Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-25-2011, 22:23   #1
TexasGlockster

Gun Safes and Humidity

Hey Mas, I had a couple of questions related to gun safes and while I know that is not your area of expertise I figured someone with your experience and vast knowledge would be a good resource. Feel free to send me in another direction if I am incorrect.

I want to protect my future kids from their own curiosity without sacrificing my ability to quickly access my handgun in a home invasion/emergency situation. I have been doing a lot of research on biometric safes and the one that seems to have the most positive reviews is the Barska Biometric Safe. Have you had any experience with this product or other biometric safes and if so, what did you think of them?

Assuming I get this (or another) safe, I have heard that humidity can be a bullet killer, causing failures to fire in some rounds. Do you know of a good safe dehumidifier I can use that is not rod-based (mainly because the size of safe I am wanting to get won't be big enough for one.)
TexasGlockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:26   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

As you noted, this is not my field of expertise, so just FWIW...

1. Never hurts to put some desiccant such as DampRid in any size gun safe, including the small ones.

2. I've had good luck with Golden Rod in large gun safes.

3. For a quick access home defense pistol safe, I've come to like battery operated units with quick release buttons such as the Gun Vault. Because I don't trust batteriess I want the manual override key always handy on or about the person of the authorized user(s).

4. I'm not personally ready to trust biometrics because I've seen a number of people for whom they do not work. For anyone, there's always the possibility that you'll have to run for the gun after you've been working on your car or in your garden, and grease or dirt may obscure your fingerprints and prevent recognition. The same is true if you've had to fight your way to the gun safe and there is blood all over your hands.

Just one more guy's opinions,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
biometric, dehumidifier, gun safe, safe