Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-25-2011, 02:47   #1
toshbar
Timber Baron

Glock Adjustable Sights

are JUNK.

Picked up a new 24 yesterday and took it out to shoot it before today's 3 gun.
It shot high and left, so I cranked(yes, that is a technical term) the rear sight to the right and discovered (through about a 6 degree turn of the elevation screw) that the rear sight was as low as possible. Group was centered, but ~4" high @ 25 yards. Very tight groups I might add from unsupported.

Today at the match it ran same 4" high for the first stage(~35 rounds), but halfway through the 2nd stage(~another 15 rounds), it switched from high to low. Now it is about 4" low. Yesterday, I was putting my target right above the front sight, now it hits the area covered by the white dot of the front sight.

Bottom Line:
I need some nicer sights anyway. What do you guys recommend for competition? I'd really like some fine adjustable ones like came factory on my Ruger Mkiii. I want a fiber up front, but because of the slide milling, it will stick out over the hole in the top of the slide so I guess I'll go with a regular one with a bright colored dot, or get some bright red hooker nail polish and paint it.
2 4 R

toshbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 03:14   #2
Sniff

Dawson adjustable are very nice.

You will need a .285 to .300" tall front sight though.

Sniff
Sniff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:19   #3
MrVvrroomm

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshbar View Post
are JUNK.
...yup

Certified Glock Armorer
MrVvrroomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:24   #4
toshbar
Timber Baron

I see on their site that one model rear sight requires either a .285 or .300 and another needs a .335" front.

Which one do I want?
2 4 R

Old 09-25-2011, 08:32   #5
toshbar
Timber Baron

And if I'm going to shell out $115 bucks for Dawson adj. rear with fiber front, would the Meprolight adjustable night sights not be a better choice for $9 more?
2 4 R

Old 09-25-2011, 15:50   #6
emore

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshbar View Post
And if I'm going to shell out $115 bucks for Dawson adj. rear with fiber front, would the Meprolight adjustable night sights not be a better choice for $9 more?
I'm willing to bet that the actual adjustable rear sight part is the same as the Dawson except for the dots on each side. Whichever sight picture you prefer should make your decision. I went with the plain black front and rear adjustable Dawsons on my G24 and I'm very pleased with the setup. (actually, I've moved the set to my G34 and am still very pleased)
I doubt you would regret either route.
Good luck.
Old 09-25-2011, 22:03   #7
toshbar
Timber Baron

I just ordered the Dawson fiber adjustable match rear along with the fiber .300" front that has a shorter profile for the 17L/24.

I tried not to look at price. For that, I could have loaded up 1500 rounds of .40.
2 4 R

Last edited by toshbar; 09-25-2011 at 22:11..
Old 09-25-2011, 22:26   #8
Sniff

Quote:
Originally Posted by emore View Post
I'm willing to bet that the actual adjustable rear sight part is the same as the Dawson except for the dots on each side. Whichever sight picture you prefer should make your decision. I went with the plain black front and rear adjustable Dawsons on my G24 and I'm very pleased with the setup. (actually, I've moved the set to my G34 and am still very pleased)
I doubt you would regret either route.
Good luck.
No the Dawsons and Meprolights are are different sights.

I had a set of Meprolights on a Glock 35 I brought second hand.

They had a quite wide post at the front and U at the rear. I didn't like them as much as the Dawsons and replaced them with fixed Sevigney sights.
Sniff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 20:12   #9
toshbar
Timber Baron

Well, the Dawsons got here. Low and behold they're made by TruGlo under license from Dawson. Going to put them on if I can find some thread locker.
2 4 R

Old 09-29-2011, 21:12   #10
toshbar
Timber Baron

Got em on finally.

The factory sights pretty much fell off as soon as I put tools up to them. The front nut was barely tight and the rear sight came out with 2 medium taps with a hammer. Pathetic.

After I put them on, the rear leaf that swivels wouldn't smoothly swing up and down, so I had to extensively file the sides so it would fit in between the ears of the sight base. I also had to heavily file the dovetail so I could whack it into the slide.

The tools supplied are extremely handy. It came with a nut driver for the front, delrin tipped punch for drifting the rear sight, allen wrench for the rear set screws, and a small flat blade screwdriver with pocket clip for adjusting the sights in the field. I didn't already have a nut driver for the front, so I would have had to wait a week or two to use a buddy's. I just used some channel lock pliers with a rag to press over the rear sight, which is what I did with the tru-glo TFOs on my other gun. I got the rear sight within .002" of being centered, which is more than precise enough.

For initial adjustment, I put the front fiber and rear fiber the same height above the slide(0.300").

My Serpa is going to need a little bit of surgery to the hood to clear this new front sight.
2 4 R

Old 09-29-2011, 21:27   #11
toshbar
Timber Baron

Pics:

Sights, Optics and Lasers

2 4 R

Old 11-13-2011, 21:35   #12
toshbar
Timber Baron

Just want to note that I should have gotten the 0.335" front sight as I have the rear all the way down and am hitting where I want to. It would be optimal to have more adjustability range though.
2 4 R

Old 11-13-2011, 23:45   #13
HAMMERHEAD

I had the same issue with my 17L. A .300" high front is plenty high, .335" is starting to get ridiculous.

I found with the Dawson rear that more down adjustment can be had by filing the areas where the sight body hits the sight frame.
HAMMERHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 23:48   #14
toshbar
Timber Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMMERHEAD View Post
I found with the Dawson rear that more down adjustment can be had by filing the areas where the sight body hits the sight frame.
I thought about this and is probably what I'm going to do if I need more downtravel.
2 4 R