SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-14-2011, 19:07   #1
Diesel McBadass
Tactically Epic

Shoot better semi rapid than slow?

I did range quals today and the rangemaster was watching shots, said i hit every round in semi rapid but tended to pull shots in slow fire? Any reason for this, i'd honestly expect to be better shooting slow but had all 5s and 4s semi rapid at same distance.
Old 08-15-2011, 17:05   #2
fredj338

Hmm, usually the opp. When guys start shooting faster, they start pushing shots. What you could be doing is anticipating the shot. Where are your misses going?
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 17:07   #3
Diesel McBadass
Tactically Epic

Misses were usually to the right. Some low, some high. All 25 yards on the DAK sig trigger.
Old 08-15-2011, 18:48   #4
dgg9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel McBadass View Post
I did range quals today and the rangemaster was watching shots, said i hit every round in semi rapid but tended to pull shots in slow fire? Any reason for this, i'd honestly expect to be better shooting slow but had all 5s and 4s semi rapid at same distance.
Some shooting pathologies, like flinching, are basically psychological, not technical, and can get worse the more time you have to think between shots. That's why shooting instructors make up drills that force you to think about something else while shooting slowly.

Not sure if that applies to you.
dgg9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:58   #5
Diesel McBadass
Tactically Epic

This problem seems more pronounced on the DAO SIG than 1911s or my CZ, So i guess the longer trigger pull may giver more time to flinch.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:23   #6
Agent6-3/8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel McBadass View Post
All 25 yards on the DAK sig trigger.
There's your problem right there. I had the same issue with the initial DA pull of the 4566 I was issued with my last department. Long, heavy trigger with no feel of when its going to go bang. I did ok shooting fast, but precision slow fire to the standard I was capable of with a DA revovler, 1911 or Glock was out of the question.

Still qualified expert, but I never really warmed up to the trigger.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:26   #7
eracer
Where's my EBT?

Slow fire is for target practice. Rapid fire is for defensive work.

I'd rather practice rapid fire. Slow fire (unless I'm shooting a .22 or some other dedicated target pistol is a waste of time.
Matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration; we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death. Life is a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. And now...the weather! ---- Bill Hicks
eracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 23:15   #8
Grumpy Gardener

Diesel, I had the opportunity to be able to train down south in Az. and take a shotgun course. On the run moving, nothing got away, even when in transitions from shot to slug or visa versa. But put me down in a prone position and ask me to hit a 10" plate at 100 yds...forget about it. My instructor pulled me off in front of the class, told me to chamber 1 round and snap shot an 8" plate at 80 yds on the word "Mark". He called it, I hit it.

My instructor told me that I 'overthink the problem' but when the pressure's on, it's not a problem to hit 10 ring. I've seen that in everything I do, even beyond the defense world. I dunno...maybe it's a good thing.

Hope that helps a little bit, your mileage may vary.

The Gardener
Old 08-26-2011, 09:30   #9
The Retired Sarge
"The Sarge"

I have shot that way all my life. Basically trained for combat, defense, and LE duty and enjoy that type of shooting best. Never was a good, slow fire target shooter. Decent but not good. Seems when I take slow aim I take too long, the pistol moves around, and the shots do too and I think too much-lol. Now give me semi-rapid or rapid fire on a combat course of fire and I am in my zone. Flash sight picture and let the shots rip as soon as the sight picture is acquired and I shoot ragged holes. Bill
The Retired Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote