Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:31   #176
Misty02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timba View Post
Bug,

Good point. I have had that happen to me a time or two. When it does, I'll usually grab my cell phone like it just vibrated, and pretend to take a call that requires me to leave, or at least go back to my car. I'll tell any folks with me that I have to take care of the call, and to go on in without me.

Not perfect, but usually plausible misdirection.
Simple, yet effective diversion! Thank you for the tip!

"In making tactical dispositions, the highest pitch you can attain is to conceal them." - Sun Tzu

Outpost Member #69
Misty02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 23:42   #177
flyboyvet

For warmer weather I use the concealment T under a light shirt (usually Hawaiian style, that reeks of 'tourist'..In the cooler months I use a hip holster, either IWB or OWB depending on what my activities for the day are going to be. As for being aware without looking aware, well I like to look aware! The thugs in my city are punks who look for soft targets and I don't want to give them false hope that if they try to mug me they will be returning home any time soon.....

FBV
flyboyvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 16:42   #178
JM44-40

I think to each his own.

I live out in the sticks in a rural small town about 60 miles from a large city. I adapt my clothing as needed. Where I live hunting, fishing, and outdoor activities and outdoor clothing are common.

My choice is to be subtle, but I sometimes wear a "Looper" belt when carrying. It's a plain brown heavy leather belt with a plain buckle -- doesn't look like an obvious gun belt.

Now my wife lost her citizenship papers and we had to go to Immigration (Homeland Security) in the city to start the process to obtain the new papers. Of course I wasn't carrying when we went in -- more security than an airport and three armed guards all carrying Smith M & P's .40 cal.

They told us to remove all metal, remove billfold, etc. I took my belt off and put it on the conveyor belt. Then one guard ask me, "Do you have a concealed carry permit?" I answered him -- "yes sir, but I'm not stupid and am not carrying now." He said NO problem go on through.

While my wife was taking care of her business I went back up to the check in point, and it was slow, and I started talking to the guards. I asked the guard how he knew I had a permit and he said it was from the Looper belt. He said the only people who wear those are off duty LEO's and concealed carry permit holders. I told him he was very observant and if he worked for me I'd give him two weeks off with pay. We laughed about it, and about a week later I saw him at the range where I shoot sometimes when down in that city.

Out here where I live it's like country. I have my own two shooting ranges and everyone packs. When we go out to eat or to shop in a larger town I will dress different and carry a different piece.

When out walking I carry the LCP or Smith 36. When in the city it's a Glock 23 or 26 carried IWB. Plain vests without sleeves over a long sleeved shirt are very common here, even in the city as this is cowboy country so a winter concealment is easy.

Summertime, it's usually a wife beater undershirt and nice shirt one size larger than needed (some kind of print, but not real loud) with tail out and jeans. I don't stand out.

I'm the former Police Commissioner here and I don't go in for the tactical stuff unless I'm shooting with some LEO's, or doing some training, or out in the woods.

I'll wear the tactical stuff only if it's practical -- no Glock hats, jackets, etc. except when out on my range or in the woods -- never when just out and about.

I'm 63 years old and that helps and I carry everywhere that's legal.

When I go out, I look on it as a skill to go as unnoticed as possible. That's just my choice.

That guard at homeland security taught me a good lesson. I had on Dockers, loafers, nice shirt tucked in and the belt does not stick out (except to a LEO in that particular situation). These belts are made locally and the brand name is well known so I could wear this belt in some other state and probably go unnoticed.

Just my thoughts, and great thread.........

Last edited by JM44-40; 12-10-2011 at 17:17..
JM44-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 16:10   #179
broncobuddha1

Informative thread. Lots of points to consider.

I try to remain concealed but I don't advertise it either. I try to stay aware of my surroundings and not look like a target. Its a balancing act.

I typically wear jeans or cargo shorts with t shirts as often as possible.

I stay away from the 5.11 style stuff. Its just too obvious. Shame that Merrills have fallen in favor with those guys because now they're obvious around here too. Sucks because they're seriously comfortable shoes. Lol!
broncobuddha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:21   #180
Brasso

After reading some of this thread I am wondering why anyone would care if they look like they're carrying? Why do you feel that you must blend in?

All I care about is that I'm concealed to the point it's not illegal so people don't call the cops on me. I do happen to be a cop too, but I really don't care if people think I am when off duty or not.
Yeshayahu 9:7 Of the increase of His rule and peace there is no end, upon the throne of David and over His reign, to establish it and sustain it with justice and with righteousness from now on, even forever. The ardour of יהוה of hosts does this.
Brasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:11   #181
muscogee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasso View Post
After reading some of this thread I am wondering why anyone would care if they look like they're carrying? Why do you feel that you must blend in?

All I care about is that I'm concealed to the point it's not illegal so people don't call the cops on me. I do happen to be a cop too, but I really don't care if people think I am when off duty or not.
Texas has this ambiguous law about "imprinting", whatever that may be. It looks to me like a loophole to harass the unwary. That's why I always ask my wife it it's obvious before going out.

Leona Helmsley
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 13:02   #182
Misty02

Quote:

I always care; it is just that sometimes I may not care as strongly as I do other times.

Some of the reasons I care:
  • I donít want someone calling the police on me either
  • I donít like to stand out in a crowd
  • I donít want unsavory characters to know I may possess something of value to them (same reason Iíve turned my rings upside-down at times)
  • There are some people we know I would prefer never found out I carry
  • I donít like having to explain myself to others
I kind of contradict myself when someone else that carries tells me my fanny-pack screams ďgunĒ to the entire world, Iíve found myself saying ďso what?!Ē

"In making tactical dispositions, the highest pitch you can attain is to conceal them." - Sun Tzu

Outpost Member #69
Old 02-12-2012, 13:24   #183
RussP

Quote:

If someone were to "call the cops" on you, would you show your department ID?

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 19:49   #184
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Because some people...

...don't want others to know for personal reasons

...consider the element of surprise to be very important

...worry about the potential for a gun grab

...live in an area where being a gun owner or gun carrier is not generally socially acceptable

Just to name a few

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 13:49   #185
hamster
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
Because some people...

...don't want others to know for personal reasons

...consider the element of surprise to be very important

...worry about the potential for a gun grab

...live in an area where being a gun owner or gun carrier is not generally socially acceptable

Just to name a few

Amen. I personally live in an open-carry state but I don't want anyone to know I carry. For the same reason people don't know how much I make or if I wear boxers or briefs. It simply isn't anyone's business.
hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 13:36   #186
Brasso

I'm not talking about flashing your gun, or having a huge imprint of a gun. I'm talking about the posters who don't want to look like they might be the type of person who might carry a gun. That's what is so strange. I think they are way over thinking things.
Yeshayahu 9:7 Of the increase of His rule and peace there is no end, upon the throne of David and over His reign, to establish it and sustain it with justice and with righteousness from now on, even forever. The ardour of יהוה of hosts does this.
Old 02-16-2012, 13:54   #187
RussP

Quote:
I'm not talking about flashing your gun, or having a huge imprint of a gun. I'm talking about the posters who don't want to look like they might be the type of person who might carry a gun. That's what is so strange. I think they are way over thinking things.
Was that your answer to my post...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
If someone were to "call the cops" on you, would you show your department ID?

Old 02-16-2012, 17:51   #188
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:

Quote:

Most people don't have a badge/ID to avoid any potential issues with LE should the police be called/respond/initiate contact.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 17:55   #189
yodahunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscogee View Post
Texas has this ambiguous law about "imprinting", whatever that may be. It looks to me like a loophole to harass the unwary. That's why I always ask my wife it it's obvious before going out.
What is the "imprinting law"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yodahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 18:44   #190
muscogee

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodahunter View Post
What is the "imprinting law"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If your handgun can be seen through your clothing that can be construed as brandishing, which is illegal. For example, if you have a handgun in your pocket and someone can see the outline of a handgun, that's imprinting. As least that's what was discussed in the first CHL class I took. I don't know if that's changed, but I don't take the chance.

Leona Helmsley
Old 02-16-2012, 18:56   #191
Brasso

OK, I'm not talking about your weapon showing, or printing, or anything like that. Several posters seem to think they need to go out of their way to look like someone who wouldn't be the type to carry a gun. That's what I don't understand.

As to if I would show other police my ID....well, duh. Of course I would. I thought that was a rhetorical question.
Old 02-16-2012, 19:30   #192
Misty02

I donít look like the type that would carry, at times, that is just how I want it to seem. It makes it even cooler when I get to see the expression on the face of someone one of my kids knows and Iíve given them permission to tell that person. That first expression is just priceless! There are lots of ďfor real?!Ē that follow.

Outpost Member #69
Old 02-16-2012, 20:22   #193
RussP

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
OK, I'm not talking about your weapon showing, or printing, or anything like that. Several posters seem to think they need to go out of their way to look like someone who wouldn't be the type to carry a gun. That's what I don't understand.

As to if I would show other police my ID....well, duh. Of course I would. I thought that was a rhetorical question.
No, the question was an interrogative. You're not curious why I ask?

Your attitude is why. While being recognized as someone carrying is not an issue with you, that attitude may be extremely dangerous for another person.

How about just leaving that agency ID home when you're out carrying off duty as a regular citizen?

Are you with a state agency or a local PD or SO?

Old 02-17-2012, 06:37   #194
Brasso

OK. You're still not getting it.

I am assuming that no one knows you are carrying. Your gun is not showing. Your gun is not printing. No one has any clue that you actually have a gun of any kind.

I was only curious as to why someone would go to such trouble to look like someone who wouldn't be the type to carry? Basically, making themselves look like a target on purpose, which seems counter intuitive to the whole idea of self defense. Normally making yourself at least appear as a "hard" target is a detering postion. See?

Last edited by Brasso; 02-17-2012 at 07:18..
Old 02-17-2012, 07:04   #195
xmanhockey7

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscogee View Post
If your handgun can be seen through your clothing that can be construed as brandishing, which is illegal. For example, if you have a handgun in your pocket and someone can see the outline of a handgun, that's imprinting. As least that's what was discussed in the first CHL class I took. I don't know if that's changed, but I don't take the chance.
I don't think the charge would be brandishing unless the state law defines brandishing as printing. If you look up brandishing in the Merriam Webster dictionary you get this definition:
1: to shake or wave (as a weapon) menacingly
2: to exhibit in an ostentatious or aggressive manner
Old 02-17-2012, 07:16   #196
Black Smoke Trail

Quote:

I was only curious as to why someone would go to such trouble to look like someone who wouldn't be the type to carry? Basically, making themselves look like a target on purpose, which seems counter intuitive to the whole idea of self defense. Normally making yourself at least appear as a "hard" target is detering postion. See?
That is one way to look at it. Unfortunately, you are not getting it. At least speaking for myself......the reason I don't want anyone to know or even suspect I am carrying is because most Americans as well as cops are hyper hoplophobic and the tendency is to over reach and behave foolishly. People embellish stories when reporting suspicious people or occurances to the police......they even lie in many circumstance. If someone knows or suspects you are carrying, they behave and respond in a much different manner, usually not positive. Cops are trained to spring load to the wild over react position when faced with a possible armed person. In my opinion, most cops don't like the idea or concept of any armed public although many will say differently.

To avoid any possibility of public or law enforcement hysterical reaction, I and MANY others go to great effort to NOT appear armed or to even be suspected or being armed.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:22   #197
Brasso

So you're basically saying that you think people will call the police on a person with short hair wearing 511 pants because they look like the type of person who might be armed?

If that works for you.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:23   #198
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
I was only curious as to why someone would go to such trouble to look like someone who wouldn't be the type to carry? Basically, making themselves look like a target on purpose, which seems counter intuitive to the whole idea of self defense. Normally making yourself at least appear as a "hard" target is detering postion. See?
Hard targets are determined by posture, awareness and general confidence, NOT by weapons. Several studies of felons, who were in surprising agreement of who they'd choose for a target. Several more studies of cop killers who were also in agreement in discounting the obvious weapons as deterrents to their choice on murder.

The original point was to present yourself in such a way as does not lead to scrutiny. There's simply nothing to be gained by inviting a detailed inspection of yourself.
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:44   #199
Brasso

I give up. My skills with the english language are apparently not up to the task of this conversation.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:50   #200
muscogee

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
I don't think the charge would be brandishing unless the state law defines brandishing as printing. If you look up brandishing in the Merriam Webster dictionary you get this definition:
1: to shake or wave (as a weapon) menacingly
2: to exhibit in an ostentatious or aggressive manner
IIRC, the law was pretty ambiguous. I prefer to err on the side of caution. I never underestimate the hysteria of ignorance of the law one might encounter. I don't need the hassles.

Leona Helmsley