SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:06   #1
unit1069

Value of Once-Fired Brass

Hi all,

I have collected quite a bit of 9mm brass from the factory rounds I've shot, and a lesser amount of .357sig brass.

Can some of you tell me a ballpark monetary value for 100 casings of each caliber? I have been thinking of reloading for a while but have never gotten around to it and now I'm thinking I might just sell the brass if it's feasible.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:17   #2
XDRoX

About $50 per thousand shipped. The 9mm a little less.
XDRoX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:20   #3
shotgunred
reloading nut

I normally pay between $25 to 35 a K for 9MM.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:23   #4
michael e

The place around here that sells sorted brass is 1k 9mm 35 , local range here sales by the pound. It's really cheap but you have to dig threw the trash can and find the calibers you want. Only time I will do that is if they range officer tells me someone just threw away alot of the odd calibers I shoot, and thats very very rare.
michael e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 18:09   #5
unit1069

Thanks for the info, everyone. I guess I'll just hang onto what I have and maybe someday I'll get off my butt and make the investment in reload equipment.

I've always wondered why the NRA and other local gun clubs don't offer reloading courses. It would be a great way to advance the community of shooters.
Old 10-23-2011, 18:34   #6
WiskyT
Malcontent

The NRA does have a reloading course. A $25.00 book will tell you all you need to know to make pistol ammo if you are careful enough not to overdose on too much internet wisdom.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 18:46   #7
michael e

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
The NRA does have a reloading course. A $25.00 book will tell you all you need to know to make pistol ammo if you are careful enough not to overdose on too much internet wisdom.
Reading the books is the most important part, I read the books a few times. Then had my dads friend that had loaded for years go over everything with me and walk me threw it all. The internet is a good place for the info, but not the only place you need to look.
michael e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 19:32   #8
ron59
Bustin Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post
Thanks for the info, everyone. I guess I'll just hang onto what I have and maybe someday I'll get off my butt and make the investment in reload equipment.

I've always wondered why the NRA and other local gun clubs don't offer reloading courses. It would be a great way to advance the community of shooters.
I find it a little ironic that your sig line says "rocket scientist", then you think you need a class or something to learn reloading? Bottleneck cases such as your .357SIG or rifle is a little complicated, but pistol like 9mm, .40, .45ACP couldn't be simpler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRZrbv_8kx4
The first video of 5. Each 10 minutes long. This is Dillon 550B specific, but he shows how to do *everything*, the concepts would even apply to a single stage press, or an LCT, or a Hornady LNL.

The only thing he doesn't show is cleaning the brass. Buy a tumbler and some media (corncob/walnut), throw the media and some brass in the tumbler and run it for an hour... clean brass.

Once you know how to operate the press, you just need to choose a powder that's popular with your caliber (WSF/WST would work great for your 9mm, lots of others as well), get a "recipe" from the powder manufacturer, loading manual, etc... and work up a load. That "sounds" complicated but isn't.

If you shoot with any regularity, you should be reloading.

Quote:
WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!

Last edited by ron59; 10-23-2011 at 19:33..
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 21:25   #9
freakshow10mm
10mm Advocate

9mm is $20-25/K shipped.

40 is $25-30/K shipped.

45 is double the .40 shipped at $50-60/K.

357 SIG is same as 40.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
freakshow10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 21:54   #10
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post

Everyone wants to reload to 'save money'. Well, I'm here to tell you, you won't save a dime reloading!

Sure, the cost per shot will be half or less but then, because you are saving so much money on each shot, you'll just shoot 3 or 4 times as much and you'll wind up spending twice as much as you did before.

Maybe you'll get into competition and shoot up 500 rounds a week on practice and 200 rounds or more for the event. Yup! It used to be you might buy a box or two at Wally World, shoot it up and call it a good day. Now, all of a sudden, you're looking for 50 cal ammo cans to haul your output. And a chiropractor because 1200 rounds of 45 ACP in a 50 cal can weights a TON!

It just works like that!

I believe our local gun club has an annual reloading event where folks bring reloaders and make a party out of it. I suppose there is a certain amount of coaching available.

I really believe the reloading manuals and handbooks have every bit of information you need. Most straight-wall pistol cartridges are simple to reload. High precision rifle ammo is somewhat more involved.

Richard
F106 Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 21:59   #11
ron59
Bustin Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by F106 Fan View Post
Everyone wants to reload to 'save money'. Well, I'm here to tell you, you won't save a dime reloading!

Sure, the cost per shot will be half or less but then, because you are saving so much money on each shot, you'll just shoot 3 or 4 times as much and you'll wind up spending twice as much as you did before.

Maybe you'll get into competition and shoot up 500 rounds a week on practice and 200 rounds or more for the event. Yup! It used to be you might buy a box or two at Wally World, shoot it up and call it a good day. Now, all of a sudden, you're looking for 50 cal ammo cans to haul your output. And a chiropractor because 1200 rounds of 45 ACP in a 50 cal can weights a TON!

It just works like that!
I'll agree with the bolded statement, but think you're exaggerating somewhat with the rest.

Yes, I do not save money. However, I do have a "budget" for ammo, and reloading lets me shoot almost twice as much than if I bought factory. Just because it's cheaper, doesn't mean I'm going to spend 3-4 times as much. My budget is what it is. I imagine this is the same for most people.

Quote:
WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 22:58   #12
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron59 View Post
I'll agree with the bolded statement, but think you're exaggerating somewhat with the rest.

Yes, I do not save money. However, I do have a "budget" for ammo, and reloading lets me shoot almost twice as much than if I bought factory. Just because it's cheaper, doesn't mean I'm going to spend 3-4 times as much. My budget is what it is. I imagine this is the same for most people.

Clearly, I said most of it in jest! Sort of...

A long time ago I bought a single stage RCBS loader. Loading 100 rounds was a big deal. Shooting 100 rounds seemed like a lot.

Then I started shooting IPSC (local level only) and had to start reloading on a massive scale. I added a PW Metal-Matic which increased production somewhat but then I got the 550. That's when it started getting expensive.

With my grandson starting to shoot Action Pistol and probably moving toward IDPA and my shooting along with him, we go through an amazing amount of ammo. If he wants to shoot, I'll provide the ammo.

Richard
F106 Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:47   #13
heehaw

I load 9mm 1000 at a time (single stage). I find myself shooting less now, because of the amounth of work put into each round. Still I spend quite a bit of income on ammunition components.
heehaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:07   #14
George H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heehaw View Post
I load 9mm 1000 at a time (single stage). I find myself shooting less now, because of the amounth of work put into each round. Still I spend quite a bit of income on ammunition components.

That is why I am going to buy a progressive soon.
George H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:40   #15
Shadyscott69
GT Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow10mm View Post
9mm is $20-25/K shipped.

40 is $25-30/K shipped.

45 is double the .40 shipped at $50-60/K.

357 SIG is same as 40.
What is the going rate for 38 super. I recently acquired about 5-7k rounds.
Shadyscott69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:20   #16
freakshow10mm
10mm Advocate

I'd put it even with the .45 prices.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
freakshow10mm is offline   Reply With Quote