Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:24   #21
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaquero aleman View Post
I would like to ask the "dumb question". 45 Super can be shot out of a 45 ACP barrel? I don't have to buy a special barrel to put in my G21? Can 45 Super be bought online? It sounds like the people here that are shooting 45 Super are reloading and not buying the ammo from Midway or DT, so I guess that means that I need to find a local gun shop that will reload for me? And, since I will be recieving an LWD 45LTH soon, is the LWD barrel any better than the Glock 45 ACP for shooting 45 Super?
IMHO, If you are shooting 45Super out of a standard Glock21 barrel, you are pushing your luck.

I don't know about the LWD barrel. For shooting 45Super it is all about support. If you look at the photo I posted above, I was shooting the 45Super in an unsupported barrel and I got bulge.

IMHO, If you are going to push the 45Super as hard as possible, you need a compensator.

I believe Buffalo Bore is loading the 45Super so you don't have to find a local person who may or may not be competent to load your ammo, but.......

IMHO,
1. If you want to shoot hot and heavy in a Glock.
2. If you don't reload
3. If you don't want to beat your gun into the ground
4. If you don't want a comp.
Get a G20. Most people are happy with the 10mm.

The G21 with special barrel with comp where you have spent a good bit of time slowly working up loads selecting the correct bullet is the most powerful Glock out there.
Old 02-13-2012, 18:11   #22
vaquero aleman
"ah-lay-mahn"

This is the beginning of my new-to-me Zombie Gun! I plan on starting off with 45 Super and then we will see what happens. At the moment, the only thing mod about her is the 6.61" LWD-21L45TH, a 22# Wolff recoil spring/guide rod and Wilson Combat recoil buffer. She came with Trijicon novac rear and standard front night sights. Now that I'm 49 and can't focus on the sights anymore, I think I'll be looking for some laser action. Isn't that just life! I trade for a G21, luck up and get an OD with decent sights and I can't see the bamn things anymore!

The 21 Club

The 21 Club

The 21 Club

Got an LWD compensator ordered, from glockparts.com LWD was out of stock. This was one of the few(very few) times that in-my-face advertising was a help. I found glockparts.com at the bottom of these posts.
G2930SF, The 21 Club #7663, The 10 Ring #7663, The Bull Dawgs Club #???, US Army Veteran

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by vaquero aleman; 03-26-2012 at 07:31..
vaquero aleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:25   #23
vaquero aleman
"ah-lay-mahn"

Since I enjoy asking these kinds of questions: Has anybody here chronographed Double Tap 45 ACP? I shot some DT 185gn Nosler and Winchester 230gn slowball out of my 6.61" LWD w/22# spring and the DT caused failure to feeds while the Winchester did not, leaving me, as usual, dazed and confused.

The 21 Club

The 21 Club
Dunno if this is clear enough or not, but does this show enough to say wether or not the LWD has the proper support?
G2930SF, The 21 Club #7663, The 10 Ring #7663, The Bull Dawgs Club #???, US Army Veteran

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by vaquero aleman; 02-26-2012 at 16:59..
Old 02-26-2012, 13:38   #24
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

Yes your LW barrel has lots better support. I have a KKM barrel and 500pcs of Starline 45 Super brass, but haven't worked anything up yet.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:38   #25
vaquero aleman
"ah-lay-mahn"

All I need now is ammo!

The 21 Club

The 21 Club

The 21 Club

The 21 Club

***I have put this piece together with the knowledge that I have gained from reading the posts here on GlockTalk. Thanks everybody. All of you were a great help!

Last edited by vaquero aleman; 03-02-2012 at 09:51..
Old 02-29-2012, 11:50   #26
Glock30Eric
.45 ACP

Awesome keep us updated!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Glock30Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 18:22   #27
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Quote:
All I need now is ammo!

The 21 Club

The 21 Club

The 21 Club

The 21 Club

***I have put this piece together with the knowledge that I have gained from reading the posts here on GlockTalk. Thanks everybody. All of you were a great help!
Now THAT is badass....
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 18:59   #28
vaquero aleman
"ah-lay-mahn"

Thanks! I think I might actually keep this one! Ordered me a 24# spring just in case the 22# don't get it done.

Last edited by vaquero aleman; 03-02-2012 at 19:03..
Old 03-06-2012, 11:04   #29
vaquero aleman
"ah-lay-mahn"

I just got back from the local shooting spot and I can say that things were not as I expected. I shot Buffalo Bore 45 Super 185gr JHP through the 6.61" and comp. I had to use my shooting discipline to get shots on target because it was quite snappy. As I do not have a chrony I have to assume that the velocities were what they were supposed to be. I shot about 14 rounds through the barrel/comp without any failures, then I removed the comp to guage the difference and started having failures. In dealing with the FTF's I could not focus on the difference between having or not having the comp. However, when I re-installed the comp, the failures stopped. And then I switched to the Glock barrel and shot some more, without failures, and I was very relieved to see that case bulging was minimal, so now I feel relatively safe having my G21 loaded with 45 Super. Will post pics later.

