Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-10-2013, 17:32   #1
mikechine

j-frame safe if dropped?

My wife carries a j-frame in her purse. It is in a zippered side pocket designed for this purpose.

Her boss is a 'gun guy' and is ok with it in the office. After a casual conversation and her showing it to settle a debate on its caliber, he removed the round under the hammer and then said it was 'safer'. She now has a loose round and a four shot revolver.

I'm a little perplexed. I don't want to make waves as he does allow it in the office and this keeps her from handling the gun daily just to go to work.

My question is about the gun and its construction. Does the s&w 442 have some kind of hammer blocking device to prevent firing if the gun is dropped? Their website offers no clue.

Anyone here carry their j-frame with an empty chamber?
Old 01-10-2013, 17:41   #2
4Rules

He is ignorant (but she doesn't have to tell him that).
The hammer cannot contact the primer unless the trigger is pulled.

Last edited by 4Rules; 01-10-2013 at 17:42..
4Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 17:43   #3
DeLo

It's drop safe. Don't restrict your shots from 5 to 4 by not having a chamber loaded. Gun guy or not, no one handles my carry.

Last edited by DeLo; 01-10-2013 at 17:43..
DeLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 17:50   #4
Just_Me

Reload that round and don't hand him a gun anymore. As a "gun guy" he should know that guns in holsters don't go off.
Just_Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 17:51   #5
Just_Me

Also please teach him how double action works.
Just_Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 18:19   #6
mikechine

DeLo-
Are you saying that mechanically, the hammer cannot contact the round if the gun is dropped? That it is somehow blocked until the trigger is pulled?

I realize that carry edict 101 was breached when she showed the gun to him. But now moving forward, just wondering about the construction details of the gun.
Old 01-11-2013, 14:26   #7
whitebread
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yes, mechanically the hammer cannot come into contact with primer unless the trigger is pulled.
whitebread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 14:33   #8
casualoffender
JAFO

"to settle a debate on its caliber"? That sounds like he was playing her to get it in his hands. He clearly doesn't know very much about guns.

Last edited by casualoffender; 01-11-2013 at 14:34..
casualoffender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 14:46   #9
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikechine View Post
Her boss is a 'gun guy' and is ok with it in the office. After a casual conversation and her showing it to settle a debate on its caliber, he removed the round under the hammer and then said it was 'safer'. She now has a loose round and a four shot revolver.
Her boss is not a "gun guy" by a long shot.

I think S&W's marketing catch phrase, many, many years ago when ALL revolvers weren't made safe when dropped, was "hammer the hammer" because it's perfectly safe if you do.
Old 01-11-2013, 14:47   #10
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikechine View Post
DeLo-
Are you saying that mechanically, the hammer cannot contact the round if the gun is dropped? That it is somehow blocked until the trigger is pulled?

I realize that carry edict 101 was breached when she showed the gun to him. But now moving forward, just wondering about the construction details of the gun.
Go to the S&W site and look the gun up. Ask yourself a question,

"If there was a danger of the gun discharging if dropped, in today's litigious society, don't you think there would be warnings all over the site?"

TRY and Google accidents from them being dropped.

"Gun guy" my ****. that model has been perfectly safe with full cylinder since the day it was introduced. Tell him to pound sand.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 18:31   #11
Chup

I would never say a word to her boss. Put the round back in the gun. It's called a Hammer Block Safety, I think, it's a little lever that moves up as the trigger is pulled to make contact with the firing pin. When the trigger is at rest nothing comes in contact with the firing pin and the gun will not fire. For example, before a gun can be sold in California it must pass a drop test of Two Stories. I herd it cost Gun Company a lot of money for the test and some of the smaller Company's don't or can't sell there.

Last edited by Chup; 01-11-2013 at 18:32..
Chup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 20:12   #12
mikechine

Thanks everyone for their replies and expertise. We have already put that round back in. I'm sure he didn't mean much by it.
Old 02-16-2013, 14:35   #13
ArtCrafter
¤Hocker Mocker¤

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post

...I think S&W's marketing catch phrase, many, many years ago when ALL revolvers weren't made safe when dropped, was "hammer the hammer" because it's perfectly safe if you do.

'It's the thought that counts...'

The Snubbie Club

ArtCrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 14:49   #14
Batesmotel

In some revolvers this is an issue. Usually older designs. This is not a problem on a J-frame.
Old 02-28-2013, 00:05   #15
gunsmoke92

Glad to hear you have that 5th round back where it belongs.

Leaving an empty chamber under the hammer was common practice with the early single action revolvers, as the firing pin was fixed to the hammer. There was nothing to prevent the firing pin from contacting the primer if the gun was dropped or something struck the unprotected hammer.

Today's revolvers, such as your Wife's, use a transfer bar or firing pin block system. They either block the firing pin until the trigger is pulled, withdrawing the block and allowing the hammer to strike the firing pin, or move the transfer bar into position so the impact of the falling hammer is transferred to the firing pin via that bar.

It's nice that her boss allows her to exercise her rights, but concealed carry is just that, and nobody should know anything other than she has a purse.
S&W Club #92, Snubbie club #92, The 21 Club #92
gunsmoke92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 00:49   #16
ScottieG59

Here is a video from Larry Potterfield of MidwayUSA explaining the 3 Smith & Wesson internal safeties:

There are quite a few people who think they know things the do not. Some may apply knowledge of one gun to another. It was common for the Colt 1873 to be loaded down a round so the hammer can be on a empty cylinder.

With modern drop safe weapons, the trick is not to try catching it as it falls. Murphey's Law says you will grasp the trigger trying to catch the gun.

Not all my guns are drop safe, but the ones I carry are.

Last edited by ScottieG59; 02-28-2013 at 00:57..
ScottieG59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:53   #17
Glockbuster

Does he know how far the hammer has to accidentaly travel back for it to have meaningful force on the primer ?

Does he even know what would happen to the empty chamber now that the hammer has traveled back that far ?

What about the drop safety ?

Gun guy ? maybe 50 years ago.

Last edited by Glockbuster; 03-19-2013 at 09:56..
Glockbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:08   #18
ArtCrafter
¤Hocker Mocker¤

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockbuster View Post

Does he know how far the hammer has to accidentaly travel back for it to have meaningful force on the primer ?

Does he even know what would happen to the empty chamber now that the hammer has traveled back that far ?

What about the drop safety ?

Gun guy ? maybe 50 years ago.

Fifty years ago, most people could add two and two and actually come up with four.

Who'da thunk it?
ArtCrafter is offline   Reply With Quote