GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2011, 21:05   #1
thug23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boston, MA.
Posts: 243
S&W 1911 DK Model Opinions

So I'm in the market for a new 1911 by S&W and came across some info on the Doug Koenig model...the 45 ACP which is cheaper than the 38 super model.
Anyway I have read a lot of people who say this is a great gun, shoots well, handles nice and with the extra upgrades really makes it worth the extra couple hundred dollars.
Then I've read from those who say its simply a regular 1911 with "little" upgrades which brings on a "bigger" price tag...so skip this model and either go with the base or Performance Center instead.
So for those who know thru experience or ownership of the DK model...
IS THIS A GOOD MODEL 1911 TO PURCHASE OR A RIP OFF??
Thanks for your time and advice.
thug23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 21:09   #2
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 95,265
The only DK Smith to go with is the Performance Center model in 38 Super.

The other one is the same quality as a base SW1911.

They're two totally different guns.
__________________
.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 00:18   #3
Cobra64
Deals in Facts
 
Cobra64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Depends on where I am.
Posts: 17,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by thug23 View Post
So I'm in the market for a new 1911 by S&W and came across some info on the Doug Koenig model...the 45 ACP which is cheaper than the 38 super model.
Anyway I have read a lot of people who say this is a great gun, shoots well, handles nice and with the extra upgrades really makes it worth the extra couple hundred dollars.
Then I've read from those who say its simply a regular 1911 with "little" upgrades which brings on a "bigger" price tag...so skip this model and either go with the base or Performance Center instead.
So for those who know thru experience or ownership of the DK model...
IS THIS A GOOD MODEL 1911 TO PURCHASE OR A RIP OFF??
Thanks for your time and advice.
I have a Plain S&W and a DK PC. The PC is incredible.

1911 Forums




1911 Forums




1911 Forums
Cobra64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:04   #4
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 95,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra64 View Post
The PC is incredible.
[CENTER]
Yes they are
__________________
.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:07   #5
thug23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boston, MA.
Posts: 243
And obviusly as you know the price is like twice as much for the 38 super...so for me, today I can only afford the 45 price...do I go for it or hold out for a simple base model which will be a couple hundred dollars less ?
Thanks again.
thug23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:56   #6
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 95,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by thug23 View Post
And obviusly as you know the price is like twice as much for the 38 super...so for me, today I can only afford the 45 price...do I go for it or hold out for a simple base model which will be a couple hundred dollars less ?
Thanks again.
I'd go for the base model. What's the sense of having a "mock" DK gun?
__________________
.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:36   #7
thug23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boston, MA.
Posts: 243
Ya I suppose your right.
thug23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:37   #8
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 95,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by thug23 View Post
Ya I suppose your right.
Its almost like wearing a fake Rolex.


__________________
.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 14:41   #9
lsbbigdog
Senior Member
 
lsbbigdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 703
1911 Forums
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
lsbbigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 14:55   #10
Cobra64
Deals in Facts
 
Cobra64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Depends on where I am.
Posts: 17,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by thug23 View Post
And obviusly as you know the price is like twice as much for the 38 super...so for me, today I can only afford the 45 price...do I go for it or hold out for a simple base model which will be a couple hundred dollars less ?
Thanks again.


I paid $900 for my S&W shown above and $1,990 for the DK Performance Center.
Cobra64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 15:59   #11
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 95,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra64 View Post


I paid $900 for my S&W shown above and $1,990 for the DK Performance Center.
Mark,

I think he's comparing the 45ACP DK model vs the standard SW1911.
__________________
.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 17:18   #12
thug23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boston, MA.
Posts: 243
Yes guys I'm sorry I was asking about the difference between a base model 1911 and the DK model in 45 ACP.
I'm fully aware of the upgrades, price and all the bells & whistles you get with the 38 super model which is out of my league right now.
So with that said I guess I'm wondering is the DK model worth the extra couple hundred dollars and if so, WHY ?
Thanks for your help.
thug23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 19:03   #13
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 95,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by thug23 View Post
Yes guys I'm sorry I was asking about the difference between a base model 1911 and the DK model in 45 ACP.
I'm fully aware of the upgrades, price and all the bells & whistles you get with the 38 super model which is out of my league right now.
So with that said I guess I'm wondering is the DK model worth the extra couple hundred dollars and if so, WHY ?
Thanks for your help.
It basically has a magwell, a flat trigger, and an ambi safety over the base SW1911.

The trigger isn't an upgrade, just different.






.
__________________
.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by bac1023; 08-21-2011 at 19:03..
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:53   #14
thug23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boston, MA.
Posts: 243
How's the recoil on these guns?
I've read that a lot of people change out the recoil spring...it comes with a 16lb spring and they change to an 18lb or 20lb spring to minimize the recoil shock...
Sound reasonable?
thug23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:23   #15
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 95,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by thug23 View Post
How's the recoil on these guns?
I've read that a lot of people change out the recoil spring...it comes with a 16lb spring and they change to an 18lb or 20lb spring to minimize the recoil shock...
Sound reasonable?

Recoil isn't bad at all with a full size 1911.
__________________
.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by bac1023; 08-22-2011 at 05:23..
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:37   #16
Cobra64
Deals in Facts
 
Cobra64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Depends on where I am.
Posts: 17,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by thug23 View Post

How's the recoil on these guns?
I've read that a lot of people change out the recoil spring...it comes with a 16lb spring and they change to an 18lb or 20lb spring to minimize the recoil shock...
Sound reasonable?
Personally, I maintain recoil spring weights designed for the weapon. Changing them up or down will have an effect on slide velocity and thus affect FTF or FTE.
Cobra64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 16:29   #17
thug23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boston, MA.
Posts: 243
OK I will keep the spring size as is...thankx.
thug23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 17:38   #18
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 95,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra64 View Post
Personally, I maintain recoil spring weights designed for the weapon. Changing them up or down will have an effect on slide velocity and thus affect FTF or FTE.


Its fine the way it is.
__________________
.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:02   #19
federali
Senior Member
 
federali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Oceanside, NY, USA
Posts: 1,346
I have a few hundred rounds through my stock S&W 1911, all without a hitch. 1911s in general are a pain to clean, compared to a Glock. I also added a Wilson 10 round mag for nightstand use and the gun/magazine combination run flawlessly.

A lighter return spring is valid for reduced power target loads. I feel that S&W, in entering the 1911 market, knew that its market consisted of more knowledgeable and gun-savvy shooters, alng with some well-established 1911 gunmakers. If word got out of reliability problems, they would be dead at the starting gate. So, if S&W settled for a 16 pound spring (if that's what it is), they did so with good reason and after extensive range testing with a variety of commercially available factory ammo.

I find the recoil of the S&W 1911 quite manageable using full-house 230 grain loads.
__________________
Glock 19, 34. Browning HP, S&W 65-3", 1911, M&P .45, Kahr P9, Int'l Assoc. of Law Enforcement Firearms Instructors, NRA, Certified Armorer: Glock, SIG, S&W,

Just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it's true: Abraham Lincoln
federali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:36   #20
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It
 
fnfalman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: California & New Mexico, US
Posts: 58,880


Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
I'd go for the base model. What's the sense of having a "mock" DK gun?
I concur. It's like the Gunsite version. It's no different from the PD yet it costed more just because of the Raven.
__________________
Can you dig it?
fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:07.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 527
113 Members
414 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31