Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-17-2011, 16:30   #1
F106 Fan

Free shipping deal

I needed some bullets and shipping tends to cost around $12 or so per thousand. I just happened to stumble into a free shipping deal at Cabela's.

Every little bit helps...

Richard
Old 11-17-2011, 16:50   #2
atakawow

What did you purchase?

"Free" shipping isn't enough to justify the mark up from Cabela's, IMO.

Last edited by atakawow; 11-17-2011 at 16:51..
atakawow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 17:02   #3
ursoboostd

Quote:
Originally Posted by atakawow View Post
What did you purchase?

What he said.
Old 11-17-2011, 18:32   #4
F106 Fan

I just ordered 1000 .45 230 gr FMJ - Winchester bulk - at $159.99. Just something to play with while I try to get a 130 PF load for IDPA ESP. I'm not sure it is even possible to get just 565 fps. Heck, you could watch the bullet travel to the target! Even 165 PF for CDP class only needs to travel a little over 751 fps.

Precision Delta is considerably cheaper but they are out of stock at the moment. Shipping is included at $119.00 per 1000. But 'out of stock' doesn't help me very much. I am assuming it is actually a FMJ, not some plated bullet.

Montana Gold is somewhat higher than Cabela's for FMJ. Their CMJ is even more expensive than their FMJ. I have some of their 9mm CMJs.

In this case, I wasn't interested in cast lead or even plated bullets. Ultimately, I think I will be buying from Precision Delta.

I have a Glock 21SF, a Sig P220 and a Colt Combat Government to keep fed. I haven't decided which to use for IDPA or whether to just go buy a 9mm something or other.

Richard

Last edited by F106 Fan; 11-17-2011 at 18:41.. Reason: spelling, formatting, removed references to MG being plated
F106 Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 18:41   #5
Travclem
Lifetime Membership
Badass Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F106 Fan View Post
I just ordered 1000 .45 230 gr FMJ - Winchester bulk - at $159.99. Just something to play with while I try to get a 130 PF load for IDPA ESP. I'm not sure it is even possible to get just 565 fps. Heck, you could watch the bullet travel to the target! Even 165 PF for CDP class only needs to travel a little over 751 fps.

Precision Delta is considerably cheaper but they are out of stock at the moment. Shipping is included at $119.00 per 1000. But 'out of stock' doesn't help me very much. I am assuming it is actually a FMJ, not some plated bullet.

Montana Gold is somewhat higher than Cabela's for FMJ and I suspect their FMJ is really a plated bullet. Their CMJ is even more expensive than their FMJ. I have some of their 9mm CMJs and they are definitely a plated bullet with a gas check.

In this case, I wasn't interested in cast lead or even plated bullets. Ultimately, I think I will be buying from Precision Delta.

I have a Glock 21SF, a Sig P220 and a Colt Combat Government to keep fed. I haven't decided which to use for IDPA or whether to just go buy a 9mm something or other.

Richard
for the record, PD is jacketed not plated so your assumptions are correct.
Old 11-17-2011, 19:20   #6
BK63

IMO thats crazy money. For just something to play with and plink I shoot lead.
BK63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 19:45   #7
F106 Fan

When I could get Bear Creek Supply bullets with that black lube, I used them exclusively. Even though they are about 60 miles away, they apparently don't do over-the-counter sales to just some-guy-from-up-the-road and I haven't been able to find a dealer. Their bullets are about $80/1000 plus tax and freight.

I have been using S&S cast bullets from Dillon. They cost about $90/1000 (delivered) or about the same as the Bear Creek. But they use that blue lube and that's a huge problem. The vaporized lube gets up under the loaded chamber indicator (LCI) of the SA XD9 and gums it up so that it always indicates a loaded chamber.

Worse, the lube gums up the bullet seating die and, over time, loads keep getting shorter and shorter. That's not the kind of thing you want to deal with when loading 1000 rounds at a time. They should all be the same length.

So, if I pay $119/1000 for Precision Delta, the bullets cost me about 3 cents more and I don't have to disassemble the LCI every 300 or 400 rounds and take the chance of losing that tiny spring. I also skip having to clean the seating dies which is actually a lot harder than it would seem. That lube just doesn't dissolve.

Glock doesn't like lead bullets (or reloads, for that matter) so I have been using FMJ for the Glock and S&S bullets for the Sig and Colts. But I think when I run out of LSWC and LRN bullets, I will just settle on FMJ and let the costs fall where they do. The bullets are easy to handle, they don't have exposed lead (grandson issue) and gun and reloader maintenance are reduced.

Besides, FMJ RN almost never fail to feed.

Richard
Old 11-17-2011, 21:45   #8
njl

Quote:
The price has increased I think about $20/1000 since the last time I ordered, but these are still a better deal (and probably a better bullet)

http://shootersconnectionstore.com/Z...124-P1442.aspx

I've shot these into water, and they actually do open up a bit (and shed the jacket) so they could even reasonably be loaded for more than just target shooting.
Old 11-17-2011, 21:51   #9
michael e

Luckly my bullet guy is only a few miles away and will allow pick ups. I shoot lead and its 75 for 1k 45
michael e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 22:02   #10
ViennaGambit

Quote:
I just ordered 1000 .45 230 gr FMJ - Winchester bulk - at $159.99.
Where on Cabelas do you see this? Linky?
Old 11-17-2011, 22:12   #11
Boxerglocker
Jacks #1 Fan

Quote:
while I try to get a 130 PF load for IDPA ESP. I'm not sure it is even possible to get just 565 fps. Heck, you could watch the bullet travel to the target! Even 165 PF for CDP class only needs to travel a little over 751 fps.
Your not gonna be very competitive in ESP IMO shooting .45 ACP even downloaded to 130 PF. I don't recall anyone shooting a .45 ACP pistol in ESP, other than a couple of SA XD guys. ESP is becoming a L10 Minor division. 80%+ at the match I shoot are shooting ESP with a 1911 platform in 9mm / .40 for the obvious reasons. I'd stick with CDP or SSP if I were you.... just my 2 cents.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BLUE Kool-aid drinking team member
Boxerglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:49   #12
Ceapea

The other day, I used this free shipping deal when ordering a bunch of reasonably priced 22LR ammo. Worked out to be quite a bit cheaper than even wally world.

Last edited by Ceapea; 11-18-2011 at 09:52..
Ceapea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:50   #13
Ceapea

Quote:
Originally Posted by atakawow View Post

The other day, I used this free shipping deal when ordering a bunch of reasonably priced 22LR ammo. Worked out to be quite a bit cheaper than even wally world.

Sorry for the double post!!

Last edited by Ceapea; 11-18-2011 at 09:51..
Ceapea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:44   #14
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
Your not gonna be very competitive in ESP IMO shooting .45 ACP even downloaded to 130 PF. I don't recall anyone shooting a .45 ACP pistol in ESP, other than a couple of SA XD guys. ESP is becoming a L10 Minor division. 80%+ at the match I shoot are shooting ESP with a 1911 platform in 9mm / .40 for the obvious reasons. I'd stick with CDP or SSP if I were you.... just my 2 cents.
I absolutely agree! The 9mm guns dominate IDPA in other than the CDP and revolver classes.

I'm working in the direction of buying a Springfield Armory 9mm 1911 and running in ESP. Maybe after the first of the year.

In the meantime, I'll just keep practicing with a .45 1911 and light loads.

Richard