Home Forums Classifieds GT Store Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Today, 02:59   #1
RagnarDanneskjold
Senior Pirate
 
RagnarDanneskjold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Behind the Tofu Curtain
Posts: 9,082
Blog Entries: 2
Anybody hyper-savvy on AZ's Constitutional Carry?

I was talking to a friend today, she asked some questions to which I didn't know the answer, and my Google-Fu has not turned up a cogent set of answers.

In AZ, specifically:

Does constitutional carry allow carry of any weapon, or just firearms and certain others? Are there any that may not be carried? I note brass knuckles may be owned, can they be carried? Black jacks, switchblades, etc.? Batons?

I also noted that Phoenix had some municipal regulations on this, does the State preemption cover other weapons, or just firearms?

I haven't found anywhere that sets out all the laws clearly, maybe someone who's had AZ's permit course lately can give me a fast rundown?
__________________
"The nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides, Greek Historian
RagnarDanneskjold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:18   #2
FourthPointOfContact
Senior Member
 
FourthPointOfContact's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagnarDanneskjold View Post
Does constitutional carry allow carry of any weapon, or just firearms and certain others? Are there any that may not be carried? I note brass knuckles may be owned, can they be carried? Black jacks, switchblades, etc.? Batons?
From what I remember....
Definitely not 'any weapon'; NFA, nunchuks, bombs, breakable containers of certain flammable liquids, silencers are all prohibited. I don't think swords, halberds, or morning stars are mentioned.
Butterfly knives, switchblades, gravity blades are all legal as well as any blade length

Quote:
I also noted that Phoenix had some municipal regulations on this, does the State preemption cover other weapons, or just firearms?
13-3108 Firearms regulated by state
A. Except as provided in subsection C of this section, a political subdivision of this state shall not enact any ordinance, rule or tax relating to the transportation, possession, carrying, sale, transfer or use of firearms or ammunition or any firearm or ammunition components in this state.

13-3120. Knives regulated by state; state preemption; definitions
A. Except as provided in subsections C and D, a political subdivision of this state shall not enact any ordinance, rule or tax relating to the transportation, possession, carrying, sale, transfer, purchase, gift, devise, licensing, registration or use of a knife or knife making components in this state.
Two things to be aware of...

ARS 13-3102 L.
If a law enforcement officer contacts a person who is in possession of a firearm, the law enforcement officer may take temporary custody of the firearm for the duration of that contact.
A court ruled that it applied to 'voluntary/consensual contact' as well as detention or arrest, although that contradicts N.1. of the same ARS.
How long you allow the 'voluntary/consensual contact' to last under said condition is up to you.

Any person with a concealed carry permit issued under 13-3112 is required to present the permit for inspection to any law enforcement officer on request. (Which is kind of odd considering that AZ no longer requires a permit, but if you have one you have to show it, it seems).
__________________
"To learn who rules over you, simply find who you are not allowed to criticize" -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by FourthPointOfContact; Today at 06:40..
FourthPointOfContact is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:00   #3
RussP
Moderator
 
RussP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 46,296
Blog Entries: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagnarDanneskjold View Post
I was talking to a friend today, she asked some questions to which I didn't know the answer, and my Google-Fu has not turned up a cogent set of answers.

In AZ, specifically:

Does constitutional carry allow carry of any weapon, or just firearms and certain others? Are there any that may not be carried? I note brass knuckles may be owned, can they be carried? Black jacks, switchblades, etc.? Batons?

I also noted that Phoenix had some municipal regulations on this, does the State preemption cover other weapons, or just firearms?

I haven't found anywhere that sets out all the laws clearly, maybe someone who's had AZ's permit course lately can give me a fast rundown?
Send GT member Sam Spade a private message and ask him to respond to your post. He teaches AZ CWP course.

Here is the link to HandGunLaw.com's Arizona page. It's a good place to get up to date information.
__________________
Freedom has a taste to those who fight and almost die, that the protected will never know.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 15:19.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds
GT Store


Users Currently Online: 1,164
341 Members
823 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31