Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:00   #1
TexasGlockster

Self-Defense Ammuniton

I recently have purchased a Gen 4 G17 primarily for the purpose of home defense but also because I enjoy range shooting. I have been doing a lot of research into what type of 9mm ammo to use for home defense but I thought it best to take this question to someone who knows much more about it than I.

This article is perhaps the best posted research on the subject I have seen but I wondered about its practicality in the real world.

I've read that higher (127+) gr weight hollow points are a good direction to go. I first was really interested in the Winchester Ranger-T 127 gr JHP +P+ but I've seen some really negative performance reports on this ammo lately, usually related to poor expansion. Now I am looking at Speer Gold Dot 124gr JHP +P. While its smaller than I was hoping (and I still might move up to the Speer Gold Dot 145gr JHP), I have heard good things about its reliability and effectiveness.

Thoughts on either of these ammunitions? Ideas about other good self defense ammos?
TexasGlockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:02   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

If you've seen any negative results with 127 grain +P+ Winchester Ranger that come from the street instead of home YouTube ballistic testing, please let me know...because I haven't seen that. It's working famously well in the field.

The Speer Gold Dot +P 124 grain 9mm has earned an excellent reputation on the street from New York City to Las Vegas Metro, and is high on my own recommended list.

best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ammo, ammunition, self-defense, self-defense ammo