Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-15-2014, 15:54   #1
trekker10

Glock 26 vs Shield for CCW...again....

I know this subject has been discussed over and over again and beat to death...but...

I want to know which one you prefer for CCW....AND....what holster and belt you are using. I read a lot about which gun people prefer, but not much about what holster and belt they are using to make the G26 or Shield their preferred carry gun.
trekker10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 16:29   #2
oldguynewglock

I suggest you try and shoot both fist. I had. Shield and sold it. I preferred the G26. Shoot it better than the Shield and I prefer the thicker grip of the G26. I also like the higher round count of the G26, plus my Galco IWB holster fits the G19 and my G30S which I rotate with the 26. But that is me. Some prefer the thinness of the Shield for carry. So try both if you can.
oldguynewglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 16:37   #3
Deaf Smith

I prefer the G26 and if I want a slim gun, I'll just use my Kahr K9 cause I do like the heavier weight when shooting one handed.

Deaf
Old 10-15-2014, 16:41   #4
trekker10

i've shot both pretty extensively

i'm mainly looking at people's setup to see what makes them choose the gun

i.e. if they hate the G26 because it was 'too blocky'...i'm wondering what holster and belt it was used with, or love the shield but carry it in a cheap holster
trekker10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 16:50   #5
Pawatch

I own both guns and the shield is easier to conceal. But I shoot tighter groups with my G26.
So for that reason I prefer the G26. But I would be comfortable carrying either gun.
I have a Remora holster for both guns. And also use a foxx hybird.
Pawatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 17:30   #6
Clusterfrack

The Shield is ok, but the G26 is my choice for the following reasons:
-Compatible with Glock parts and mags
-More capacity, but not more difficult for me to conceal
-Similar to my main carry gun (G19) and competition gun (G34)
-I shoot it better than a Shield
-I trust Glock more than M&P
Old 10-15-2014, 17:34   #7
BMyers

Have both. I carry G26 more than the Shield. I have Crossbreed holsters for both.
BMyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 14:37   #8
Scriptohio

Me:
G 26 Gen 4, N82 professional IWB EDC
1 1/2 sewn leather belt
Son: LEO
g 27 Gen 3, DeSantis IWB off duty
Uncle Mikes Velcro duty belt
Son in Law:
9mm Shield, Crossbreed IWB EDC
Heavy lether belt

A good belt really helps with comfort. As with everything it really is a personal choice with holsters. I really like my N82 my son tried it and also liked it and is going to add one to his holster collection.
As far as the Shield IMHO it is just ok. I shoot it ok but shoot the 26 better because I practice with it. We all have full size frame pistols a G17, G 22 and a M&P 9 and maybe it is just the transition.
Scriptohio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 14:38   #9
Scriptohio

Me:
G 26 Gen 4, N82 professional IWB EDC
1 1/2 sewn leather belt
Son: LEO
g 27 Gen 3, DeSantis IWB off duty
Uncle Mikes Velcro duty belt
Son in Law:
9mm Shield, Crossbreed IWB EDC
Heavy lether belt

A good belt really helps with comfort. As with everything it really is a personal choice with holsters. I really like my N82 my son tried it and also liked it and is going to add one to his holster collection.
As far as the Shield IMHO it is just ok. I shoot it ok but shoot the 26 better because I practice with it. We all have full size frame pistols a G17, G 22 and a M&P 9 and maybe it is just the transition.
Scriptohio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 14:42   #10
eb07
Sharkin'

One is slimmer and conceals better, the other holds more ammo...... choose one
eb07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 15:51   #11
Deaf Smith

No, one is a bit slimier and a bit easier to conceal, the other is well known for it's reliability, holds up to 50 percent more ammo (or more if you use Glock 19 or 17 mags), eats +P+ ammo three meals a day, has many add ons, and is very accurate

Deaf
Old 10-16-2014, 15:59   #12
eb07
Sharkin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaf Smith View Post
No, one is a bit slimier and a bit easier to conceal, the other is well known for it's reliability, holds up to 50 percent more ammo (or more if you use Glock 19 or 17 mags), eats +P+ ammo three meals a day, has many add ons, and is very accurate

Deaf
All valid points. I got caught up on the micro nine craze. Then woke up. I'll carry the the LCR or the D Frame.

You can keep the micro nines.

