GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:11   #61
Jitterbug

Nick's deer jerky got me thinking about shooting one, but, I just couldn't pull it off this year.
Jitterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 21:28   #62
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
And I WILL get my story and pics posted. By or before this weekend, promise. Should be worth the wait!!!!
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 21:34   #63
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

Congrats Nick! Looking forward to the report!
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 23:57   #64
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegs View Post
Thanks CM, Had venison steak last night w/my wife. Quite tasty. Lots of work in between butchering, but freezer is full now, so we're good for 2 months at least in terms of meat.

Hope everything is nice down there in the longhorn state.

Best,
Kegs

You are more than welcome amigo! You earned it.

I had a really cool note wrote up here and it all just vanished when I hit the button !

How are things here you ask ?

We've had 1" of rain here in a year. The fires have almost took out the ranch. Many ranches are toast all around us, and most all live stock has had to be sold off. No water at all !

My brother took his little boy out behind the ranch house here the other day and he did manage to cull out a small 8 point on his first true "still hunting experience." My brother was more excited that his son.. ha.

The fires and the drought has been beyond description. I don't even know where these deer are getting the water. I tell you, there is NO water here. But they manage, and so will we as well. its a hard country, and you grow up havin to deal with many hard things, and we will get through all this.

Nick I' going to post that deer pic and ONE fire pic that was on top of us, before the Gov got the helo's out here finally, and a cajillion fire fighters, thank God for them, and after a week or so got it out (for now), if ya want me to pull the pics let me know amigo, no problem. Hope ya won't mind.

The 10 Ring

The 10 Ring

Again, Kegs, and all you guys 'good work', good hunting !
congrats Kegs, and good eating to y'all.

CM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7

Last edited by CanyonMan; 11-18-2011 at 00:00..
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:13   #65
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Okay guys,

This will not be a long and detailed post like I was originally going to do. There is just too much info to tell and I've got some family and work issues going on that is taking my time up so this brief story will have to work.

My 3rd handgun deer!! And my 3rd 10mm deer!!

I got this little yearling buck about 740am on the 2nd day of firearms season. It was a relatively warm morning with blustery winds (up to 40mph later that day) and I'd been still hunting through a nice saddle against the wind through an ecotone of pines to hardwoods. Took a rest at the base of a tree to break up my outline and this guy came by around half an hour later.

Took two shots at him at around 10-12 yards max. The first entered through his left shoulder and exited his right front neck, no bullet recovered. Second shot was as he fell to his "knees" for a brief minute.... Second shot hit about an inch beside first shot and I found it lodged by the spine in one of the backstraps (booo!!!!).

Load used was a carefully handloaded 200gr XTP at 1300fps. Again, I was surprised that both shots didn't exit. My guess is that either 1) the bullet hitting a bit of hard bone stopped full penetration or 2) the excess speed on the bullet slowed penetration. From the looks of the bullet, excess expansion wasn't an issue. This pretty much sealed the deal for me. I'll be using a WFNGC hardcast next season to test its performance. I need to work up a HC load for accuracy, anyways.

For all those interested, I have detailed pics of the bullet damage when I was dressing/skinning the deer. The two 200gr XTP's had a bomb-like entrance cavity in the deer. Exit wound on the one bullet was decent but, due to its exit LOCATION, wasn't the size of the entrance wound.

Good job on the deer, Kegs! ... and everyone else! And good luck to those still hunting!

First test target the day before opening day... offhand at 15 yards. "warm up"
The 10 Ring

Deer down!
The 10 Ring

Happy camper!
The 10 Ring

Bullet
The 10 Ring

Fusion in the field
The 10 Ring
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”

Last edited by nickE10mm; 11-19-2011 at 13:47..
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:50   #66
Jitterbug

Nice report and good shooting Nick!
Old 11-18-2011, 14:16   #67
Kegs
Ol 8 fingers ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
I might have missed it, but did you recover the bullet?
I took a metal detector out there today and tried twice (unsuccessfully) to find the bullet. I think it must have had a lot more steam left in it.
Old 11-18-2011, 14:28   #68
arushus
Biggest Member

Quote:
I took a metal detector out there today and tried twice (unsuccessfully) to find the bullet. I think it must have had a lot more steam left in it.
If somebody had told me a 135gr nosler hp would have behaved this way when it struck a deer, and still had enough left to keep going far enough to be unrecoverable even with a metal detector, I really wouldnt have ever believed it. I would have said you were dumb if you think a 135gr nosler would do much more than blow up after striking flesh...
Spike's Tactical Enhanced CHF 16" Mid-Length M4
These Red Letters Help me find my post!!!
arushus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 14:29   #69
Kegs
Ol 8 fingers ;)

Nick - awesome report and congrats - very cool that you were able to get that bullet - and would like to see bullet performance pics when you get the time - just pvt. msg. or put those pics up or whatever you want.

That fusion is super, super sweet. I wish I had one exactly like it in a commander length. Can't do it now - maybe sometime in the future...
Old 11-18-2011, 14:35   #70
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickE10mm View Post
Okay guys,

This will not be a long and detailed post like I was originally going to do. There is just too much info to tell and I've got some family and work issues going on that is taking my time up so this brief story will have to work.

I got this little yearling buck about 740am on the 2nd day of firearms season. It was a relatively warm morning with blustery winds (up to 40mph later that day) and I'd been still hunting through a nice saddle against the wind through an ecotone of pines to hardwoods. Took a rest at the base of a tree to break up my outline and this guy came by around half an hour later.

Took two shots at him at around 10-12 yards max. The first entered through his left shoulder and exited his right front neck, no bullet recovered. Second shot was as he fell to his "knees" for a brief minute.... Second shot hit about an inch beside first shot and I found it lodged by the spine in one of the backstraps (booo!!!!).

Load used was a carefully handloaded 200gr XTP at 1300fps. Again, I was surprised that both shots didn't exit. My guess is that either 1) the bullet hitting a bit of hard bone stopped full penetration or 2) the excess speed on the bullet slowed penetration. From the looks of the bullet, excess expansion wasn't an issue. This pretty much sealed the deal for me. I'll be using a WFNGC hardcast next season to test its performance. I need to work up a HC load for accuracy, anyways.

For all those interested, I have detailed pics of the bullet damage when I was dressing/skinning the deer. The two 200gr XTP's had a bomb-like entrance cavity in the deer. Exit wound on the one bullet was decent but, due to its exit LOCATION, wasn't the size of the entrance wound.

Good job on the deer, Kegs! ... and everyone else! And good luck to those still hunting!

First test target the day before opening day... offhand at 15 yards. "warm up"
The 10 Ring

Deer down!
The 10 Ring

Happy camper!
The 10 Ring

Bullet
The 10 Ring

Fusion in the field
The 10 Ring

Very good job Nick ! Congrats...

PM me when ya can and I will give you the best three sources for the Hard Cast bullets, which as ya know by now is 98% of all I shoot and have shot all my life for hunting. (if ya want to).

Again, good story and good shot !

Stay safe.

CM

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7

Last edited by CanyonMan; 11-18-2011 at 14:36..
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 14:55   #71
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Probably still in orbit.

Thanks for trying.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 16:19   #72
Jitterbug

Keg's 135 Nosler load...I don't know Tater, I think it may have escaped Earth's gravity altogether...
Old 11-18-2011, 16:53   #73
harley45

I'm just amazed at the 135 grain performance!
harley45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 17:11   #74
glock20hunter

Hey guys, ] just discovered this site and I'm excited to find such great 10mm info. Ill be in my stand tomorrow with my Glock 20 loaded with 180gr JHP Buffalo Bore loads. I've been hunting one particular deer this year and had him at 40yds but I ran out of light and never got a shot.

Hopefully tomorrow he will show!

There have been some great pics, stories, and info in this thread. Hopefully I can contribute.

Here is the one I'm afterf
The 10 Ring
glock20hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 21:08   #75
glock20hunter

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and extremely happy to find a place for 10mm deer hunters! I will be in my stand tomorrow with my Glock 20 loaded with 180gr Buffalo Bore. I'm hunting a specific buck that I have a lot of pics of. I had him at 40yds the other night but ran out of light and never got a shot.I've passed up several nice bucks for this one but tomorrow might be the day!

Good luck everyone. I have enjoyed the pics and stories.
glock20hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 22:15   #76
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

I'm back on in the morning, have a nice little watering hole to post with several beds and trails. Has a 10 acre kneedeep clearing going up the next hill. Wish me luck.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 23:16   #77
TreyG-20
Second2None

Send a message via Yahoo to TreyG-20
Ill be in the stand tomarrow as well with some swampfox 135 grainers. Hope it it wont be as slow as last weekend
Old 11-19-2011, 11:19   #78
Kegs
Ol 8 fingers ;)

Good luck guys!
Old 11-19-2011, 12:32   #79
cigarman454

Congratulations Kegs and NickE10mm nice shooting.
cigarman454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 15:00   #80
21Carrier
Until I Gota 29

Kegs, thanks so much for testing out the 135gr Nosler JHP on real flesh! It's amazing to see that it achieved full penetration! If you had to guess, how many inches of penetration would you say, about 12-16"? I'm guessing it held together because it was a lung shot. Lung tissue contains a lot of air, and should limit expansion. Still, it's pretty amazing that the little Nosler made it all the way through. It's good to hear that it was a clean, one-shot kill. I guess it's just proof that it's hard to test a bullet when you're using homogenous substances like water and wax. An animal's body is nowhere near homogenous. Your Nosler went through hair, skin, muscle, a mixture of lung tissue and air, then a rib and more skin/hair. Not exactly a water filled jug!

More testing is in order! If you can take another, I hope you use another 135gr Nosler JHP. If I get the chance this season, I'll be using a 135gr Nosler at 1700-1800fps from the G20LS. I really hope I get the chance. The more data we have, the better.

Last edited by 21Carrier; 11-19-2011 at 15:01..
21Carrier is offline   Reply With Quote