SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-13-2011, 18:53   #1
Ummagumma

Stock (plastic) sights - front sight a bit crooked

Hi,

I have a brand new G17 Gen 3. Took it to the firing range for the first time on Saturday, fired some 160 shots or so. I was very pleased with accuracy (at 25 yards and being a very inexperienced first time shooter, I hit the target with almost every bullet). Did have two issues. First, the locking block pin walked off on the right side, by about 3-4mm. I pushed it in, and it seems to be secure now - will see how the next range session goes.

The second issue is this. When I was aiming I realized the front sight looked a bit tilted to the left, as if it was just slightly non-level on the slide. Looking at it at home, I now realize it's more likely that the front sight is not parallel to the slide, i.e. it's just a tad rotated around the screw that's holding it in place, and that makes it look tilted on one side when I take aim.

This is a very small discrepancy, may be half a millimeter off. I would try to gently rotate it with small needlenose pliers, but I'm afraid to break something - I don't know how the bottom of the sight looks like. Is there some base inside a slide, like a peg ? Or is the bottom flat ?

Also, is it possible that it was sighted this way & moving it would screw things up ? Normally I would think the front sight must be parallel to the slide and the small adjustment won't impact accuracy - but I know nothing about how the handguns are sighted. Thanks !
Ummagumma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 21:23   #2
JR
GT Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to JR Send a message via Yahoo to JR
The sight you have is plastic and is steaked on. Use a set of plyers and turn it around where you like it, no worries. When you tire of plastic sights take a look at real target sights here http://bit.ly/kS76ZC or real night sights here http://bit.ly/jBqT9C