Last edited by eb07; 10-16-2014 at 15:59..
eb07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 19:15   #13
unit1069

I can't compare the Shield to a G-26 because I've always passed on the baby Glock (a G-33) because I could never warm up to curling my pinkie underneath the magazine.

The Shield is new but so far has been flawless through 200 FMJ break-in rounds, is accurate, and I can get all fingers securely on the grip even with the 7-round magazine.

The ace in the hole for me is that a second CCW pistol I own is a superb Steyr S9-A1, a 10+1 pistol that's slimmer than a G-26, has a grip that accommodates all my fingers, and has substantial build quality. If I can find the right holster the Steyr could possibly end up as my primary CCW, especially in cold weather.

Last edited by unit1069; 10-16-2014 at 19:17..
unit1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 19:36   #14
ghost1958

I had a g26. Sold it. But I loved it. Needed fast money at the time.

I have a Shield now. For me the Shield is an easier carry. Being thinner makes it easier to conceal. I carry it in the same holsters I used for the g26. Mostly it's an mtac. And I use a 511 casual belt. Both are excellent products.

I shoot both guns about the same. This is one time having small hands is a good thing!

For me it's not an either or thing. I will be adding another g26 or g27 in the future. I like options!
ghost1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 20:35   #15
Deaf Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post
I can't compare the Shield to a G-26 because I've always passed on the baby Glock (a G-33) because I could never warm up to curling my pinkie underneath the magazine.
Either get a Pearce extended floorplate or just a Glock 26 +2 mag. Yes P2. 12 shot mag and no dangling pinkie.

Easy CCW carry and virtually the firepower of a Browning High Power 9mm (and it last alot longer than the P-35 ever could.)

Deaf
Old 10-16-2014, 21:00   #16
rock_castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb07 View Post
One is slimmer and conceals better, the other holds more ammo...... choose one
Yep. It really boils down to this.

Even though these are smaller guns, you still need a good sturdy belt and a decent holster. I prefer leather holsters from High Noon for my guns.
rock_castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 01:56   #17
Big1

Their is no prefect answer to this but to get an ideal is good I have a G27 and also have the Lone Wolf Conversion barrels in the 9mm and the .357 Sig so I can convert it to whatever I feel like. I have a Alien Gear holster with all of the shell for each gun.

Now I just pick up a Shield 9mm about two week ago and love it, it's my go-to gun like if I'm going to Wal-Mart or etc I can just put in on with no problem but it's not my main edc.

It's all depend what you looking for, if you don't have any sub-compact gun the G26 is ideal for your first sub-compact gun.

This is the Shield that I just pick up for $333 out the door.
Carry Issues
Carry Issues

Targets 15ft. 50 rounds
Carry Issues

25ft 50 rounds
Carry Issues

Good luck on your quest and let us know what you went with. Both can conceal perfect but the Shield is a little slimmer and can disappear with the right holster for the Shield I have an all Kydex holster on the way.

Last edited by Big1; 10-17-2014 at 02:03..
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 02:14   #18
Steve in PA

No experience with the Shield, but I have been carrying the G-26 for several years.

When wearing on a belt, I carry my G-26 in an Aker Flatsider leather holster. I like this holster a lot and have one for my Sig P220 and S&W 6906.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps. Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945"
Steve in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:15   #19
Bozz10mm

I have a Shield 9 and love it. With the extended mag, it's 8+1. But, I want a G26 too. Maybe my next gun.
Bozz10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:56   #20
Sublimeon24s

My friend has a Shield, I dont like it. Im not a fan of the grip at all. That being said, I just sold my single stack XDS to get a gen 4 G26. I loved the XDS but I have thought about the G26 for a few years now and have came close to purchasing one many times. I am VERY glad I finally took the chance and did the swap. The G26 shoots so accurate for a gun its size its rediculous. Is it a little thicker? yea......but.....3 more rounds and with modern cell phones being the size of tablets and people wearing them with belt clips, I am not the slightest concerned if there happened to be the littlest bit of printing at my waist, nobody would give it a second look. I tuck my G26 in a kydex tuckable IWB, appendix carry at about 2pm and i dont even know its there.........in basketball shorts

Last edited by Sublimeon24s; 10-17-2014 at 05:57..
Sublimeon24s is offline   Reply With Quote