

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentlope View Post
Hello,
I want to buy a G27 and along with it a conversion barrel to 9MM. I am considering the LoneWolf offering but I have a couple of questions.

--Is the rifling of the barrel the same as the Glock OEM conversion barrel? From what I read it seems to be different.... but I do not know the implications.
--If not what are the advantages/disadvantages?
--Is there a requirement for swapping out any other components to make the conversion.

I have a G22 so what to be able to carry the same caliber if I choose or do target practice with the 9MM and determine if the recoil characteristics are so much better that I would go with the 9MM as summer carry or a BUG.

--Is the rifling of the barrel the same as the Glock OEM conversion barrel? [B]No.[/B

]From what I read it seems to be different.... but I do not know the implications. The barrel's rifling is different from the Glock OEM. You can fire cast bullets, reloads through the aftermarket barrels.

--If not what are the advantages/disadvantages?For you, being able to shoot 9mm through a .40 call will save $$$ in training simply due to ammo cost but the option again to use cast reloads more effectively is great.

--Is there a requirement for swapping out any other components to make the conversion. Some say you must replace springs, etc however I've seen plenty of people simply change magazines and barrel and function flawlessly.
Mr.Reignman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 17:40   #3
silentlope

Thanks for the info. Does anyone know what Glock's rationale is for using the different type of rifling? Is there some perceived advantage or is it just a cost of production issue?
Old 11-26-2011, 22:56   #4
Mr.Reignman

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentlope View Post
Thanks for the info. Does anyone know what Glock's rationale is for using the different type of rifling? Is there some perceived advantage or is it just a cost of production issue?
to name a few...

Not compromising the barrel's thickness in the area of each groove as with traditional rifling.

Providing a better gas seal around the projectile as polygonal bores tend to have a slightly smaller bore area, which translates into more efficient use of the combustion gases trapped behind the bullet.

slightly greater (consistency in) muzzle velocities and slightly increased accuracy

Less bullet deformation, resulting in reduced drag on the bullet when traveling through the barrel which helps to increase muzzle velocity.

Reduced buildup of copper or lead within the barrel which results in easier maintenance characteristics.

Prolonged barrel life.
Mr.Reignman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 23:38   #5
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

I have only used the 9mm mags in mine with no other changes and no problems at all. You should do some range time before trusting your life to it.

I have had excellent results, also, using the .357 Sig with the .40 mags.

Good luck.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 23:35   #6
silentlope

thanks for the feedback.... Got a bit to think about.. Would do much range practice before carrying for personal defense. Not sure whether i will go for after market or buy a Glock OEM conversion barrel for the conversion. At least now I understand the difference and why the Glock barrel is so much more expensive. Probably will depend on whether I will do any reloading...At this time I just run new brass with FMJ, JHP {SilverTip and the MagTech all copper HP..... I little bit expensive but for now willing to sustain the cost to increase competence.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:50   #7
cdj588

Is a cast bullet the same as plain lead bullet with now jacket?
cdj588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:19   #8
scattershot

A cast bullet IS a plain lead bullet with no jacket. Some lead bullets are swaged from lead wire and formed under pressure, and they are considerably softer than most cast bullets. The lead bullets require some sort of lubrication, whereas the jacketed bullets do not. Hope that helps.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:06   #9
cdj588

Is it ok to shoot lead in other guns with out lubraication? Is this a Glock specific deal? I shot some Ultramax lead bullets through my taurus just fine. It was rediculously dirty but doesnt appear to have hurt anything.
cdj588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 15:51   #10
SC Tiger
Some say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Reignman View Post
to name a few...

Not compromising the barrel's thickness in the area of each groove as with traditional rifling.

Providing a better gas seal around the projectile as polygonal bores tend to have a slightly smaller bore area, which translates into more efficient use of the combustion gases trapped behind the bullet.

slightly greater (consistency in) muzzle velocities and slightly increased accuracy

Less bullet deformation, resulting in reduced drag on the bullet when traveling through the barrel which helps to increase muzzle velocity.

Reduced buildup of copper or lead within the barrel which results in easier maintenance characteristics.

Prolonged barrel life.
For an example - Kahr's high-end pistols (PM9, PM40, etc) use Walther-Lothan barrels with polyagonal rifling like Glock does. Their cheaper ones (P9, CW-series) have standard rifling.
SC Tiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:39   #11
George M.

I just bought a G22 and it has a Glock barrel, logo and S/n, but it appears to have conventional rifling. Lands and grooves. Anybody else have one? George M.
George M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 13:06   #12
RCR

Any body here used a conversion barrel to a .40 in a Glock 29 10MM?
If so any issues and can you use the 10mm Mag and the same recoil spring.
It would be a LOT cheaper and easier to just grab the .40 barrel for the range and getting trigger time with the pistol then swap back to the 10mm barrel for carry. I am using lighter 10mm loads to punch paper ANY way so--.
Also can you guys recommend using any one barrel manufacturer for the conversion?

Last edited by RCR; 04-05-2012 at 13:08..
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote