Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-27-2011, 18:06   #151
JohnHoliday

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKLovingIT View Post
What is a 'mope'?
hahaha, sorry, I guess its a location thing. Not used everywhere. I use it to refer to people that probably should be locked up, people that are in/out of jail all the time. Thugs, bandits, gangbangers, call them whatever you like.

Definition from Urban Dictionary.

" Mope
A person of any race or culture that is: presenting themselves as uneducated (either by mannerisms or the clothing they are wearing). Plural = Mopes Mopes usually are up to no good and may have an extensive criminal record and a limited vocabulary.

(N) A person of lower socio-economic status that leeches off the greater good of society, is lazy and is normally involved in some sort of criminal activity."

Last edited by JohnHoliday; 08-27-2011 at 18:08..
JohnHoliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:42   #152
Turk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerTGO View Post
So beyond carrying all the hardware, does it really matter if you smile at a potential "bad guy"? Does giving him "the look" make you any safer
Every time I do "THE LOOK" my eight year old grand-daughter starts laughing hysterically! She says "you look funny grandpa". Maybe I need to practice?
Old 08-30-2011, 11:47   #153
BailRecoveryAgent
Rude Member

Good thread is still good.

Hey Russ, sticky perhaps?
BailRecoveryAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:58   #154
jay-bird
goin' broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2afreedom View Post
Yeah a guy with a Glock hat, photographer's vest, fannypack, and 5.11 pants is really not doing much to conceal anything. I don't think I have one piece of clothing with a firearms logo on it and I certainly don't have any 5.11 anything. Why someone wants to wear all those flashing lights that scream, "I have a gun!" is beyond me. Concealed is more than just not having a Desert Eagle strapped to your hip.
There's a liquor store owner in my city who wears a GLOCK hat behind the counter.

I guarantee it works in his favor.
jay-bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:30   #155
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BailRecoveryAgent View Post
Good thread is still good.

Hey Russ, sticky perhaps?
Done, thanks for the reminder...

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:57   #156
BailRecoveryAgent
Rude Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
Done, thanks for the reminder...
No problem. I would hate to see a thread with so much good info and insight get buried.
BailRecoveryAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 14:34   #157
jellis11
Yippee-ki-yay

i live at the beach and summer is usually the longest and hardest to carry during. flip flops, shorts, slim t-shirt. i usually carry a g26 with stock mag. my mags with extensions do print ((to me.) wife says she cant see, but i have better pom with stock). sometimes i do catch myself touching the shirt. usually after bending down or carrying the kiddo. the slim shirts are what makes it tough but if i alter to wide or larger i would feel uncomfortable and just not be me. lol thats why i got the nice new glock. my "springy" wasnt summer enough!

lots of times i have a backpack made by camelback. ditch the bladder and i have a water tight padded compartment right next against my back with the zipper starting on my strong side low position. perfect. and with the little man its a cool young dads diaperbag... complete with hg, reload, 2 knives, toys, diapers wipes, little first aid kid, snacks and camera. haha try to pick me out when im at the mall.

well... dont try, cause now its easy. crud...
jellis11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 17:35   #158
bug

I have seen many a gray man give them selves away by trying to carry someplace they can not by law.

Example: I was at a amusement park last year that sells alcohol, and I watched a few people walk to the gate see the sign and turn back for there cars.
now if some one else sees this they can figure on a few things.
A: You now have no gun.
B: They no where to find a unattended gun in a car.
C: There is a good chance you will not be back to that car for a few hours.

Its best to know your laws as well as you can so don't give yourself away.
Old 09-26-2011, 14:32   #159
smitty704

Quote:
Originally Posted by bug View Post
I have seen many a gray man give them selves away by trying to carry someplace they can not by law.

Example: I was at a amusement park last year that sells alcohol, and I watched a few people walk to the gate see the sign and turn back for there cars.

Great point
smitty704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 21:37   #160
f350fiver

Send a message via Skype™ to f350fiver
This is good information. I appreciate the responses without a lot of joking. I hope to be carrying by the end of the year and this will help not make the rookie mistakes.

Life is simple, do the work.
f350fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 21:47   #161
UtahIrishman
BLR

Quote:

I agree. The gray man concept is a great one. This is an excellent thread that needs some new exposure and input.

----
UtahIrishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:48   #162
IT0

Captain Obvious

Mr. Spade,

Thank you for the info, I appreciate it.

So basically this guy would be Captain Obvious:

Carry Issues

I have to admit I did not get the vest thing until you said it, even after having seen the movie. However now that I think about it, last time I was at the range, most of the staff there had vests on and they were not part of a uniform.

While I enjoy fire arms I do not enjoy CC; it is an odd thing I had to pick up, for work. My office is in a rough part of town and I am often the first and last person here and we have had some issues.

So if I wanted to CC and be completely grey, how and where would be the best place to hide the fire arm and still have reasonable access to it?

Currently I don't have tactical anything, generally wear Birkenstock, shorts and a fishing shirt....but I do and have carried a knife with a clip for 15 years.

Last edited by IT0; 09-27-2011 at 09:58..
IT0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 13:36   #163
yukon2004

A lot of useful info... has definitely got me thinking. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this so far!

Last edited by yukon2004; 09-27-2011 at 13:37..
yukon2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 13:50   #164
Mr T

Thanks for the article. Made me think. I have the tendency to check my shirt, to be certain it is covering the gun. A little to much. I've been trying to nip it in the bud.
Mr T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 14:18   #165
Rupert

At the risk of being redundant, I would also include bumper stickers. Pro-nra, You can take my gun from my cold dead hand, etc. They basically beg thieves to break into your car and cops to pull you over.
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 19:21   #166
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
At the risk of being redundant, I would also include bumper stickers. Pro-nra, You can take my gun from my cold dead hand, etc. They basically beg thieves to break into your car and cops to pull you over.
My experiences say differently.

Plus I have always believed that, generally speaking, a belief (or knowledge) that you possess firearms will increase the chances somebody tries to break in/steal from you when you are NOT there while decreasing the chances of the same while you are present. I would take that tradeoff.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 09-28-2011 at 19:22..
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 19:24   #167
Unistat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
All depends on where you live.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:12   #168
jco69

Quote:
Originally Posted by BailRecoveryAgent View Post
I have a hard time fitting the "gray man" role, but not necessarily by choice. My tshirt collection consists of shirts from a few of my favorite metal bands, and Harley Davidson shirts. Where I have a hard time being the "gray man" comes from my size. I'm not usually the tallest man in the room, but I am usually the biggest, usually. If I'm in the gun store or the Harley shop, I won't typically get a second look from people, but when I go strolling through Chuck E Cheese with my kids in tow, I get a few stares from the soccer moms. I don't walk around with a smug look on my face or with a "Come at me Bro" attitude, but my size and how I look(shaved head, goatee but no tattoos or piercings) are usually enough to garner a few looks from people.

I'm polite and respectful to others when out and about, I hold doors for people of either sex, not because I'm carrying and want to look friendly so people don't suspect I'm carrying, but because its how I was raised. My behavior around other people is the same whether carrying or not. If a person has to act differently when carrying, you have to wonder why a gun would change a persons attitude and demeanor. Shouldn't we as adults be behaving in a respectful manner anyways?

Becoming "gray" or blending in so to speak, is more about how you act and carry yourself rather than whether or not your wearing Dockers and Polo shirts everywhere you go. Choosing proper gear, ie gun belt, holster, gun, iwb,owb, carry position on your body, are all things that we should take into consideration when wanting to be completely concealed, but that isn't where it ends.

Just my $.02, and as always ladies and gentlemen, YMMV. Carry on.
I resemble this statement :-)
Rimfire club member #817
NRA member
GSSF member
jco69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:19   #169
jco69

Quote:
Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
Like always the comment was taken out of context. I see a lot of people on this site overreacting and getting carried away with an idea. Look at my original comment and you will see that what I said is some people do see it as a game but to a street thug it is life all the time.

Comments like ” when I walk in a mall I try and spot the person carrying” … me I don’t care who is carrying, I am more worried about the thug or shady character that is more likely to be trouble maker then some wanna-be cop or ccw holder. Does the average person go out of his way to spot people packing …NO… does a person of law enforcement …yes, like it is for a mechanic to see worn parts on a car, an engineer to see structural damage it is a part of the job.

I find the tread very entertaining and lots of useful info on how to carry without sticking out but to some it is just more fuel for the paranoia fire. I can’t enjoy life if I am always worried about the other guy and what he is doing
Rimfire club member #817
NRA member
GSSF member
jco69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 21:31   #170
CA357

I just completed my CCW class today. I just now finished reading this entire thread and there are a lot of great points made. Very enlightening, thank you.
CA357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 21:32   #171
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I just completed my CCW class today. I just now finished reading this entire thread and there are a lot of great points made. Very enlightening, thank you.
Strong join date to post count. Is that how long it takes to get a carry license in Cali?

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 21:41   #172
CA357

Pretty much.

Actually, I've been Glockless for a number of years. I just bought a G36 to carry and I thought it was time to check back in.
CA357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 22:58   #173
Hour13
Tah-dah!

Great thread, and a lot of good food for thought.

For me, blending in isn't much of an option. Aside from my tats, I carry a pretty noticeable collection of scars on my face/head. I tend to stand out a wee bit wherever I go. So I don't really bother trying to be grey, be a waste of time. If anything, the fact that I'm polite and nice(holding doors, etc.) to strangers gets me more strange looks than anything else. Guess people expect someone who looks like I do, to be a prick, or up to no good.

That being said... I do not in any way 'advertise' my weapon. No Tac pants, gun logo clothing, etc... I wear the same type of clothing I always have, loose fit jeans & t-shirt, and sneakers. I'm always aware of my surroundings, but I don't scout or prowl when I'm out & about.

Seen my share of "mall ninjas" though, can't help but chuckle every time. And worry a bit too. They always strike me as the type who is just itching for some s**t to go down, so they can whip out their 1911 & go Rambo on some BGs.

I carry, and will not hesitate to ventilate ANYONE who tries to hurt innocent people. But I hope to God I never have to. Regardless of the reason, taking someone's life is not something I relish the thought of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn View Post
She can't say stupid stuff with her mouth full of sausage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hour13 View Post
I have no problem charging somebody stark nekid, with a TP tail hanging from my butt... Maybe they'll go to their maker with a smile on their face.
Hour13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:30   #174
Timba
Almost Perfect

Quote:

Bug,

Good point. I have had that happen to me a time or two. When it does, I'll usually grab my cell phone like it just vibrated, and pretend to take a call that requires me to leave, or at least go back to my car. I'll tell any folks with me that I have to take care of the call, and to go on in without me.

Not perfect, but usually plausible misdirection.

"Education is neither a substitute for intelligence nor a cure for stupidity." - A. Kissling
Timba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 18:41   #175
Glock21sf-miami

Interesting posts in this thread. I have tried almost everything and my most "delicate" carrying environment is work. I used to carry a G30 in a CBST and unfortunately got made twice by people that patted my gun when saying hello.
The solution I found was to use a smartcarry holster. Some people might notice an oversized bulge but nobody has asked :-). I generally carry a G36 or an SP101. When really deep concealment or formal attire is required, the 642 gets the carry role.