Last edited by vaquero aleman; 03-08-2012 at 07:37..
Old 03-06-2012, 11:44   #30
PghJim

Without the comp, you may need a stiffer recoil spring. What type of FTF were you having?
PghJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 13:17   #31
vaquero aleman
"ah-lay-mahn"

I would have to say the cartridges were taking a nose dive and failed to get pushed into the chamber. But then, it also seemed like the slide was just not getting pushed back far enough. I have a 22# Wolff recoil spring. There may be something to changing out the magazine spring for a stronger one like some folks have recommended.

Although, there was very minor bulging on the web area of the case and there is a strange indentation, which at first I thought was a crack, but it does not show on the inside of the case.

The 21 Club

The 21 Club
Reminds me of getting a finger jamb from trying to catch a football.

Last edited by vaquero aleman; 03-18-2012 at 21:00..
Old 03-06-2012, 14:20   #32
PghJim

Quote:
I would have to say the cartridges were taking a nose dive and failed to get pushed into the chamber. I have a 22# Wolff spring. There may be something to changing out the magazine spring for a stronger one like some folks have recommended.

Although there was very minor bulging on the web area of the case there is a strange indentation, which at first I thought was a crack, but it does not show on the inside of the case.

The 21 Club

The 21 Club
Reminds me of getting a finger jamb from trying to catch a football.
That is interesting. Is it more a scratch or cut than a dent. It is in the same place. Check the chamber for a ridge. Other than that I would have to say it is done during ejection. Don't know.
PghJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 14:36   #33
vaquero aleman
"ah-lay-mahn"

I think that it is being caused by the propellant pushing the brass into itself, like when a buildings supports fail because of overloading. I am pretty sure it only happened when I had the factory barrel in. Not very many are like that and I only shot about one mag through the factory barrel. I believe that I am going to buy the Jarvis barrel. I read a really technical sounding report, way over my head, that stated the 4140 chrome moly steel used by Jarvis is a superior steel in every way for a gun barrel. I found the report when I was googeling gun barrel steel. Actually it was 416 stainless vs 4140.

Last edited by vaquero aleman; 03-06-2012 at 14:37..
Old 03-06-2012, 14:43   #34
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghJim View Post
That is interesting. Is it more a scratch or cut than a dent. It is in the same place. Check the chamber for a ridge. Other than that I would have to say it is done during ejection. Don't know.
Mark a case with permanent marker. See if this is on the bottom or top or.....?
Old 03-06-2012, 14:44   #35
vaquero aleman
"ah-lay-mahn"

I forgot to mention that the Wilson Combat recoil buffer after only around 100 rounds has started to split in two places. They said it would be good for about 1000 rounds.

The 21 Club

Last edited by vaquero aleman; 03-06-2012 at 15:57..
Old 03-06-2012, 14:45   #36
vaquero aleman
"ah-lay-mahn"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
Mark a case with permanent marker. See if this is on the bottom or top or.....?
The ridge is higher on the bottom side of the case. It kinda seems like the upper portion of the case is being pushed into the lower portion of the case where there is no chamber support.

Last edited by vaquero aleman; 03-06-2012 at 14:48..
Old 03-06-2012, 15:05   #37
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
The ridge is higher on the bottom side of the case. It kinda seems like the upper portion of the case is being pushed into the lower portion of the case where there is no chamber support.
Do you have a way of checking the length of the unfired brass?
If it is too long, it shouldn't fit the chamber and shouldn't fire, but....?

I would also suggest measuring the unfired brass in comparison to fired brass.

I would also suggest shooting a standard 45ACP load to compare how the this particular brass expands with increased pressure.

BTW, I don't know what is going on, I am hoping that by measuring the brass, I will get an idea.
Old 03-06-2012, 15:37   #38
vaquero aleman
"ah-lay-mahn"

Unfortunately I do not have an outside micrometer. But I can say that it is new Starline 45 Super brass loaded by Buffalo Bore. I just ran another magazine through the Lone Wolf barrel and no problems, all smooth. So I am going to have to assume that the lack of support from the Glock factory barrel is causing the case to crumple just enough to leave a funny line.

The 21 Club

And there is an ever so slight bulge just under each line or "indentation", but not above the line.

I guess that we can call the unsupported area of the case the "subduction zone".

Last edited by vaquero aleman; 03-18-2012 at 21:02..
Old 03-07-2012, 09:51   #39
vaquero aleman
"ah-lay-mahn"

I sent an email to Underwood Ammo Co. and this was the reply:

Ronald,

That is definitely a round we will be releasing. We are currently looking
into test firearms for the 45 Super. May I ask what you use and if you know
of any drop in conversions for either a Glock or a 1911?

Thanks!
Kevin

So, things are definately moving in a positive direction for 45 Super!

Last edited by vaquero aleman; 03-07-2012 at 09:53..
Old 03-07-2012, 16:37   #40
BOOSTED12A
sequestered!

nice!