Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-01-2014, 15:20   #1
Drjones

Send a message via AIM to Drjones

Is OWB generally more comfortable than IWB?

My primary carry gun is a Springfield Professional. I consider it to be objectively one of the finest pistols in existence and I also shoot it extremely damn well.

That said, I have a VMII that I like, but wonder if OWB wouldn't be a bit more comfortable for such a large & heavy pistol. I'm considering a High Noon Slideguard holster.

I know there are many, many different factors that decide "comfort" when carrying, but as a general rule, wouldn't OWB be more comfortable than IWB?

I did my research & seems like the slideguard is a great holster, just don't want to drop almost $200 on it w/o being able to return it, without asking a few more questions.

My belt is a Wilderness 1.75" CSM with the polymer stiffener.

Any input/advice is appreciated. Thank you!
Old 01-01-2014, 15:23   #2
Dave514

"Objectively", yes.
“I will not attack your doctrines nor your creeds if they accord liberty to me. If they hold thought to be dangerous - if they aver that doubt is a crime, then I attack them one and all, because they enslave the minds of men."
Robert Ingersoll
Dave514 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 15:53   #3
4Rules

The answer also depends upon what you will be doing while you're wearing it...like sitting in a form-fitting automobile seat, for example.

Last edited by 4Rules; 01-01-2014 at 16:01..
4Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 15:59   #4
Lockback
Polymerlicious!

Yeah, OWB is usually more comfortable, because it's not squeezed between your waist and your belt line.
To some of us, IWB can be a little uncomfortable, but the concealment factor makes up for it.
Lockback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 16:32   #5
1canvas

for carrying a 1911 I prefer an IWB like a SuperTuck. when I used an OWB it was ok but no mater what OWB holster I had to keep the belt really tight to keep it up and close.
Old 01-01-2014, 16:52   #6
oldman11

It depends on the holster, but generally the OWB is more comfortable. However, the IWB is usually easier to hide.
oldman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 18:31   #7
seanmac45
CLM Number 38
Charter Lifetime Member

IWB is MUCH more comfortable with a 5" 1911. OWB means you will be banging the crap out of your piece as you go through doorways, pass between cars and navigate other tight spots. Not to mention having the gun's muzzle hang up on the arms of chairs as you sit down. IMO it also puts additional strain on your lower back as the gun is constantly trying to lateral on you and OWB also restricts my range of movement more.

Other than that OWB is great.
Old 01-01-2014, 23:19   #8
cloudbuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmac45 View Post
IWB is MUCH more comfortable with a 5" 1911. OWB means you will be banging the crap out of your piece as you go through doorways, pass between cars and navigate other tight spots. Not to mention having the gun's muzzle hang up on the arms of chairs as you sit down. IMO it also puts additional strain on your lower back as the gun is constantly trying to lateral on you and OWB also restricts my range of movement more.

Other than that OWB is great.
You're doing OWB wrong.

If you're banging your piece as you go through doorways, passing between cars, etc., you're using the wrong holster. A concealed OWB holster should hold the gun virtually as close to your body as an IWB holster.

If it's hanging up on chairs, you're using the wrong holster. A high-rise holster will keep the muzzle high enough to avoid that.

If it's trying to "lateral" on you, you're using the wrong holster. a pancake-style holster with two wide-spaced attachment points will have almost zero lateral motion.

If it's restricting your range of motion, you're -- can you guess? -- using the wrong holster. I can't even imagine how a good quality well-fitting OWB holster is restricting your range of motion.

ETA: Looks like the high noon slideguard he's considering is exactly the right type of holster. I use FIST holsters that are generally similar in design.
"A constitutional guarantee subject to future judges’ assessments of its usefulness is no constitutional guarantee at all." -- Justice Antonin Scalia, DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA ET AL. v. HELLER, June 26, 2008

Last edited by cloudbuster; 01-01-2014 at 23:36..
cloudbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:28   #9
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

I'd stick with OWB holsters from Milt Sparks, but then I am biased.

And yes, OWB is more comfortable.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:10   #10
SevenSixtyTwo

I prefer my Fobus Evolution paddle holster over any other I've owned or tried. Holds my G26 snug to my side and comfortably.

Last edited by SevenSixtyTwo; 01-02-2014 at 08:11..
SevenSixtyTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:26   #11
3MagDep

Ok- crush me now but I wear a standard Glock holster OWB with my Mdl 27 with a Leatherman belt. COMFORTABLE and of course it fits the gun and is high and tight. A holster is very individual to everyone. How many of us have a drawer full of different ones that didn't pan out. Carry whats good for you. Maybe you can borrow one from a friend before investing 200 large. Good luck.
3MagDep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:30   #12
Lior
GUNS=FREEDOM

It depends on the carry system as a whole- having a decent holster and pants that can accommodate your own girth with that of a gun helps for IWB carry.
My experience is that driving with a C-TAC is more comfortable than driving with a Safariland 6070, but my default for CCW is OWB these days, because I have gained weight without getting bigger trousers.
Rust and bureaucrats. Freedom and vigilance. Front sight and trigger. Kindness and firepower. Situational awareness and tolerance. Safety and concealment. Taxes and allegiance. Love of man and surgical marksmanship. Once a soldier, always a soldier.

Last edited by Lior; 01-02-2014 at 11:32..
Lior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:56   #13
Diesel_Bomber

I prefer OWB for comfortable carrying.

That said, a quality holster makes more of a difference than IWB vs OWB. Both can be good or both can be hell depending on the holster.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Diesel_Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:06   #14
dregotglock
CHL Instructor

OWB can be more comfortable than IWB but to be candid IWB is easier to conceal for most.

I will change between the two depending on weather - dress - and activity.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:32   #15
ca survivor

yes and faster to draw from, at least for me.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:42   #16
oldsoldier

OWB is more comfortable for me as long as the holster doesn't ride too high. I just about always carry OWB. I prefer the ride height of the old Alessi CQC/S type holsters. They are the most comfortable type of OWB holsters I have tried. Many holster makers now make a similar holster. I also prefer IWB holsters to carry low and for that reason holsters such as the VMII carry a little too high for me in some gun models. Now a days I order holsters built the way I want from small shops. That's not a guarantee of comfort either based on the box of holsters in my closet.
oldsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 14:26   #17
SCmasterblaster

I'd say yes for sure. My Bianchi 4/4L is so comfortable, that I forget that I am wearing a G17.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:56   #18
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

Yes. Generally more comfortable and generally just as concealable (for me).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drjones View Post
My primary carry gun is a Springfield Professional. I consider it to be objectively one of the finest pistols in existence and I also shoot it extremely damn well.

That said, I have a VMII that I like, but wonder if OWB wouldn't be a bit more comfortable for such a large & heavy pistol. I'm considering a High Noon Slideguard holster.

I know there are many, many different factors that decide "comfort" when carrying, but as a general rule, wouldn't OWB be more comfortable than IWB?

I did my research & seems like the slideguard is a great holster, just don't want to drop almost $200 on it w/o being able to return it, without asking a few more questions.

My belt is a Wilderness 1.75" CSM with the polymer stiffener.

Any input/advice is appreciated. Thank you!
Old 01-06-2014, 09:45   #19
phillyr121

Owb

First make sure you have a good gun belt. Canted holster. You'll be fine.

"Walk a day in my Flip Flops" :-)
phillyr121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 15:15   #20
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
Is OWB generally more comfortable than IWB?

For me yes, generally. However (for me) it really depends on the gun and holster combination. Glock's carry really well IWB for me. My HK45 not so much but I can tolerate it. Revolvers, well I can just forget about carrying them IWB!